Aristides Owners. Was It Worth It?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
you would think there shouldn't be much difference in weight, but my 070SR weighed under 7lbs...the neck was also basically flat it was so thin, so seeing people state 1) they are on the normal to heavier side and 2)the neck is a nice roundness to it, thin but not Ibby thin, makes me wonder if I had a special version lol

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you would think there shouldn't be much difference in weight, but my 070SR weighed under 7lbs...the neck was also basically flat it was so thin, so seeing people state 1) they are on the normal to heavier side and 2)the neck is a nice roundness to it, thin but not Ibby thin, makes me wonder if I had a special version lol

This recalls the conversation we're having in the neck width thread, a bunch of people have a particular guitar and yet there's quite a bit of variance as far as impressions on the size and weight. It's almost like our preconceived notions play a large part in how we interact and interpret this stuff. :lol:

jco5055

Reaction score
This recalls the conversation we're having in the neck width thread, a bunch of people have a particular guitar and yet there's quite a bit of variance as far as impressions on the size and weight. It's almost like our preconceived notions play a large part in how we interact and interpret this stuff. :lol:

I will say though that a friend of mine I sold the guitar to agreed the neck was so thin it was borderline unplayable, so anecdotally I'm 2-2 with that guitar lol

Avedas

Reaction score
Even just a maple neck + matching color maple board makes me unconsciously perceive a neck to be bigger. When I realized that I knew I couldn't trust anyone's opinion on how thick or thin a particular neck feels.

jco5055

Reaction score
Even just a maple neck + matching color maple board makes me unconsciously perceive a neck to be bigger. When I realized that I knew I couldn't trust anyone's opinion on how thick or thin a particular neck feels.

Yeah when I was talking to a friend of mine about Vigier guitars, he was like "I know you don't like thin necks so I wouldn't bother, they are the thinnest necks out there, much thinner than Aristides" and I was confused as the actual thickness measurements online would suggest that is not the case at all. When I got one I did confirm that the neck was fine for me, but goes to show how everyone perceives necks diffrently.

Hell if everyone was like me thin C necks would not be the popular thing lol

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I don't trust people on neck profiles off of impressions alone :lol:

I still remember getting a Luke 3 and my buddy picking it up for the first time and saying he really likes how broad the shoulders of the neck were. I never corrected him but yeah, I also never really describe necks like most people do. Calipers are cheap, you can get the neck thickness/width and know exactly what you're holding.

SVMMONYR

Reaction score
I have a headless aristides H08R and the thing literally weighs nothing, its the lightest guitar that I own. The body is very resonant and loud sounding acoustically. The neck is thin and similar to an RG2228 would be, still prefer the aristides neck. The feel is great and on the raw series the texture of the back of the neck is just great imo.

The only negative thing I have to say is that with the trem model headless, imo, there is a bit of a design flaw when playing sitting down. The cavity where the tremolo is situated is very small in that you can easily let the trem rest on your leg when playing sitting down which of course affects the tune of the guitar immediately. It requires some adjusting when sitting down and playing and you always have to like keep that in mind. Less than ideal and would have been an easy fix just to let the body get farther out of the guitar where the tremolo cavity is located. This is when you play in a classical position.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Yes.

I say that about as emphatically as I can.

This is THE best neck I have played. (080r) Width specs wise, it’s almost exactly the same as the neck of my Ibanez S8, but in playing, the 080 neck plays much, MUCH easier. It almost feels closer to the necks on my 6 strings Soloists. I’m don’t exactly know how to describe it. This neck is just incredibly easy to play. I’ve had to make a bit of a concentrated effort to pay more attention because I’ve found myself descending past the nut a few times as I’m getting more used to the neck. Smooth is an understatement.

I want to do a full NGD post, but between physical maladies and weather, I haven’t been able to get decent pics. What I’ll say here though, is this 080 is the only other guitar I’ve owned besides my Black Cherry SL2H Soloist that I instantly bonded with. And the 080 not only surpassed all of my expectations, but the things I was worried or apprehensive about ended up being complete non-issues.

Most certainly worth it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Whens the last time OP posted or checked this thread :lol:

soliloquy

Reaction score
Whens the last time OP posted or checked this thread :lol:
seems like January, 2021 was his last post. I hope the Panda-Party didn't take him

as for the topic....i'm really tempted by this brand. Maybe one day, i'll order their tele or something. the rest of the shapes aren't my thing