Are these parallel sixths?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I should probably put this in the beginner section, because I think my ears are broken. This is a Sonic Drive Studio video, and I really like the intervals he's playing starting at 8:03. I think they're sixths, but when I play it it doesn't sound like what he's doing, so I don't know if I'm completely off or what. Can one of you confirm these are sixths that he's doing, and it just sound better when he does it, vs me? :lol: :rant:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
They're thirds but it's two tracks panned L/R playing single notes.
Ohhhh, shoot, I didn’t realize it was two tracks. That probably explains why I couldn’t get any interval to sound right. That, and that my ear is trash. It did not sound like thirds at all to me.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I should probably put this in the beginner section, because I think my ears are broken. This is a Sonic Drive Studio video, and I really like the intervals he's playing starting at 8:03. I think they're sixths, but when I play it it doesn't sound like what he's doing, so I don't know if I'm completely off or what. Can one of you confirm these are sixths that he's doing, and it just sound better when he does it, vs me? :lol: :rant:

Hey man! Those are thirds yes, but not everything in there fits in the standard minor scale so some notes were changed a little bit. But that's the classic "Maiden harmony" basically with 3rds. I'm not the best at explaining theory haha

gnoll

Reaction score
You might already know this but throwing it out there for anyone who may find it useful:

3rds and 6ths are kinda sorta the same thing. They're inversions of each other.

If you have a melody with a harmony line a third above, and you push the lower line up an octave, all the minor 3rds become major 6ths and all the major 3rds become minor 6ths.

And the same when inverting chords. You could have a C major chord, but chuck the C up top so the E is in the bass. It sounds a bit different, because the difference between the C and E is a minor 6th and not a major 3rd. (And the 5th becomes a 4th.) But it still sounds very much like a C major chord, of course, because that's still what it is.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You might already know this but throwing it out there for anyone who may find it useful:

3rds and 6ths are kinda sorta the same thing. They're inversions of each other.

If you have a melody with a harmony line a third above, and you push the lower line up an octave, all the minor 3rds become major 6ths and all the major 3rds become minor 6ths.

And the same when inverting chords. You could have a C major chord, but chuck the C up top so the E is in the bass. It sounds a bit different, because the difference between the C and E is a minor 6th and not a major 3rd. (And the 5th becomes a 4th.) But it still sounds very much like a C major chord, of course, because that's still what it is.
Thanks. That, and the single tacking of two guitars, might be why I thought they were sixths. Whatever it is, I thought it sounded cool, and it sounded more unique than just regular thirds. And it looked like he was playing power chords on a dropped tuned string, which would have made them sixths.

Thanks for taking the time to post on this!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hey man! Those are thirds yes, but not everything in there fits in the standard minor scale so some notes were changed a little bit. But that's the classic "Maiden harmony" basically with 3rds. I'm not the best at explaining theory haha
No worries! I appreciate your letting me know. They just sound super cool!

Reaction score
... the initial riff sounded like Megadeth in the "Count Down to extinction" album... tone as well and as far as I know, they didn't use Mesa Boogie...

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
As an aside; Intro is a very good example of how sixths (also on two guitars) sound. They are playing octaves too so actually there is a third happening in the middle there, but yeah.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
6ths is also the intro to sparrows “cave eater” iirc.