Awesome way to direct mount humbuckers without drilling out the threaded mounting holes

• Thread starter nightsprinter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elkoki

Reaction score
Thiiissssss. Now I remember, I had considered using inserts on my Carvin when I swapped the pickups out to Seymour Duncans, but then I realized that the spacing for the Duncans was sliiiighhttly different (shorter or longer, can't remember). That wasn't a huge problem for normal wood screws, (which I ended up using) but it made me realize that metal inserts would be a bitch.
Yeah exact problem I have now .. I want to swap pickups but none of the brands I’ve tried so far fit in the existing holes . I’m almost considering just selling the guitar cus I’m not really into the pickups .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Yeah exact problem I have now .. I want to swap pickups but none of the brands I’ve tried so far fit in the existing holes . I’m almost considering just selling the guitar cus I’m not really into the pickups .
You can always send those pickups for a custom rewind. It's like having a custom pickup but with the structural hardware you provide...?

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
There are plenty of ways to resolve this without selling the guitar. If you don't want to rework it then it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg for a luthier to do it for you.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
For cover plates it's a good idea, they aren't under much tension. Those inserts won't stand up to the same extraction force as a simple screw in wood will, they engage both the screw and the wood much less, and with as much as I compress the foam under my pickups or as infrequently as I change pickups at all I would not be eager to try it there. I just swapped pickups in a guitar last night for the first time in about three years. I had zero problems with the mounting screws and never have. If the wood gets wallered you can sawdust and glue fill it, then still have better engagement. I've used the heat and glue set inserts quite a bit with polymers, metal, and wood. It's really only properly used when it won't see much pulling force- like table legs to tabletop, rubber feet to wood table legs, table tops to brackets, plastic covers, and generally anything where you just need it to compress and engage two faces completely together and not move laterally, but not especially to resist pulling. As a standoff fastener that will resist being pulled out I'll take screws into wood every day of the week.

For cover plates they would be sick, though. I'm 100% on board for that.