At the Gates fires Jonas Stalhammar

• Thread starter NoodleFace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Oh shit. Doesn't he have a solar sig? Wonder how Ola will treat this.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
"Jonas Stahammar, guitarist for the legendary Swedish melodic death metal band At the Gates, is using his online presence and his status as a member of one of metal's most influential bands to target and coerce people, including fans, into sexual relationships with him."

Yea, dude. That's kind of the idea. Get rich, or get famous, or get handsome, or get funny, then use it to get someone to sleep with you.

His conversation was cringe, and anyone keeping a book log of people they slept with is probably a dirtbag, but I don't see how this behavior with someone of age is itself straddling the boundary from lame into worth cancelling. Not from this snippet of convo anyway.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Wait actually was the girl underage or are they firing him for....having sex with a lot of people?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
It's not because he's having sex with people, it's because he's using his status to coerce them into sex. The way he repeatedly pushes on boundaries is a massive red flag. People like that don't take no for an answer.

Turning it around on the person he was very obviously trying to coerce over and over is fucked but it's also completely expected.

Burn your fucking idols.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Live by the online creep, die by the online creep.

:shrug:

If he was really bothering her, she should have blocked him. But, hey, he was being a dirtbag so it was only a matter of time before someone who wants their five minutes of fame would post that shit publicly.

Was firing him reactionary? Yeah. But I doubt they didn't know about this behavior forever ago. Just don't want the bad press.

Real talk though, does anyone in 2022 give a shit about At The Gates? Total Streisand Effect. :2c:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean, I think it's safe to say there were no innocent parties here.

Most appropriate things to come out of this were telling the guy's girlfriend, telling the band (if there's a concern doing some creepo shit under their name), and **maybe** posting it online as a warning to anyone else that crosses him. Gleefully posting all the other stuff like it's vengeance is just... something that brings the intent of the rest of it into question. Doesn't negate it, just makes it a little less heroic.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Live by the online creep, die by the online creep.

:shrug:

If he was really bothering her, she should have blocked him. But, hey, he was being a dirtbag so it was only a matter of time before someone who wants their five minutes of fame would post that shit publicly.

Was firing him reactionary? Yeah. But I doubt they didn't know about this behavior forever ago. Just don't want the bad press.

Real talk though, does anyone in 2022 give a shit about At The Gates? Total Streisand Effect. :2c:
ATG is the band that got me into death metal back with SOtS release and I haven't given a shit about them since... Then.

Their new music can't hold a candle to the old stuff.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah at the gates were huge to me growing up, then when I got back into metal and realized they were still a thing and hadnt broken up it was "meh." afterward.

Dwellingers

Reaction score
Nothing illeagal just plain sad behavior. Band is probably tired of keeping his debauchery under cover and cut him loose. I would be really tired if I as a band member should "keep a secret" for other members...

Stålhammer is btw "Steelhammer" - he probably lived by this mantra and keept him hunting.