Bareknuckle, lundgren, duncan

• Thread starter TheFluffy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy German

Reaction score
If this was fairy land I would say go buy them all and try them:squint:, since most people cant afford to do that I would just analyze what specific thing you need the pickup to do, and match that up to pickups you were looking at, if you need a tight agressive sound then actives would probaly be best expecialy if you need clear not colored tone. Passive add their own flavor to the mix which has its appeal but might not be what your looking for. I havn't tried the blackout yet but if there any better then emg (which ar'nt horrible) then it should be amazing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
sebastian is vinticated, just like Chris Carrabba

dashboard-confessional-019.JPG

:flame:

i vote for the lundgren. the blackout 6's sound like what your asking in terms of tightness and stuff. just, dont like the tone. check em out yourself though

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to go against everyone else and say Bareknuckle Painkiller. It has the most mids in any pickup i've had which helps with a really tight low end as well as a biting but pleasant high end.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
you said you want tone like that band, so if they use blazes, then i'd say that would be a safe place to start. you know that using the same pickups they use isn't going to instantly give you that tone, right? their tone is gated to hell, which helps with the tightness.

what sort of amp are you planning on running these through?

TheFluffy

Reaction score
you said you want tone like that band, so if they use blazes, then i'd say that would be a safe place to start. you know that using the same pickups they use isn't going to instantly give you that tone, right? their tone is gated to hell, which helps with the tightness.

what sort of amp are you planning on running these through?

Do they make blazes for 6 strings? And i know it wont give me that exact tone.

My setup will be DK2M---NS-2---OD9 as a clean boost---6505----vader 4x12.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Do they make blazes for 6 strings? And i know it wont give me that exact tone.

My setup will be DK2M---NS-2---OD9 as a clean boost---6505----vader 4x12.

Are you the guy who was gonna tune in 5ths? F# + Lundgren + 6505 + Vader 4x12 is going to make people start sacrificing virgins to Pazuzu.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dear Majority Of Posters In This Thread,

Worst. Advice. Ever. :nuts:

Just curious, you guys scoffing at the Duncan Blackout in favor of the BKP: have you even played a Blackout or are you just assuming the BKP is better because it's 'boutique' ? Tone is varied and subjective.

Have you guys giving shaky advice even CONSIDERED the fact that he has an ALDER GUITAR? A Blackout would be perfect for that. Those have a huge tight bottom end, a punchy clear articulate tone but also fat for leads. BKPs could work too, but it would have to be a dark one. Recommending ultra bright pickups like the Evo or Steve's Special (which sounds nothing like a Blaze btw despite what DiMarzio says) is really not taking the woods into context or accomplishing the original poster's needs. Those pickups sound best in mahogany or basswood, not alder.

Guys, if someone asks for advice, at least give informed opinions, not generally blanket rubbish/rumors. ALDER/MAPLE + BRIGHT WARPIG/LUNDREN = RECIPE FOR HARSHNESS :)

TheFluffy

Reaction score
Dear Majority Of Posters In This Thread,

Worst. Advice. Ever. :nuts:

Just curious, you guys scoffing at the Duncan Blackout in favor of the BKP: have you even played a Blackout or are you just assuming the BKP is better because it's 'boutique' ? Tone is varied and subjective.

Have you guys giving shaky advice even CONSIDERED the fact that he has an ALDER GUITAR? A Blackout would be perfect for that. Those have a huge tight bottom end, a punchy clear articulate tone but also fat for leads. BKPs could work too, but it would have to be a dark one. Recommending ultra bright pickups like the Evo or Steve's Special (which sounds nothing like a Blaze btw despite what DiMarzio says) is really not taking the woods into context or accomplishing the original poster's needs. Those pickups sound best in mahogany or basswood, not alder.

Guys, if someone asks for advice, at least give informed opinions, not generally blanket rubbish/rumors. ALDER/MAPLE + BRIGHT WARPIG/LUNDREN = RECIPE FOR HARSHNESS :)

Thanks bro, so you are saying blackouts, eh?

I really think thats what I'm going for.
It will be the easiest to get, and the cheapest also.

Any more words of wisdom?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks bro, so you are saying blackouts, eh?

I really think thats what I'm going for.
It will be the easiest to get, and the cheapest also.

Any more words of wisdom?

Sure no problem. I think the Blackouts will suit you well. Get the set, and experiment which one you like in the bridge more, as they're both really good, just different. Both have lots of balls, cut and well balanced great tone.

In terms of passives, again my overriding point was, if you're dealing with a bright guitar like yours (alder/maple right?), pickups that are beefier/warmer will serve you well. The best pickup I've ever heard in alder is the DiMarzio Tone Zone 6. Unlike the 7 string version, its warm, fat, with seriously metal mids and plenty of cut. It's glorious! As for Seymour Duncans, the JB and Invader are both well suited in alder, the Custom sometimes too. Neck pickup wise, the Duncan Jazz and DiMarzio Paf Pro/Breed are my favorites, but there are many good neck pickup models both companies make. The Blackout Neck model is fantastic too.

So, I'd recommend one of those for your guitar. Just stay away from very bright ceramic pickups like the Duncan Distortion, Lundgren M6, etc. You'd want to save those for darker woods so it won't be brittle and you don't get a lot of midrange honk.

PS: Seymour Duncan/DiMarzio will allow you to exchange any pickup with something else for free within 45 days I believe, so even if you get something that you're not happy with, there'll be plenty of other models you can try free of charge.