Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
The Hunter is my favorite recent Duncan by far, but it is apparently no longer sold individually. Don't even see it on the custom shop page. Is the Exciter essentially the same thing?
To my understanding the Exciter is basically the Hunter just rebranded. I haven't played with The Hunter in quite a while to compare it now, but to my best recollection it's pretty close to how the Exciter sounds/feels. Though I think my old Hunter pickup was slightly less DCR, like around 15.6k compared to the Exciter which is 16.6k.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
To my understanding the Exciter is basically the Hunter just rebranded. I haven't played with The Hunter in quite a while to compare it now, but to my best recollection it's pretty close to how the Exciter sounds/feels. Though I think my old Hunter pickup was slightly less DCR, like around 15.6k compared to the Exciter which is 16.6k.

If I had known this, I would've bought the Exciter recently.

I tried a Black Winter in my Soloist after all the slobbering praise here, but just couldn't sync with the low/mid voicing of it at all. So I went back to my old faithful, the Distortion, which is great. But only after I had concluded the Hunter was no longer available.....dammit....🤬

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
If I had known this, I would've bought the Exciter recently.

I tried a Black Winter in my Soloist after all the slobbering praise here, but just couldn't sync with the low/mid voicing of it at all. So I went back to my old faithful, the Distortion, which is great. But only after I had concluded the Hunter was no longer available.....dammit....🤬

How would you compare the low/mids voicing of the Black Winter vs the Distortion? I also removed the Black winter in a Soloist and went back to my Invaders. Didn't quite like the high end on the Black Winters.

Marked Man

Reaction score
How would you compare the low/mids voicing of the Black Winter vs the Distortion? I also removed the Black winter in a Soloist and went back to my Invaders. Didn't quite like the high end on the Black Winters.

I actually liked the top end edge of the Black Winter for leads, but it lacked the thick lower mids and tighter + bigger bottom of the Distortion. I LOVE good mids!

A pickup with stout mids A/Bs extremely well vs other pickups on the same amp, same settings. I don't want to have to adjust my graphic EQ just for one pickup on one guitar of many, and I would have had to for the BW to fit in.

ManOnTheEdge

Reaction score
Got the SLV/SLV/85 set in the Strat now.

Really like the tone but the output seems low in comparison to my passive loaded guitars.

I.e I have to crank the input on my interface (Scarlett 4i4) whereas i have the input pad engaged on my RG and Les Paul to keep the halo in the green.

May take me a little time to adjust to the logistics of switching between my active and passive guitars (been 20 years since I last had EMG’s)

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have been in a bass mood for a while, and EMG offerings for bass are imho a more obvious choice than for guitar. I mean, even on the passive side of things, their P-bass Geezer Butler model is killer.
I bought a Geezer P that I have yet to install in something. I only have one P bass my dad got for me as my first instrument. I've done a couple mods to it but I can't bring myself to change the heart of that bass even for a great pickup!

I did put a PX in a different P bass years ago that sounded really good. I wish they'd make something that fit Dingwall's newer rounded pickups, I'd definitely try that.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering. Do you guys have any experience with the 24V / 18V mods on the X-series EMGs? Do they still improve or there's no difference? I can't seem to find much information around since most tests are with the classic models.

I've been considering getting back to actives for live shows in one of my bands, and I was considering the X-series as a possible happy compromise.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was wondering. Do you guys have any experience with the 24V / 18V mods on the X-series EMGs? Do they still improve or there's no difference? I can't seem to find much information around since most tests are with the classic models.

I've been considering getting back to actives for live shows in one of my bands, and I was considering the X-series as a possible happy compromise.
Is it difficult to get EMG's where you are? I'd think if you generally like the classics it's a pretty safe bet to try an X series.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I’ve been playing all 25 times of my guitars regularly and came to a conclusion. I really like my EMG 81’s and 707’s, though the bare knuckle blackhawks are great. I was surprised how much I liked the Dimebucker once I adjusted the EQ. I’ve got a set of SD jupiters I want to try out, and some SD distortions (parallel axis version as well).
There’s just something about the 81 that really compliments my style, it’s like there’s nothing missing, all the tones I want accentuated are there. Using an EQ really helped me figure out that they are probably going to become my ‘go to’.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it difficult to get EMG's where you are? I'd think if you generally like the classics it's a pretty safe bet to try an X series.
To try an X-series is not the problem. The problem is getting the 24V mod shipped here which adding customs it costs almost like one pickup. And I don't think I can fit three 9V batteries on the guitar :lol:

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score

Yes. "Improve" is relative. In my case, I removed someone else's 18v mod and put it back to 9v because I think they sound better that way, but I can see why others prefer them at 18v.

(I should probably add that I'm a bassist, so I'm putting more load on the battery than your average guitarist)

To try an X-series is not the problem. The problem is getting the 24V mod shipped here which adding customs it costs almost like one pickup. And I don't think I can fit three 9V batteries on the guitar :lol:
Shipped? Just build it. Add a 3rd battery connector in series for 24v. As a bonus, you can easily swap back and forth and determine for yourself if 9/18/24v better for you.

sGINNjy.jpg

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yes. "Improve" is relative. In my case, I removed someone else's 18v mod and put it back to 9v because I think they sound better that way, but I can see why others prefer them at 18v.

(I should probably add that I'm a bassist, so I'm putting more load on the battery than your average guitarist)

Shipped? Just build it. Add a 3rd battery connector in series for 24v. As a bonus, you can easily swap back and forth and determine for yourself if 9/18/24v better for you.

View attachment 142673
They can't fit 3 batteries.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
You can probably just Jerry rig something without needing the actual clip if you wanna test it. Just get some wire, tape, and a 9v clip. Just tape a wire to the opposite ends of the batteries (positive to negative), tape each wire of the 9v clip to the other end (matching poles to the wires obvs), and tape it all together. Ghetto as hell, but it'll be a test just to see if it's worth it.

EDIT: Yknow what, I just bought a couple of A23s on Amazon just to see if this works. :lol: Heck I'm also gonna see if I have them at work tomorrow and also pick some up there too

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you know for a fact running at 9v won't cut it for your needs?