Anyone using tube preamps on solid state poweramps?

• Thread starter GÜMERSINDO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
sometimes even using a single tube
I'm picturing those pedals that would stick a tube in them, but they just lit up and weren't actually in the signal path. I can't remember which ones they were, but I'm reasonable certain they're out there.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's been my experience that a SS preamp into a tube poweramp yields the best results if you're going for a hybrid set-up, IF you still want a warmer feel. Some might want that stiffness if they're playing styles that require a tighter attack.

Not the same principle exactly but there are few tones I've heard more brutal than a Master Effects Misanthrope into the clean channel of my Orange Rockerverb Mark III 100 coming out of a Mesa 4x12, and for an added kick in the ass, my PRS is in Drop D flat with a D-Sonic in the bridge. Just God. Damn.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Solid state -> tube amp = sevenstring.org sound
(dist pedal) (5150)

I'm picturing those pedals that would stick a tube in them, but they just lit up and weren't actually in the signal path. I can't remember which ones they were, but I'm reasonable certain they're out there.

Blackstar HT-Dual actually makes a good preamp in the effects loop even. Super versatile as well. Has a built in Boost/OD.

I have done HT-Dual into a Torpedo Cab M into a PA and got good results. Then you can just use headphones when practicing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
I have an Orange pedal baby 100 that sounds great with preamps run into it, ss or tube. Interestingly, I have an AMT solid state R2, as well as their tube R/S (both rectifier derived preamps), and I prefer the solid state R2.
Cool, did you run another tube preamp beside the AMT into the poweramp?

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but which modeler are you using? If it's a capable one I'd recommend maybe getting a Fryette Power Station, or any potential cheap rackable tube power amp if that's a possibility.

My setup lately has been a Fractal Axe II XL+ into a Fryette 2/50/2 -- it feels and sounds real good. I think something like an HX Stomp would be great through a tube power amp, too.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but which modeler are you using? If it's a capable one I'd recommend maybe getting a Fryette Power Station, or any potential cheap rackable tube power amp if that's a possibility.

My setup lately has been a Fractal Axe II XL+ into a Fryette 2/50/2 -- it feels and sounds real good. I think something like an HX Stomp would be great through a tube power amp, too.
POD Go. Sounds great through powered monitors with the latest cab update. The Power Station is above my budget, but if I´m not mistaken is tube powered, no?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
A lot of the ones where it did - or even hybrid amps, for that matter - reside in the signal path, it was just a single tube, and more often than not only a single stage in a cascading gain stage that was otherwise mostly solid state. You don't get Valvestate-levels of gain out of one 12AX7.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
A lot of the ones where it did - or even hybrid amps, for that matter - reside in the signal path
I've read in some places that it would have minimal impact if at all. I couldn't find it, but I could have sworn I saw a teardown someone did of a pedal that had a tube in it, where it was literally just wired up as a lightbulb. It was entirely placebo. Maybe the in-the-signal path ones are too. I dunno.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
POD Go. Sounds great through powered monitors with the latest cab update. The Power Station is above my budget, but if I´m not mistaken is tube powered, no?

Yeah it is tube powered. It's actually a really versatile tool for recording tube amps, too, but you could use it strictly as a power amp.

vidobali

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hybrid setups can be a great compromise between tube warmth and solid-state practicality. The Victory Kraken pedal sounds promising for that tube amp vibe without the bulk.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've read in some places that it would have minimal impact if at all. I couldn't find it, but I could have sworn I saw a teardown someone did of a pedal that had a tube in it, where it was literally just wired up as a lightbulb. It was entirely placebo. Maybe the in-the-signal path ones are too. I dunno.
I mean, a single gain stage in a high gain circuit - and I guess the high gain channels of my Mark V have four gain stages, which is probably a good benchmark - isn't going to do all that much more than look pretty, anyway. Definitely could be a few where the tube is 100% cosmetic, too.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IIRC a single 12AX7 can provide 2 gain stages, not that it'd make a big difference within a mostly ss circuit...

The hybrid (& inexpensive) Joyo Zombie ii however does sound awesome!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I´m between this or Kraken, or maybe look in the used market for an Engl rack preamp.
I have both. Ask away.

The giveaway for tube pedals is power draw. If they're drawing less than 500mA chances are you're being scammed.

I used to have a humming microphonic tube that I used for checking that kind of stuff. If the pedal didn't hum like mad, the tube wasn't doing shit :lol:

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
IIRC a single 12AX7 can provide 2 gain stages, not that it'd make a big difference within a mostly ss circuit...

The hybrid (& inexpensive) Joyo Zombie ii however does sound awesome!
True, I was sort of assuming that one side would be the phase inverter and another a single gain stage, but there's no reason to assume that, I suppose.

Still, a single 12ax7 is still going to give you about as much gain as your typical clean channel even if you run both sides - you can push it into light breakup but no one would confuse it with even a JCM800.