Axe fx or pod hd pro x or eleven rack

• Thread starter jd267
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jd267

Reaction score
Why are people saying the even rack can't do metal like the axe?

Where did this dude get these presets? do they cost money or are they free?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jd267

Reaction score
The eleven rack is looking more appealing to me as user friendly .

Shask

Reaction score
Why are people saying the even rack can't do metal like the axe?

Where did this dude get these presets? do they cost money or are they free?

That doesn't really sound that impressive to me, but normally single tracked high gain direct sounds don't.

Shask

Reaction score
Yes it is the same.
The fireball is the best amp by far in the pod, it's pretty much the only one I use for high gain sounds, but I found that putting tubescreamers or distortion pedals in front of "cleaner" amps (like the Marshalls) can work well depending on the context. But it is certainly a pretty big limitation if you want to explore different high gain choices because there aren't many good ones.

The Recto was the only one I ever used. Epic was OK. Never could stand the Engl sim. Cant really stand it on the Axe either :lol:

andyjanson

Reaction score
I have to take issue with the claim that the pod is easier to dial in than the axe fx....I have an AXE FX II, my mate has a pod hd. I can make absolutely amazing tones in a matter of minutes by literally pulling up an amp, one of my approximately 5 'go-to' cabs and a hint of reverb. He on the other hand (and if the POD HD thread on here is anything to go by, many others) has struggled to get a tone he is absolutely happy with after months of tweaking and adding all sorts of eq's and filters - 'black magic' if you will. The AXE has this reputation that it's hard to use, but you ask anyone who has actually owned one for more than about a week and I bet they say the same as me.

I've no experience with the 11R, but don't be put off the axe fx because the front panel looks a bit daunting. Firmware 13 came out this morning, and I literally cannot fathom being any happier with my guitar tone.

Shask

Reaction score
I have to take issue with the claim that the pod is easier to dial in than the axe fx....I have an AXE FX II, my mate has a pod hd. I can make absolutely amazing tones in a matter of minutes by literally pulling up an amp, one of my approximately 5 'go-to' cabs and a hint of reverb. He on the other hand (and if the POD HD thread on here is anything to go by, many others) has struggled to get a tone he is absolutely happy with after months of tweaking and adding all sorts of eq's and filters - 'black magic' if you will. The AXE has this reputation that it's hard to use, but you ask anyone who has actually owned one for more than about a week and I bet they say the same as me.

I've no experience with the 11R, but don't be put off the axe fx because the front panel looks a bit daunting. Firmware 13 came out this morning, and I literally cannot fathom being any happier with my guitar tone.
He is looking at an older Axe unit, not an Ae-FX II. Ver 13 has nothing to do with the older units. I do agree though that I tweak the Axe II way less than any other modeler, despite it having the most parameters.

Yes, when I had an HD500 I tweaked it constantly. Seems like there was always something odd in the tone I didn't like. I was forever messing with it.

jd267

Reaction score
I get board of the same old amp tone . Seems with the axe or eleven I could just switch to another amp and start messing with that when I get board lol. In stead of buying more amps ect.

jd267

Reaction score
Guys do these units move AIR? Like when palm muting can you feel it in your chest? My bogner will make you puke if you sit in front of the cab. Will the axe do the same?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Guys do these units move AIR? Like when palm muting can you feel it in your chest? My bogner will make you puke if you sit in front of the cab. Will the axe do the same?

The Axe is just a preamp, so it depends what kind of poweramp/cabinet you pair it with. If you just use studio monitors for bedroom playing, I wouldn't expect it to, but with a quality tube poweramp and 412 I don't see why not. With a quality SS poweramp and FRFR cab setup... likely, as its a pretty popular way to run it.

jd267

Reaction score
I notice a lot of people who by the axe/eleven ect go back to tube amps. Wonder how the axe sounds in person. I have a chance to buy that ultra for 900 but cant try it out. I like the idea if I get tired of a tone I can just change to another amp model lol. I sold off over 10 amps in the past few months and now miss them. My uber is bar far the best metal amp I have owned and I had them all. The axe looks fun.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion, you can't replace the feel of a tube amp with an Eleven Rack or an Axe. I own an Eleven Rack, and I love it for tracking and re-amping, as well as for recording when I'm looking for a tone I can't get out of my actual amps.

I don't have nearly as much experience with an Axe, but I have played an Axe Ultra. I didn't feel that it would be sufficient to gig with. I preferred the Eleven Rack to the Axe Ultra. But again, I probably only played the Axe for about a half hour, which isn't really enough time.

For recording purposes, both the Axe and Eleven Rack excel.

jd267

Reaction score
In my opinion, you can't replace the feel of a tube amp with an Eleven Rack or an Axe. I own an Eleven Rack, and I love it for tracking and re-amping, as well as for recording when I'm looking for a tone I can't get out of my actual amps.

I don't have nearly as much experience with an Axe, but I have played an Axe Ultra. I didn't feel that it would be sufficient to gig with. I preferred the Eleven Rack to the Axe Ultra. But again, I probably only played the Axe for about a half hour, which isn't really enough time.

For recording purposes, both the Axe and Eleven Rack excel.

I don't record and would be buying it to use for high gain tones and marshall type tones with fx like reverb ,delay etc. Pretty much to mess around with it.

jd267

Reaction score
Youtube and ola make the axe look awesome lol. Im picking up the ultra tomorrow. I love the idea of having a ton of amps on tap. Guys how do you down load other peoples patches etc? does it cost anything or do I need a special program? please fill me in. Also I plan on using this as a head. Am I crazy?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
To use it as a head, you'll need a power amp of some sort. A lot of people will use powered full range speakers, whereas others use a solid state or tube power amp into a standard 4x12.

Shask

Reaction score
Youtube and ola make the axe look awesome lol. Im picking up the ultra tomorrow. I love the idea of having a ton of amps on tap. Guys how do you down load other peoples patches etc? does it cost anything or do I need a special program? please fill me in. Also I plan on using this as a head. Am I crazy?

You will need the older version of Axe-Edit and some sort of USB to MIDI interface.

Pinhead

Reaction score
I own the Eleven Rack and am super happy with it. I use it for recording and such. Someday I dream of having an axe fx but man they're expensive. I settled with the 11r because they were selling them without pro tools on ebay for $350 which is a price I couldn't complain about. Good luck with the axe fx you just got, keep us posted too! I want to get some feed back on it to hear how it's working out! :metal:

concertjunkie

Reaction score
You will need the older version of Axe-Edit and some sort of USB to MIDI interface.

to add on this note, i would suggest looking up what midi interface you need that is compatible with your computer... I ended up contacting fractal for this info, since i went through 3 interfaces, simply because different computers have different compatibility with the axe fx. kind of ridiculous but i just want to spare you, since i went through this process and it was downright stupid, but im past that now!