bad pick attack sound when recording

• Thread starter guitardoodguy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Lol sorry i got 100 things on the go atm. ya i will try the nylon but they are much thicker than the edge of the prodigy
Oh that's probably why you consider them "thin" picks, right?

Thickness or thinness isn't the ONLY factor here, material also matters, but it's more the "body" of the pick, and not how thin it is right on the edge where it tapers to a point or near point, because that's a fairly large determinant of how much the pick flexes when it hits the string. All else equal, a thinner pick will flex a little more than a thick one. Since pick chirp is basically the edge of the pick "fretting" the string on impact, a thinner pick will, from the perspetive of the string, flex more and exert less force against it, minimizing the degree to which it kinda "frets" the string on impact. A softer material will deaden the effect, which is why the red Jazz III, made out of a nylon material, tends to have a softer pick attack that doesn't chirp, even though it's I think the same thickness as what you're using.

If you have the material, then try to find some sort of Ultex/Ultem/whatever pick where the shape works for you but it's 1.0mm thick or thinner. For me that's kind of the cutover point. One of the mixed thickness bags of Dunlop Flows might be worth a shot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ringmaster555

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I'm trying to increase the pick attack chirping sound. My DIs sound dull, despite a thick pick, bright pickup (EMG retro active super 77), fresh strings, a nice interface (antelope discrete audio 4 pro), and editing transients with *Eventide EQ.

Clipping a bit on the open notes, but shouldn't affect the lack of high end I'm hearing: https://jumpshare.com/v/NSVEKrk2hY14zbW597cB?b=iDfoCsQLuV4uqaYEqTwj

With distortion and Eventide (better, punchier, but not the kind of chirp I'm used to hearing): https://jumpshare.com/v/0lmHSuQ0RMqpqX2keAAi?b=iDfoCsQLuV4uqaYEqTwj

*With respect to audio production, this plugin will certainly help you decrease (or increase) your pick attack sound.

Latest posts