Archetype Petrucci Test / critique my shitty mix

• Thread starter The Pierce Paradox
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Pierce Paradox

Reaction score
Long time lurker and bad poster. Looking at getting back into recording after several years away (kids/work etc.). Any mix/production comments and suggestions are appreciated!!

-All guitars: Kiesel Vader > > Archetype Petrucci (used all 4 different amps)
-IR GGD Cali
-Drums GGD Architects

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Can't really give any feedback about the mix since it sounds better than anything I've ever done (which is not much to say) but I liked the song. Listened the whole thing. :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
the guitar tones by themselves are really good, so don't worry too much about it, but IMO, the arrangement and the composition of the drum and bass really brings down the great guitar playing during the first section. Around 1:17 and onwards it sounds a lot more cohesive and the section after 2:40 is just perfect

clean guitar at 2:08 IMO is a tiny bit too present/80's sounding, but it's more of a personal taste thing

Regarding the mix; try to improve the drum and bass, as those are like 70% of the bulk of your mix, if you have a great sounding bass and drums, everything else falls into place by itself. Snare could have a bit more impact (turning up the room mic or something along those lines and EQ'ing out the low mids) Bass could be a bit more present too, adding some drive or highs. The final section I mentioned earlier can lend itself to sound absolutely huge with a few more tweaks so keep working on this ❤️

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
The only thing I can say with my untrained ears is that the mix sounds relatively dark compared to my references. I feel the high end just needs a little more presence in the rhythm guitars and maybe some high end EQ on the cymbals to make them a little more bright, but turn volume down to compensate a bit. I think that will allow this mix to breathe a bit better. The song itself and the recordings themselves sound killer.

The Pierce Paradox

Reaction score
Appreciate it friends. I agree the drums and bass need help. Will be working on those a bit more. Thanks again for checking it out