Bands/artists you feel you should like but just cannot get into

• Thread starter jehu12141987
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
A lot of metal from before 1985 or so turns me off. It just sounds like sped up AC/DC style hard rock to me, which I'm not a very big fan of either. Specifically Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and Motorhead come to mind.

I can't get into Periphery at all. They just sound like generic metalcore with more notes thrown in to me :/

A lot of people have mentioned the Beatles, but I don't feel any shame in not liking that band because they weren't good:fawk: My dad grew up in the 60s, and nobody who was really into rock and roll back then took the Beatles serious. They were the equivalent of the Jonas Brothers or some pop boy band like that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Echoing some people's statements and saying Pink Floyd - I like one or two of their songs, but it just doesn't click with me for some reason. Same with the Beatles, Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc.

Bodes

Reaction score
Lamb of God

They are one of those bands that got shoved down my throat - almost like pop music - and therefore I had this (maybe unwarranted) negativity toward them.

Maybe I should borrow a cd from a mate and give it a proper listen to???

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Tool, Led Zeppelin.

LZ for the fact that I can't stand Robert Plant. I've tried. I'm 34 yrs old, if I were going to like him I would by now. lol

Tool, because imo, is extremely overrated. And they do nothing for me, at all. Except annoy me.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Allan Holdsworth, Mastadon that isn't crack the skye, which is one of my top 5 albums. Also, Led Zepp.

Nats

Reaction score
The Who. Stage presence like crazy, a monster drummer, bass tone that can cut down trees, all the tools that would make me love a band, but I just can't get into their songs. They're so boring. I llove Pinball Wizard, but I only like the Elton John version cause that version has so much energy. The regular Who version was so blaahhhhhh.

FILTHnFEAR

Reaction score
When I tell people that I don't like bands like Floyd and Sabbath, I hear the argument alot of times of, "Well you should like them because without them, there would be no _____, _____, and _____! They created the blah blah blah herp derp..." For me, this is a stupid argument. It's like saying I should like love an outhouse because it led to the invention of the indoor toilet; sorry, but while I respect what they've done to further advance things... I do not like them one bit.

LOL :agreed:

FILTHnFEAR

Reaction score
Lamb of God

They are one of those bands that got shoved down my throat - almost like pop music - and therefore I had this (maybe unwarranted) negativity toward them.

Maybe I should borrow a cd from a mate and give it a proper listen to???

I know what you mean. Sometimes friends have exalted certain bands so much and have told me I HAD to like them, that the band became annoying. Even bands I loved. Lamb of God and Pantera come to mind for me in this context.

You should give Lamb of God an honest listen though, some pretty cool dual guitar work imo. But maybe they just aren't for you. To each there own.

wankerness

Reaction score
A lot of metal from before 1985 or so turns me off. It just sounds like sped up AC/DC style hard rock to me, which I'm not a very big fan of either. Specifically Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and Motorhead come to mind.

Whattttt?? I can see Motorhead MAYBE, but Iron Maiden and Megadeth? They don't seem remotely comparable to me. AC/DC is mostly just 3-5 chord power rock songs while Iron Maiden and Megadeth's early stuff...is not, at all :O What did you hear by them? Megadeth's first two cds in particular are extremely technical.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Sybreed

I guess they're just too... industrial? for my taste.
They have some nice riffs though :)
In fact, I think I have to take my words back! After I posted this I spent some time researching Sybreed's music on YouTube, and eventually I found the "Antares" and "The Pulse Of Awakening" albums in full length! Heard it all, and... well...

...I think I'm in love! :lol::mf666:

So, in order to be just a little ontopic in this post:
Red Hot Chili Peppersd Hot Chili Peppers - I like some of their songs, but I NEVER hear an entire album at a time.
Finntroll- they have their moments, but in the end I find them boring.
Divine Heresy- I really don't know what to think of them? I still think they lack some feeling in their music. I do listen to them sometimes though, but only for the heck of it.

protest

Reaction score
Tool - I like a few of their songs, and I think they're pretty cool. However, I just don't see what is so amazing about them. Their music also does not seem overly technical to me. I'm not sure if that hype comes from their fans that aren't musicians, or if I'm just not listening enough.

Deftones - I friggin hate the Deftones. The vocals are annoying as shit and the music is boring, and yet for some reason I always had to defend my reason for not liking them. I never understood that. "Hey you like the Deftones?"... Nope.. "Why not?" Does that happen with any other nu metal band? I don't get it.

Death Metal - One of my absolute favorite bands is Death. I could listen to them all day. Symbolic is one of my top all time albums. I love At the Gates and a few other death/melodic death bands, but most of the death metal I've heard is monotonous and boring. Yes its really fast, but its all really fast, and the vocals are horrible.

Black Metal - I just...yea..I just don't like it.

Mastodon - I feel like I need to try harder to like them because everyone loves them, and they don't annoy me. I just never clicked with them I guess.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I dont like Periphery while this forum is trying to convince me that i should, i really dont like them, generic band which makes generic music that sounds like more down tuned metalcore with few more note to sound technical. I would stand listening more than 5 songs if their clean vocals were not horrible. I do enjoy clean vocals, especially something powerful like the new Cattle Decapitation, or Judas Priest, but i totally hate vocals like in Periphery. Plus the growls are weak and i see no point in 3 guitarists when you barely use them all.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Jeff Loomis, I dug Nevermore especially around the Dead Heart days, but I just can't stand his tone & cruddy guitar :/ Just my opinion is all.
-Brent

Oxygen42

Bedroom Shredder
Reaction score
I used to feel this way about Meshuggah and Death, but that changed eventually. I don't know who it is now, I like all the bands that I feel pressure to like xD

wankerness

Reaction score
I dont like Periphery while this forum is trying to convince me that i should, i really dont like them, generic band which makes generic music that sounds like more down tuned metalcore with few more note to sound technical. I would stand listening more than 5 songs if their clean vocals were not horrible. I do enjoy clean vocals, especially something powerful like the new Cattle Decapitation, or Judas Priest, but i totally hate vocals like in Periphery. Plus the growls are weak and i see no point in 3 guitarists when you barely use them all.

I don't really like them either, but they certainly aren't "generic band that makes generic music"! It's odd that I don't, I like Tesseract and Vildhjarta quite a bit and have been a diehard Meshuggah fanboy since about 2001 and was one of the first to hop on the chimp spanner boat and even remember listening to Bulb's stuff on soundclick back in teh day (he had a sweet cover of Elastic) but...somehow they just don't do it for me. It will probably "click" some day and I'll love them.

Shub-Niggurath

Wish it was the 80s
Reaction score
The entirety of the modern hip-hop genre. Life would be so much easier!

For metal, I can't get into sikth. I only "got" Meshuggah, Despised Icon, and Symphony X within the last year so there's still hope!