B.B. King Passes Away

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heregoesnothing

SS.org nub
Reaction score
BB King is the guy that recognised by Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan and Yngwie Malmsteen as the king and father of PHRASING.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Listening to Live at the Regal now,

Goddamn that man could play and sing.

Always loved his vibrato and seemed like a very humble guy.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Saw him live once upon a time. Good show, great musician. Unsurprising, but a damn shame all the same.

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
Just read this. Holy ....! RIP My good man :( He lived a full and music altering life, that's for sure

KJGaruda

Likes a good riff
Reaction score
I'd hoped this wasn't true when I saw it at a glance yesterday night..

RIP to one of the greats. Indeed, he was a King.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Never ever have been into Blues but not only he was grear Player, he also seemed to be a real nice Guy !
May Heaven give you Peace and Freedom !

FretsOnFyre

SSO's sociopath
Reaction score
BB is someone whose music I never really got into for whatever reason, but he was an absolute legend and his influence is undeniable. He was one of those guys who felt like he'd be around forever :(

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
The body of Riley King may have ceased to function, but the life/love/music that is BB King will surely outlive us all.

michblanch

Reaction score
Just saw your thread. That's sad.
There is a lesson here.

There are certain people that you think you will never die or don't expect it.

Father's Day is coming up. Call your dads and tell them you love them.
Go golfing or do something , just the 2 of you. I lost my father last year and I would do anything to see him again.

Tell your dads that they matter.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Just my little story about seeing BB King the first time...

About 20 years ago, a friend of mine told me that BB was playing that night in a theater in Jacksonville, FL. He said we should try and get some tickets. I was totally down but figured we'd be at the back of the place, but it's BB, so I was totally down, right? We called the theater and asked what they had available. (This is what you did before you had the Internet - :lol:). They told us it was sold out but to call back an hour before the show to see if anything opened up. Well, we were bummed but we did call back. AND, apparently some radio station that was supposed to grab some tickets never actually did so. We ended up in the front row about 5 feet from the man himself. Mind you, BB was in his chair the whole night and it was like a one-on-one clinic with the master. I was barely a guitar player at that point, but I was mesmerized by him. And, although it is cliche, everything I learned about vibrato, I stole from him that night.

I'll miss you, BB. Thanks for giving us all those years and all that music. And thanks for knowing how to make someone smile in spite of all the blues. In a lot of ways, we've lost one of the last links to our musical roots. At this point, we are listening to those that have been inspired by the legends, but we have lost one of our last living legends. As awesome as it is to hear guys like Clapton and Cray play, there was nothing more amazing than watching even them be humbled by the elder statesman.

Rest well and I hope to see you again at the crossroads.

_45712320_bbkingyoung.jpg

And to those that want to delve into BB for the first time, check out his album Live At The Regal (1965).

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
Oh man, this is sad. I'm young and I didn't get a chance to see him live. Blues really went under my radar for a long time, but I think I'm going to start listening to BB King and other blues guitarists now because I feel like at this point I would learn a lot more from them than I would when I was younger.

Truly sad. I always just thought of him as being a perpetual guy. Still, living to 89 and being able to do all he did is incredible.

source field

Reaction score
BB King has a very distinctive vibrato along with warm, dynamic, vocal-like phrasing that's very close to a gospel singer.