Anything weird about this fretboard?

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So I'm looking at this used guitar, and it's not a scalloped board, but I noticed this somewhat regular rolling along the fretboard edge. Is this some normal stuff?

271492841_671875450841701_6383791687121961892_n.png

270672274_514880816514296_4818520429672610506_n.png

Like that's not what I thought rolled fret ends was referring to.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That happens when the wood shrinks a bit or gets discolored on the fretboard. Really only noticeable when taking pictures. A couple of my guitars are like that if it’s the same problem.

narad

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've seen that intentionally done for a rolled edge board feel before?

From rolled edge fretboard image results

tyler-mongoose-special2-630-80.jpg

Ah ya, that looks close. It just looks so shoddy to me, both in the one I posted and in this image. Not as consistent as like a Malmsteen neck scallop arc.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a fairly extreme example of "rolled fretboard edges", typically it's a LOT more subtle, but I've seen it like this before. It's not problem unless you think it's ugly, it shouldn't impede function.

narad

Reaction score
That's a fairly extreme example of "rolled fretboard edges", typically it's a LOT more subtle, but I've seen it like this before. It's not problem unless you think it's ugly, it shouldn't impede function.

Yea, I see now this is something Tyler offers in like not rolled, normal roll, heavy roll. Pretty extreme.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, I see now this is something Tyler offers in like not rolled, normal roll, heavy roll. Pretty extreme.

Most of the "old school" boutique Strat shops offer it: Suhr, Tyler, Anderson, etc.

It was originally a Fender Custom Shop option from the 90's which sort got a life of its own. I think John Suhr might even of had something to do with it gaining popularity.

narad

Reaction score
Well I guess I'll find out hands-on :)

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
Definitely rolled fretboard edges like said previously! Old 60-70's guitars sometimes also have fretboards that look similar to this but from actual playing wear.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Wait...do factory 'rolled edges' really look like that between the frets? The times when I specifically noticed "rolled edges", the whole fretboard side, seemed like it was rounded over before the frets were installed, and then the fret ends were dressed to it. I suppose the pictured result makes more sense from a "trying to replicate decades of wear" type of effect, and preserves the full fret width, but it sure does look odd.

narad

Reaction score
Your Daemoness should have rolled edges

My Daemoness needed it badly. I'm not sure I'm pro rolled edges, but those wide flat things like Daemoness or Mayones, I'm guessing they could really use it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wait...do factory 'rolled edges' really look like that between the frets? The times when I specifically noticed "rolled edges", the whole fretboard side, seemed like it was rounded over before the frets were installed, and then the fret ends were dressed to it. I suppose the pictured result makes more sense from a "trying to replicate decades of wear" type of effect, and preserves the full fret width, but it sure does look odd.

Factory? Nah. At least anything extremely recent or mainstream. You used to see this every so often on stuff from the 90's.

Though typically it was added later.