Anyone tried D Activator 7´s?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´m really intrigued by the Dimarzio D Activators for my 7 string... they tickle my pickle if you will...
i had actually decided to go for the Blaze neck in the bridge position, but the D Activator 7 Bridge just might change that...

the reason i´m asking is that they seem like THE perfect pickups... only thing is they could have been slightly less LOUD :p
by perfect i mean they have the articulate clean-ness of an EMG, without the compression and sterility... and i don´t expect it to be perfectly faithfull, but if it´s as much as close to that, i´m in! :p

so yeah... anyone have any experience with the DiMarzio D Activator pickups, on either 6 or 7 strings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i;v been wondering the same thing, i'm an emg fanboy, but everyone says that the d-activator is like an emg beefed up, i'm lookin into perhapse grabin a set as well

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´ve heard some clips over at jemsite, but it´s not showing off the differences very well... it´s just the same rhythm rack played first n the d-activators then on the emgs and then on d activators again... sounds pretty much the same, except EMGs are even louder, and have some more low mids...

and i heard someone say that the d activators had a really nice textured high end, like really detailed kind of a clean sound... so if i´m able to get one, i think i´ll be going for it :p

anyone else with an opinion on these?

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
i´ve heard some clips over at jemsite, but it´s not showing off the differences very well... it´s just the same rhythm rack played first n the d-activators then on the emgs and then on d activators again... sounds pretty much the same, except EMGs are even louder, and have some more low mids...

and i heard someone say that the d activators had a really nice textured high end, like really detailed kind of a clean sound... so if i´m able to get one, i think i´ll be going for it :p

anyone else with an opinion on these?

The D Activator Neck sounds like a single coil with a humbucker's power, it has alot of high end but it's not harsh, if you like the EMG 707, the D Activator Neck is very similiar.

If you're looking for one cheap, I have one for sale here.....

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i have a gift certificate in a store to pay for it, and i live in norway anyways, but thanks for the offer :)

do you know anything about the bridge model? it´s the one i´m the most intrigued with...

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I don't, but a couple of others have tried it, the bridge model seems to get good reviews.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
The DA7 bridge sounds pretty compressed to me, and loud as fucking hell. Louder than an 81, IMO. The 81 has a terrific attack, and initial clarity, that (to me), really translates the notes well. The DA7 kindasorta has that, but it's more like a slam in the face. Like it tries to approximate the EMG vibe with output.

It's super, super balanced - no one frequency stands out, pretty compressed, is very nice for single-note definition, but it loses that somewhat when you put 2 or more notes together (diads, triads, etc.), compared to a real EMG 81, or so the Dimarzio D Sonic 7. It's because it's so loud, balanced, and compressed.

Cleans were actually kinda cool, except they WILL distort the shit out of the clean channel unless you roll the volume way down.

Overall, it's an odd, but interesting pickup. Not main player caliber, for me. I'd rather have the traditional qualities of a passive if I'm going passive, or a real EMG if I'm looking for that active vibe.

:2c:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
hmm... doesen´t sound like what i´m after then... i wish i could ask them to have it wound with a lower output, that would be sweet...

longwoodmobb

Reaction score
i need new humbuckers and these look really good (the D Activator's) I have a 7 String Washburn WG587. Anyone know if there fit it??

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
Just heard EDROZ's to night at band practice in his CARVIN they sound great!! not for me but sound great!!!

longwoodmobb

Reaction score
i don't know, turns out the chord was bad on my guitar thats why the sustain and sound would die off. I thought it was the pick-ups. But now they scream all down the neck. There amazing for stock pick ups. Id still like to try out the D activators. Just so much work installing them.

thanks by the way

does anyone know where i can find any sound clips of the Dactivators?

Latest posts