Bands/artists you feel you should like but just cannot get into

• Thread starter jehu12141987
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jehu12141987

Reaction score
The Gangnam Style craze thing that everyone was so in love with, laughing hysterically. I just felt like saying this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhakan

Reaction score
The big one for me is Devin Townsend. I enjoy some of his stuff, but I can't listen to more than a song or two without losing interest. It is just weird, because on paper he has everything I should love, but it just hasn't clicked with me.

jehu12141987

Reaction score
Devin Townsend puts on a killer show, but I have not been able to get into the majority of his stuff.. :( chalk me up in the DT column.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
(This is all my personal opinion and is not meant to offend or claim anyone who disagrees with me is wrong)

Kings of Leon - Were cool when the first came out but soon (to me at least) become very contrived and i lost all interest...

Coldplay - Do not get the attraction here... They seem great at what the do, i just have zero interest in it.

5 Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold. These guys don't click with me and to be honest i find them really boring but i don't get the rabid hate for them either.

Anthrax - a band i never really grabbed my interest for long but i still think they are great. They have few classic songs i dig but not much else.

Bring Me The Horizon... Yikes, most bands even if they are not my thing or whatever i wont disrespect but i can find no redeeming qualities in this group...

wankerness

Reaction score
(This is all my personal opinion and is not meant to offend or claim anyone who disagrees with me is wrong)

Kings of Leon - Were cool when the first came out but soon (to me at least) become very contrived and i lost all interest...

Coldplay - Do not get the attraction here... They seem great at what the do, i just have zero interest in it.

5 Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold. These guys don't click with me and to be honest i find them really boring but i don't get the rabid hate for them either.

Why do you feel you should like these bands? These seem more like "bands you dislike for good reasons."

enkner

Reaction score
converge, i really have no clue why i don't like them

meshuggah as well, i should totally like them, but for some reason i just don't feel anything while listening to it

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Tool and Dream Theater are the big ones for me. There are definitely bands I don't like and know why, but I haven't got anything for those two, just can't get into them.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Probably some blasphemy here but what evs. Never been able to get into these bands:

The Who
The Cult
Iggy Pop
David Bowie
Queensryche

Probably forgetting some other bands I am "supposed" to like...

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Rush
Coheed (singing = NOAP!)
Any Mastodon besides CTS

Wat8.jpg

Anathema lately. I really tried to get into them but there was just something that put me off about them. I'll give them another listen though. Anyone have a song or album to recommend of theirs?

Transmissions

Reaction score
Dream Theater. I've never been able to get into them, I like opeth and all, which is kind of similar but I just never got big on em.
The new Oceana, or should I say Polyenso is also quite weird and I'm having trouble liking it.
New Acacia Strain is just a bunch of naughty nursery rhymes with chugs in the background as well. Not a fan of that.

wankerness

Reaction score
Wat8.jpg

Anathema lately. I really tried to get into them but there was just something that put me off about them. I'll give them another listen though. Anyone have a song or album to recommend of theirs?

They have a lot of periods so it's hard to say what you'd respond to the most, what bands do you like? I'd say try "A Fine Day to Exit" and "We're Here Because We're Here," the former is darker and the latter is proggier. Their older stuff is rougher around the edges but still good (especially Eternity, Alternative 4, and Judgment). "A Natural Disaster" is colder and more electronic than the albums before and after. Their last one, "Weather Systems," is a continuation of the "We're Here Because We're Here" style but not quite as good. Everything before "Eternity" was classified as Doom Metal and has growly vocals and doesn't sound like the same band at all really.

jimwratt

Reaction score
Mastodon
The Beatles, Stones, Who, Zep
Death/Black Metal
Yngwie (I went threw a phase where I liked him)
Satch (I like his writing and objectively enjoy his playing, it just does nothing for me)
Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer - just...no

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
They have a lot of periods so it's hard to say what you'd respond to the most, what bands do you like? I'd say try "A Fine Day to Exit" and "We're Here Because We're Here," the former is darker and the latter is proggier. Their older stuff is rougher around the edges but still good (especially Eternity, Alternative 4, and Judgment). "A Natural Disaster" is colder and more electronic than the albums before and after. Their last one, "Weather Systems," is a continuation of the "We're Here Because We're Here" style but not quite as good. Everything before "Eternity" was classified as Doom Metal and has growly vocals and doesn't sound like the same band at all really.

I just completely fell in love with Weather Systems. Jesus, the first track is just absolute perfection.

wankerness

Reaction score
I just completely fell in love with Weather Systems. Jesus, the first track is just absolute perfection.

I absolutely love about half that album, especially that first track and "sunlight," but it is noticeable that most of the songs on that album are just one riff crescendoed and layered throughout the song. For that reason I think I like it slightly less than the previous album. Not that this is a big problem, since they are better at building emotion through a song than anyone else I've ever heard - I basically have one long ear-orgasm by the time the distortion hits in both of those songs that lasts till the end. Both of them give me chills hardcore. Also, the good tracks are mixed throughout the album unlike "We're Here" which puts the best tracks all in a row at the beginning. They're both really great and I've listened to them both a ton of times.

Anathema is the most rewarding band to have been a long-term fan of. Their development from Eternity to A Natural Disaster was great to behold, and then when they went on hiatus and their future was in question and they ended up releasing possibly their best album after 7 years of silence I was floored. I wish I could hear that album again for the first time. Not only was it a gigantic leap forward sonically, but it was the first thing they'd ever released that sounded POSITIVE. It was like they went into a cocoon for 7 years of disappointment and label conflicts and overcame it all and came out like that. Great, great band.

I have a friend that first heard them on "We're Here" and thus wasn't very interested by their older stuff since their whole career had been building up to that, but he eventually warmed up to "A Fine Day to Exit" at least.

Orsinium

Reaction score
I pretty much don't like anything from the 90's except for Dream Theater and Cynic.
As far as bands now are concerned I don't like anything "core" oriented it's pretty much all progressive metal/rock for me.
I really don't care for Slayer, The Rolling Stones, Buckethead, Gun's and Roses, and I ant to like but never have gotten into Mastodon and Porcupine Tree.