Anyone tune a 7 to C standard ?

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
I never know where to put these questions so beginners will do

So I was playing and drinking some beer last night and I have a few riffs I've been tinkering with on my 6 in C standard but the strings on that guitar were rusted out unplayable . so I thought I'll just bump my 7 up half a step rather than drop a drop D guitar down and deal with the interval changes on 7

was pretty interesting tuning up .I'm actually thinking of spending time setting it up that way for a while thkis weekend and seeing how it goes . a bit too much tenison on the high strings with 10's but felt like 11's really .If I do it will go down to 9's

is tuning up the new tuning down ? probably not but its interesting

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Not quite the same, but currently playing C standard with 5 string bass that gives a top whateveritis...

jerm

Reaction score
My band's (Incarnia) EP was recorded in C standard using 6 strings. When I got a 7 string I tuned it up to C standard.

Eventually we tuned down to B standard for our album.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
as far as i know, Keith Merrow does that on his song, the one he uses in his 6 string pickups comparison video.

on the original recording, he tunes either a 7 to drop A# (down from C standard), or a 6 to drop A# but with the second string up half a step (so that the interval between the second or the third string is a 4th) but that's just according to the tabs i saw.

... and i just realised you wanted C, not A#. sorry, my bad

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
I did for C standard for my band, and I may be going back to that. I like it, it made the sound really snappy to my ears. I was playing a RGD with 09's and then I switched to 08's.

whammybarofdeth

Reaction score
I really dig this as well. I also got the idea from jamming some Keith Merrow, as he tunes to drop Bb sometimes. I personally don't like drop tunings so I raised my 7 back up a whole step and....boom

Promit

Reaction score
I tried it for a while. Doesn't work well on 27" IMO but it should be fine on a 25.5".

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I did at one point tune my LTD H-207 up to C standard, with a normal D'Addario 10-59 set on it, and it felt and sounded pretty dang good, actually. The high F was a little tight, but every other string felt fine.