Are you ready? Ibanez RG7321 OVERHAUL!! picssssss

Romeomeo

Reaction score
I bought this guitar with the intention of modding. Sanded the neck down, and had all sorts of crazy finish ideas and mods in mind.

With a little advice from SS.org, I began my venture.

STAWK PICs
3677676788_434e26186f_o.jpg

Aw sick, gross!

3677676854_9f12cc531f_o.jpg

Naked!
3676862273_e2f3ef0c2c_o.jpg

HELLO SUN

3676862333_9b2419662d_o.jpg

Farewell, paint

3676862411_3aef2a2711_o.jpg

HELLO DISSAPOINTING BASSWOOD GRAIN

3676862527_5eaf0ca2fb_o.jpg

Whatever, it's time to finish you.

3676862603_05958a0189_o.jpg

3677677294_e67581a61f_o.jpg

3676862725_8f92a46d09_o.jpg

Stooooked. Got a few coats of varathane or something on the back of the body and the neck. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm hoping the clear coat I sprayed on it will dry super smooth. I hate a sticky neck. BTW I'm leaving the black paint on the edges, thus masking tape.

Leaving it to dry until tomorrow.

I am going to leave the neck pickup out and wire it for just bridge pickup and volume pot. I think I'll just leave the neck pocket / pickup selector route / tone knob hole open because I don't care. Might wood filler it or something, any suggestions?

Will post more pics once more progress can be seen

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
Did you use a paint stripper as well or just elbow grease and sandpaper?

Im buying a RG knock off basswood body to practice stripping it back before I dive into my RG 7321 project

Bungle

Sir Roger Moore, KBE
Reaction score
I'd fill the holes if it was my guitar, but that's just me. What sort of finish were you looking at doing? Just the one colour? Perhaps a silver burst or something?

As for the bridge pickup, were you keeping the same one? If you're getting a new pickup, will it be black like the one you've already got, or will it be red or blue?

Another thread on here had a really good result using wallpaper too, so that'll probably just compound your choices and make your decision harder, but hey, that's why we're here. =D

Romeomeo

Reaction score
I didn't use any paint stripper, just sand paper and an electric palm sander.

It took a good hour for each side, and I didn't do the sides. Seriously, take lots of breaks. I feel like I have carpal tunnel now.

I'd fill the holes if it was my guitar, but that's just me. What sort of finish were you looking at doing? Just the one colour? Perhaps a silver burst or something?

As for the bridge pickup, were you keeping the same one? If you're getting a new pickup, will it be black like the one you've already got, or will it be red or blue?

Another thread on here had a really good result using wallpaper too, so that'll probably just compound your choices and make your decision harder, but hey, that's why we're here. =D

I'm leaving it natural and putting clear coat on the bare wood. Left the edges black.

Depending on how soon I finish this and my money situation.. I'll probably just put the stock pickup back in until I upgrade it.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
this'll be interesting :)

i would've stained the wood red first. because that's what i did to my rg :p

mine was black too, and once i was finished getting the paint off the top face of the guitar, i was like "fuck this!" and just left the rest of it black, while applying a red stain to any wood that was showing through :p

i did sand the finish on the rest of it too though, so it's a weird sort of matte black with micro-scratches in it. it feels smooth, so it's awesome :)

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i would have used tung oil instead of a spray on clearcoat, the tung would have really brought out any figuring in the basswood.

DemiseJosh

D34TH M3T4L
Reaction score
Cool project should come out sweet. Did you do anything to the neck? I'd get a prestige neck for it I love them!

What pickups you putting in of are you keeping the stock?

All in all sweet project man I wish I had the skill to do projects haha

Romeomeo

Reaction score
Ok, cool. Sanded it, clear coated it, done. Put it all back together, attempted to wire it. I went by a schematic for 1 humbucker 1 volume. Followed it, think I got everything right. Only, I don't have any strings to test it with. But it's all together and wired.

HELP.

I plugged it in for funsies. The volume pot functions, when I tap the pickup I don't hear the tapping noise through the amp. When I am touching the pickup, there is a loud hum. When I am not, there is a moderate hum. When I touch the bridge or the volume knob, the hum is gone.

All the ground symbols on the schematic are going to the back of the volume pot. I have a ground wire running from there through the body to under the bridge.

What is the problem?

(I'll have strings tomorrow)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
there wasn't any filler on yours? mine had this weird layer of transparent plasticky something right under the paint.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
What is the problem?

(I'll have strings tomorrow)

It's always good to have more than one grounded point. Without holding your guitar in my hands and looking at the wiring it's hard for me to say exactly, but if I had to guess I'd say the issue is that all your grounds are going to the same point.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ all the grounds going to the same point is a bad thing? :ugh:

i'm guessing this is the significance of the ground loop???

Romeomeo

Reaction score
It's always good to have more than one grounded point. Without holding your guitar in my hands and looking at the wiring it's hard for me to say exactly, but if I had to guess I'd say the issue is that all your grounds are going to the same point.

Does that mean different spots on the back of the volume pot? Or am I missing something?

*edit* NEVERMIND!

Got it strung up, no more hum, sounds wicked. This is a whole new instrument. Still got the stock pickup but I swear it sounds better. Maybe its because it's just pickup -> volume -> output. Might replace the pickup later, but all in all I am very happy for just two days work!!

DONE

pics

3681838049_3870504d8e_o.jpg

3681838111_39cc3ef4fc_o.jpg

3681838187_1a9903b843_o.jpg

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Does that mean different spots on the back of the volume pot? Or am I missing something?

*edit* NEVERMIND!

Got it strung up, no more hum, sounds wicked. This is a whole new instrument. Still got the stock pickup but I swear it sounds better. Maybe its because it's just pickup -> volume -> output. Might replace the pickup later, but all in all I am very happy for just two days work!!

DONE

pics

3681838049_3870504d8e_o.jpg

3681838111_39cc3ef4fc_o.jpg

3681838187_1a9903b843_o.jpg

Came out GREAT looking dude, congrats! :yesway:

Latest posts