Awesome way to direct mount humbuckers without drilling out the threaded mounting holes

• Thread starter nightsprinter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I came upon this last year when trying to figure out how to direct mount humbuckers in such a way that I don't need to bore out the mounting holes on them- so if I lose interest in a particular set, I can resell them undamaged so prospective buyers can mount them with rings if they choose to.

Here's the link- https://www.projectguitar.com/tutor...le-pickup-mounting-with-threaded-inserts-r77/

I followed the directions step by step and even bought identical hardware from Mcmaster-Carr and I won't direct mount buckers any other way again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Idk how effective the are for all pickups, but I like to use pickup mounting ring screws as well. The threads are just as big as baseplate threads, but a good bit of the actual screw is unthreaded so they just float in the screwhole. And if the screw holes are too wide in the body, just use some toothpicks to add some bite.

The only drawback is they're not the longest screws, so if you have to set the pickups very high, they may not reach.

71cR3jljaaL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
I came upon this last year when trying to figure out how to direct mount humbuckers in such a way that I don't need to bore out the mounting holes on them- so if I lose interest in a particular set, I can resell them undamaged so prospective buyers can mount them with rings if they choose to.

Here's the link- https://www.projectguitar.com/tutor...le-pickup-mounting-with-threaded-inserts-r77/

I followed the directions step by step and even bought identical hardware from Mcmaster-Carr and I won't direct mount buckers any other way again.
My Schecters came with those stock. They are so nice compared to screws into wood.

I have considered installing them into other guitars, but just havent yet.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
That is a great mod idea and pretty cheap and easy to do. Also McMaster Carr frickin rocks for finding all kinds of stuff like that.

Shipping can be a little pricey since it's usually small shit being ordered (at least by me) but one time I ordered at like 4:30pm, selected the standard shipping, and it said it would be here the very next day and sure as hell.... 11:30am it showed up. Faster than Amazon Prime (in my hood at least).

spudmunkey

Reaction score
There's also Fastenal, who I believe has locations in every state (for sure AK, HI and RI, so it's gotta be every state, right?). Like McM-C, their shipping prices are also harsh for small orders. Four 53 cent threaded inserts would have been $13+ for shipping. Their shipping is also usually slower than McM-C.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's also Fastenal, who I believe has locations in every state (for sure AK, HI and RI, so it's gotta be every state, right?). Like McM-C, their shipping prices are also harsh for small orders. Four 53 cent threaded inserts would have been $13+ for shipping. Their shipping is also usually slower than McM-C.
I thought Fastenal was generally more expensive too, but I could be mistaken. And yeah shipping from either of them does kind of blow of you only need a few small somethings. But they have all the small somethings!

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I thought Fastenal was generally more expensive too, but I could be mistaken.
I've never cross-shopped, so maybe, but when I only needed, say, $2 of something, and I have a location near me, while McM-C is $1.50 but I have to pay $13 to ship it...

Though looking at fastenal's website, it seems like every location is listed as "fulfillment center, by appointment". I admit I haven't been to one since before COVID, so maybe they've changed how they operate since. 🤔

gclef

Reaction score
Idk how effective the are for all pickups, but I like to use pickup mounting ring screws as well. The threads are just as big as baseplate threads, but a good bit of the actual screw is unthreaded so they just float in the screwhole. And if the screw holes are too wide in the body, just use some toothpicks to add some bite.

The only drawback is they're not the longest screws, so if you have to set the pickups very high, they may not reach.

View attachment 142667
I use a slightly fatter screw from homedepot.
Very similar in design, just bigger.

My first experience was with something the size you show. The problem I had was the screw head was so small that the torque required to spin them stripped the head out.

The new ones have a much more defined head. The coarse threads thread in just a hair tight, but the shaft slips and spins just fine.

Regular machine screws fit in and work with a little bit of elbow Grease to sorta redefine the threads.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I recall a luthier in the UK selling the metric equivalent of these at one point pre-Covid. I bought about 5 sets and then immediately lost them :lol:
Coming from an engineering back ground, I welcome the introduction of non destructive fasteners to guitars! I'd use threaded inserts on everything if I could!

elkoki

Reaction score
My Schecters came with those stock. They are so nice compared to screws into wood.

I have considered installing them into other guitars, but just havent yet.
My Schecter also came with these installed but I want to replace the pickups and I’ve ran into a bit of a problem . I think the direct mount holes are a bit too far apart to fit any other pickups .. I tried placing a Duncan then Dimarzio but they won’t screw into the guitars mounting holes . The placement of the holes on the pickups are very very slightly different than the Schecter pickups . Any ideas on what I can do ?

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
My Schecter also came with these installed but I want to replace the pickups and I’ve ran into a bit of a problem . I think the direct mount holes are a bit too far apart to fit any other pickups .. I tried placing a Duncan then Dimarzio but they won’t screw into the guitars mounting holes . The placement of the holes on the pickups are very very slightly different than the Schecter pickups . Any ideas on what I can do ?

I'm not the right guy to ask, but what I'd do is drop a tiny piece of metal into the inserts, then I'd screw the screws into the inserts with the hope that the chunk o'metal dropped into the hole would back out the threaded inserts (basically a mini version of how I pull TOM bridge inserts) then I'd get tiny dowels and plug the hole and do all that and redrill for inserts or direct mount without inserts.

There is probably an easier way that someone who is better at this stuff can inform about though.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
there are two types of guy

1 guy is repulsively horny for threaded inserts

the other thinks threaded inserts are designs of satan

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I recall a luthier in the UK selling the metric equivalent of these at one point pre-Covid. I bought about 5 sets and then immediately lost them :lol:
Coming from an engineering back ground, I welcome the introduction of non destructive fasteners to guitars! I'd use threaded inserts on everything if I could!
Likewise! One of my favorite features on any of my guitars are the inserts for the backplate screws on my Carvin. It's unnecessary, but it just makes the whole process of removing and putting back the screws that much smoother. My Oni also has an insert on the one screw used to remove the magnetic backplate cover.

The one application I probably wouldn't want to use them for is told hold the trem claw in place. I feel like the tension may take them out or make them slip eventually.

For pickups it's a nice solution, unless you for some reason want to install something like the old Carvin pickups that have two screws on one side.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Inserts with cap screws is 100% the way to go - wood screws feel inherently cheap in contrast. I've been doing it for direct-mount pickups for a while and I don't see any reason to go back. I get all my stuff from McMaster Carr and have had no issues.

It also allows me to completely purge anything on a guitar from a Philips or slotted-style drive to Torx and that makes me happy. I recently did it with the cavity cover and neck bolts on my J. Custom, too:

PXL_20240628_022248971.PORTRAIT.png2-PXL_20240423_222406162.PORTRAIT.jpg2-PXL_20240416_210142961.PORTRAIT.jpg

It's almost certainly a entirely placebo effect, but the neck feels more solid? Tough to describe, probably entirely in my head.

Last edited:
Reaction score
... The problem is that pickup brands don't all use the same spacing between the mounting holes, specially when one goes custom... which means that not all pickups will fit properly...

I still prefer the wood screws for direct mounting. If the threaded hole becomes too loose, nothing like 1 or 2 toothpicks and a bit of glue and problem solved.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
... The problem is that pickup brands don't all use the same spacing between the mounting holes, specially when one goes custom... which means that not all pickups will fit properly...
Thiiissssss. Now I remember, I had considered using inserts on my Carvin when I swapped the pickups out to Seymour Duncans, but then I realized that the spacing for the Duncans was sliiiighhttly different (shorter or longer, can't remember). That wasn't a huge problem for normal wood screws, (which I ended up using) but it made me realize that metal inserts would be a bitch.