Archtop Hollow Body 7 String Project

• Thread starter skyclad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skyclad

Reaction score
Just bought this 7 string hollow body. Accidental purchase at low price, have no idea what to do next. Any ideas would be highly apprecaited.

This guitar was Epiphone Emperor Regent ancient sunburst, made in 1998 in South Korea at Peerless factory. 7 string neck was made by some luthier in Saint-Petersburg (Russia), and since then it became 7 string hollow body with flying Benedetto B7 pickup, 5 piece neck (flamed maple with some presumably mahagony stripes), quilted maple headstock.

Neck profile is D or even C, fretwork radius around 16.

Overall sound is typical for Epiphone Emperor Regent, quite good with Seymour Duncan Benedetto B7 with low gain amplification through VHT and Celestion 12 Greenback.

Since I like the sound of this guitar I can go to another luthier to renew it. Any ideas please, what schould be done (exept by burn it). Different bridge (tune-o-matic), locking tuners, another flying pickup, new electrics, trapezoid tailpeice, pearl inlays - what else?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_221345.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_221345.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20231217_215438_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_215438_com.android.chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20231218_221449.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_221449.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20231218_221416.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_221416.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20231218_224538.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_224538.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
If it aint broke dont fix it. Honestly id only replace things that you are having issues with. Does it tune smoothly? Does the bridge match the radius? Does it into ate properly? How is the neck angle? Like can you get the action low enough?

Cool guitar btw. Dont burn it

skyclad

Reaction score
Does it tune smoothly? Does the bridge match the radius? Does it into ate properly? How is the neck angle? Like can you get the action low enough?

Cool guitar btw. Dont burn it
It has problem with tuners, so I got to replace it asap. Also it seems to be some issues with bridge - it has some problems with intonation on 4th and 5th strings - that's why I'm looking into new tune-o-matic (probably) bridge or something else (please consider any other replacement).
Frets should be replaced too, maybe bronze alloy or stainless, don't know yet for sure.

Reaction score
The guitar looks cool, that's one of the types I'm missing in my collection, a 7 string Jazzbox.

This guitar is not fire wood!

Mandatory upgrades - locking tuners and nut (Graphtech preferably?).

If you're going for e refret, I'd go with Stainless Steel or Evo Gold (these may look better).

Bridge - it depends a lot on the sound you're after. Wood bridge will deliver a mellower tone and will wear faster which is maybe why you're having trouble intonating. A Tune'o'matic will deliver a brighter one.

Electronics - Do you feel you'll need tone variety or you'll get that from your fingers? If you need more variety, then more pickups and electronics switching and what not. If you're cool with the guitar as is, no need to change anything.

Not spoken of: STRINGS - What strings are you thinking in using there, roundwound, halfround or flatwound? They'll sound brighter to mellower / warmer. Strings are a subtle way to tune/EQ a guitar without any modification besides its original mechanics.

skyclad

Reaction score
The guitar looks cool, that's one of the types I'm missing in my collection, a 7 string Jazzbox.

This guitar is not fire wood!

Mandatory upgrades - locking tuners and nut (Graphtech preferably?).

If you're going for e refret, I'd go with Stainless Steel or Evo Gold (these may look better).

Bridge - it depends a lot on the sound you're after. Wood bridge will deliver a mellower tone and will wear faster which is maybe why you're having trouble intonating. A Tune'o'matic will deliver a brighter one.

Electronics - Do you feel you'll need tone variety or you'll get that from your fingers? If you need more variety, then more pickups and electronics switching and what not. If you're cool with the guitar as is, no need to change anything.

Not spoken of: STRINGS - What strings are you thinking in using there, roundwound, halfround or flatwound? They'll sound brighter to mellower / warmer. Strings are a subtle way to tune/EQ a guitar without any modification besides its original mechanics.

Nut made of natural bone and seems to be OK, no need for replacement.
Tone pot is almost dead, need to change it too. Probably wiil add some 'tone saver' resistors/capacitors, will dig into that later.

Also will check for EVO gold, thank you. Thought about Ibanez frets which they used in old L..A. Custom series, but its not easy to find it nowadays.

Strings flatwound, always. Use it even on 7 string superstrats.

p.s. Same on me, several 7 strings, including superstrat and acoustics, but missed 7 string archtop hollow body.

Last edited:

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
You can retrofit a tune o matic on there. The prosts probably wont be the right size but you could probably make it work. It looks like the bridge is chewed up from the strings. That would directly affect intonation as well as string radius. Maybe look into restoring the original bridge.

Id go for stainless steel frets. Just no reason not too. Evo gold is harder to find and expensive. Maybe look into a plek job. A plek refret is about 400-600$ if you get stainless and itll correct all the problems in the neck including the neck angle.

skyclad

Reaction score
You can retrofit a tune o matic on there. The prosts probably wont be the right size but you could probably make it work. It looks like the bridge is chewed up from the strings. That would directly affect intonation as well as string radius. Maybe look into restoring the original bridge.

Id go for stainless steel frets. Just no reason not too. Evo gold is harder to find and expensive. Maybe look into a plek job. A plek refret is about 400-600$ if you get stainless and itll correct all the problems in the neck including the neck angle.
Good idea to retrofit 7 string tune o matic. Maybe Tonepros TP7-Gold will fit the bridge with Evo gold frets and gold locking tunes.

skyclad

Reaction score
Trussrod will be replaced too, old one is over

Attachments

• IMG_20231221_010715_362.jpg
    IMG_20231221_010715_362.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 18

skyclad

Reaction score
Jescar EvoGold (left) vs Sintoms, different alloys, same price. Was hard to chose which one is better. Jescar is lighter, Sintoms looks more rigid and slightly heavier (made of some German tin bronze alloy, 3 mm wide). Was hard to choose, bought Sintoms finally

Attachments

• IMG_20231220_141400.jpg
    IMG_20231220_141400.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

mattier303

Reaction score
Sidk
Just bought this 7 string hollow body. Accidental purchase at low price, have no idea what to do next. Any ideas would be highly apprecaited.

This guitar was Epiphone Emperor Regent ancient sunburst, made in 1998 in South Korea at Peerless factory. 7 string neck was made by some luthier in Saint-Petersburg (Russia), and since then it became 7 string hollow body with flying Benedetto B7 pickup, 5 piece neck (flamed maple with some presumably mahagony stripes), quilted maple headstock.

Neck profile is D or even C, fretwork radius around 16.

Overall sound is typical for Epiphone Emperor Regent, quite good with Seymour Duncan Benedetto B7 with low gain amplification through VHT and Celestion 12 Greenback.

Since I like the sound of this guitar I can go to another luthier to renew it. Any ideas please, what schould be done (exept by burn it). Different bridge (tune-o-matic), locking tuners, another flying pickup, new electrics, trapezoid tailpeice, pearl inlays - what else?
Benedetto pickups, he’s the guru, jedi master, og archtop luthier

skyclad

Reaction score
Strange choice, right. But the sound of Seymour Duncan Benedetto B7 surprisingly suit this Peerless body.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240101_173810_com.sonyericsson.album.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_173810_com.sonyericsson.album.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

skyclad

Reaction score
Headstock in process of renewment. New Gotoh locking tuners, quilted maple with new binding and new truss-rod.

Attachments

• IMG-20240110-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240110-WA0001.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 11

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Gorgeous instrument. Obviously not the same since this is a beautiful one-off, but I remember seeing a jazz guy shredding a similar-looking archtop hollow 7 at a jazz bar one time.

skyclad

Reaction score
Was Benedetto style headstock (though mass production model), and will be Benedetto style headstock, based on Benedetto custom
Headstock in process of renewment. New Gotoh locking tuners, quilted maple with new binding and new truss-rod.

skyclad

Reaction score
Stage 1 with renewed neck is complete

Attachments

• IMG-20240219-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240219-WA0003.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20240219-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240219-WA0002.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20240219-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240219-WA0001.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
... I see dead bodies... 😁

... but it's not that guitar... is it canibal? is it a vampire? is that the guitar's lair? or is it just a cold bloody killer?

Lol, now a bit more seriously, looks good. are you done with modding / bring it back to life or is there anything else missing?

skyclad

Reaction score
Done with neck modding, but have no idea what should I do with that oval acoustic hole (which is not part of originial Epiphone Emperror resonant deck).
I"ve seen only few models with 3 holes (2 f holes and 3rd round or oval one), like on some guitars out of 60s, and I still can't get the reason for that deck modification.
So I think of modding resonant deck as well, but have no idea what to do next. Maybe I should put some flame top veneer on deck?

Strange choice, right. But the sound of Seymour Duncan Benedetto B7 surprisingly suit this Peerless body.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240119_212105.jpg
    Screenshot_20240119_212105.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 6