Appraising My Guitars

• Thread starter neurosis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score
(Not sure what section I should post this in so please move it if it's not in the right place.)

I want to put my guitars into climate controlled storage while I move overseas. I have purchase receipts for some of them but for others I need to get a certified appraisal.
Is there an agency or official entity that usually takes care of this? I am being asked to provide qualifications and description of standards used to appraise so I imagine the more well known or established the better.

I understand this may not be a frequent or common thing to do but thought I'd post anyway and see if you guys have heard or know better.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmmm….not to get too technical but I have appraised all of my guitars and I do my best to keep them mint just right at home with climate, temperatures and all. Pure and simple (and I’ve had some case queens). Especially some of them that I play very occasionally. I do have a dehumidifier that I love.Not sure if this helps but knowing the value and worth justifies your question. I just do it the way I feel is simple, the best and affordable. Home sweet home.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
(Not sure what section I should post this in so please move it if it's not in the right place.)

I want to put my guitars into climate controlled storage while I move overseas. I have purchase receipts for some of them but for others I need to get a certified appraisal.
Is there an agency or official entity that usually takes care of this? I am being asked to provide qualifications and description of standards used to appraise so I imagine the more well known or established the better.

I understand this may not be a frequent or common thing to do but thought I'd post anyway and see if you guys have heard or know better.

Thanks!

Who is requesting the appraisal, your insurer, or the storage company? I'm guessing the latter, and that it's bundled coverage.

Every storage place I've used just asks for self-estimated values. I'd assume redeeming coverage in the event of loss would be a nightmare, but sometimes that's a risk you have to take if you can't find better service.

Insurers will be more scrupulous in requesting appraisals if a policy hinges on a particular item or collection of items. That's not all bad, though, as the insurer would probably have suggestions on how to get a certified appraisal that they'd approve for the policy. You hear stories sometimes of people paying for their own appraisals, only to have their insurer disagree on the valuation and nominate a third-party appraiser they approve of.

Another solution might be to reach out to the builders of your guitars and request a price for replacing the instruments in the event of a loss. This may not suit your situation if you have vintage gear that has a used market price that the builder can't quantify.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Gruhn's does appraisals iirc. Carter vintage - anyone dealing real deal 50's les pauls strats and teles most likely. But I'd start at Gruhn's.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yea, as @Sermo Lupi is saying, I have had some of my guitars appraised before, and it was a tedious and prohibitively expensive process IMO. I would rather pay a bit extra for some storage company with ample relevant blanket insurance than try to independently insure them for this purpose.