Bareknuckle Pickups in a PRS 7-string ?

• Thread starter Vinny554
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny554

Reaction score
Hi all - I know this topic is often discussed but they never seem to have all 4 of these options in one thread. Recently bought a PRS SE SVN, which I love, but despise the stock pickups for the type of music I play. Decided to make the jump to Bareknuckle since the build quality and sound samples sound wonderful, not to mention most folks get these in the genres I play (also love the customization options).

Note, this guitar will be used primarily to RECORD and within the Metalcore, Djent, Prog, and occasional death metal/tech realms. Tuned to Drop A with NYXL 11-64s. The PRS has a Maple top wood, Mahogony back wood, maple neck, rosewood fret and it's a baritone*!*

I've narrowed it down to:

- Juggernauts

- Ragnaroks

- Black Hawks

- Aftermaths

Heard fantastic things about every one of these. What are your thoughts or experiences? Even if you have no experience with 3 of the 4....talk about the 1 you do please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beavis2306

Lusts for gear
Reaction score
I'm not very good with the vocabulary on this but this my experience -

Juggernaut 7s - in a 27 inch 7. Have a growl to the mids that i dig but at the same time have a freq in there that i would remove if i could. They're clear and have a sweet high end and a lower mid focus. Leads have that fat, sorta fluidy sound (not that i'm any good at em) cleans are good. You've really got to work em, they almost feel a bit doughy sometimes.

Aftermaths - in a 27 inch ash and maple zing machine. 8 string though so may be different for 7s. I found them icepicky in the top end, tight in the bottom end and strange in the mids. Leads would be fairly fluidy but nowhere near as nice as the juggs cos icepick. Cleans were ok. Rhythm sounds were cool and growly in a weird, tight way though and ideally i'd have them again just for that. Except for the rythm tone, as it has value as it's own thing, i'd say the juggs are the next generation.

Haven't tried the others but would also suggest the impulses. These were based on blackhawks. They feel a bit scooped and saturated. Nice cleans and leads, nothing obnoxious and fairly responsive. Based on my limited pickup experience, if i had a heap of guitars, i'd lean towards these for most

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Aftermaths. I loathe them, but they track the best of all pickups mentioned and that's what you're after anyway. Juggernauts in a mahogany/rosewwod guitar is not a good idea either.

Funny how these are always the BKPs you can always find used.

Not surprised in the slightest. Not many people buy PG Blues or Mule sets for 7-strings.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
If djenting, then Rags. It's the djeneric djent pup.

In my PRS tuned to drop C, I use Warpigs...and they are fuckin' awesome. But I don't djent. Djent toans are too thin to my ear.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score

In my PRS tuned to drop C, I use Warpigs...and they are fuckin' awesome. But I don't djent. Djent toans are too thin to my ear.
Juggs are the go to for the djent kiddoes.
Ragnaroks are like their hotter, thicker and less whiny sister.

Vinny554

Reaction score
I'm not very good with the vocabulary on this but this my experience -

Juggernaut 7s - in a 27 inch 7. Have a growl to the mids that i dig but at the same time have a freq in there that i would remove if i could. They're clear and have a sweet high end and a lower mid focus. Leads have that fat, sorta fluidy sound (not that i'm any good at em) cleans are good. You've really got to work em, they almost feel a bit doughy sometimes.

Aftermaths - in a 27 inch ash and maple zing machine. 8 string though so may be different for 7s. I found them icepicky in the top end, tight in the bottom end and strange in the mids. Leads would be fairly fluidy but nowhere near as nice as the juggs cos icepick. Cleans were ok. Rhythm sounds were cool and growly in a weird, tight way though and ideally i'd have them again just for that. Except for the rythm tone, as it has value as it's own thing, i'd say the juggs are the next generation.

Haven't tried the others but would also suggest the impulses. These were based on blackhawks. They feel a bit scooped and saturated. Nice cleans and leads, nothing obnoxious and fairly responsive. Based on my limited pickup experience, if i had a heap of guitars, i'd lean towards these for most

Your vocab was just fine! The Aftermaths sound great on videos and samples, however I feel that in Drop A they run the risk of muddiness...I despise muddy and want to evade it at all costs (obviously, other factors contribute to this). Juggs seem great, just not quite sold on them entirely as I've heard many mixed things. I recently heard a description of them kinda stood out among all the comments,

"The Juggernauts are a jack-of-all-trades, which makes them versatile, but doesn't excel especially at any one thing incredibly well."

Funny how these are always the BKPs you can always find used.

I'd roll with used ones but I want to keep the black/creme pattern that the stock PRS ones have...stupid pet-peeves.

Aftermaths. I loathe them, but they track the best of all pickups mentioned and that's what you're after anyway. Juggernauts in a mahogany/rosewwod guitar is not a good idea either.

Out of curiosity, why would Juggs be a bad combo with mahogany and rosewood?
And why don't you like the Aftermaths?

I'm not a "djenter" per se but some of the tunes I write have some neat poly-rhythm influence and a nice mid-bite tone would fit well. Actually heard the Rags are much less "djent" than the Juggs, and are better for the overall metalcore / death tones. Have you tried them out?

What do you like about the Pigs? Ceramics or As?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why would Juggs be a bad combo with mahogany and rosewood?
And why don't you like the Aftermaths?

Juggernauts are known for its weird voicing. They have the extreme highs and lows cut, as well as the center mids. This leaves you with a pickup with boosted low mids and high mids, so it retains attack while being fat sounding (giving it its "cocked wah" sound). People complain a lot about flubby low mids when installed in guitars with warm woods. They work best in bright and snappy guitars.

The Aftermath is like a much more boring Juggernaut. Tighter (less bass and low mids), more attack, dryer, "boxy", and much more compressed. Basically a great recording pickup that sucks for everything else, like an EMG81. Much more recommended for warmer guitars such as yours.

That is just my opinion, of course. I'd rather have a nice sounding pickup and tighten things up with pedals if needed than sticking a one trick pony on them.

Vinny554

Reaction score
Juggernauts are known for its weird voicing. They have the extreme highs and lows cut, as well as the center mids. This leaves you with a pickup with boosted low mids and high mids, so it retains attack while being fat sounding (giving it its "cocked wah" sound). People complain a lot about flubby low mids when installed in guitars with warm woods. They work best in bright and snappy guitars.

The Aftermath is like a much more boring Juggernaut. Tighter (less bass and low mids), more attack, dryer, "boxy", and much more compressed. Basically a great recording pickup that sucks for everything else, like an EMG81. Much more recommended for warmer guitars such as yours.

That is just my opinion, of course. I'd rather have a nice sounding pickup and tighten things up with pedals if needed than sticking a one trick pony on them.

Interesting. Very descriptive run-down so much appreciated.
Any input on the Ragnaroks?

Also, everyone, open to some recommendations outside of BKPs. Passives preferably!

Last edited:

TedintheShed

Reaction score
I'm not a "djenter" per se but some of the tunes I write have some neat poly-rhythm influence and a nice mid-bite tone would fit well. Actually heard the Rags are much less "djent" than the Juggs, and are better for the overall metalcore / death tones. Have you tried them out?

What do you like about the Pigs? Ceramics or As?

I almost got Rags, was really, really close. They seem to have a lots of snarl and in the end it seemed like too much.

I have A-Pigs, but most will say C-Pigs is the way to go. The distortion is much less grainer and more refined, and the low end just hits like an effin' sledge hammer to the chest when palm muting though my Engl Savage 120 mk ll.

Also, the cleans are really beautiful. I can get a Strat like bite when split. It's incredible.

Vinny554

Reaction score
I almost got Rags, was really, really close. They seem to have a lots of snarl and in the end it seemed like too much.

I have A-Pigs, but most will say C-Pigs is the way to go. The distortion is much less grainer and more refined, and the low end just hits like an effin' sledge hammer to the chest when palm muting though my Engl Savage 120 mk ll.

Also, the cleans are really beautiful. I can get a Strat like bite when split. It's incredible.

My SVN was really smooth sounding. I recommend the Aftermath or Painkillers to add some bite.

Interestingly enough, I messaged the guys at BK and asked for their recommendation. Here's the conversation:

Message (me): Hey guys! I've had my eye on your pickups for some time now, and curious if you could help me narrow down my search based on your experience. Recently bought a PRS SE SVN, which I love, but despise the stock pickups for the type of music I play. I primarily use this guitar to record (so slight compression that is forgiving towards playing wouldn't be a bad thing - same with tightness, pronunciation on tone, etc.) and within the Metalcore, Djent, Prog, and occasional death metal/tech realms. Tuned to Drop A with NYXL 11-64s. The PRS has a Maple top wood, Mahogony back wood, maple neck, rosewood fret and it's a baritone!

I was originally considering Ragnaroks or Black Hawks, but open to suggestions and ideas. Want to avoid "mud" at all costs! Clean tones are also important to me, but clarity in "chugging" are as well. I write music similar to TesseracT, Periphery, with the occasional Ghost Inside or even Fit For an Autopsy. Lay it on me boys!

Hi Vince

I think if you want all-out clarity and detail, as well as plenty of power and chug, then it has to be the Black Hawks with ceramic magnet for the bridge. It's a warmer design of guitar, it's clear you want a lot of clarity and attack, and It's also interesting you reference Tesseract as the guys use them too!

Ben French

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I quite like the Afermaths I have in my Regius. They are tight and dry, percussive sounding. The bridge is quite a brash sounding pickup but I think that works great for metal. It splits well too.

Neck pickup is kinda dark, works great for high gain lead but I don’t like it for much else. Cleans are pretty dark and boomy, even split. I need to set my clean channel very plucky and bright with the bass turned down for a good neck pickup clean.

I remember reading lots of reviews about them having a weird midrange but I guess we all hear things differently. Mine are covered though, dunno how much difference that makes.

I haven’t tried any of their other modern high gain offerings.

TedintheShed

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I messaged the guys at BK and asked for their recommendation. Here's the conversation:

Message (me): Hey guys! I've had my eye on your pickups for some time now, and curious if you could help me narrow down my search based on your experience. Recently bought a PRS SE SVN, which I love, but despise the stock pickups for the type of music I play. I primarily use this guitar to record (so slight compression that is forgiving towards playing wouldn't be a bad thing - same with tightness, pronunciation on tone, etc.) and within the Metalcore, Djent, Prog, and occasional death metal/tech realms. Tuned to Drop A with NYXL 11-64s. The PRS has a Maple top wood, Mahogony back wood, maple neck, rosewood fret and it's a baritone!

I was originally considering Ragnaroks or Black Hawks, but open to suggestions and ideas. Want to avoid "mud" at all costs! Clean tones are also important to me, but clarity in "chugging" are as well. I write music similar to TesseracT, Periphery, with the occasional Ghost Inside or even Fit For an Autopsy. Lay it on me boys!

Hi Vince

I think if you want all-out clarity and detail, as well as plenty of power and chug, then it has to be the Black Hawks with ceramic magnet for the bridge. It's a warmer design of guitar, it's clear you want a lot of clarity and attack, and It's also interesting you reference Tesseract as the guys use them too!

Ben French

Good move- that's who recommended my Warpigs too :)

AltecGreen

Reaction score

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Man if the Black Hawks are meant for brightening a warm guitar, then I need to try those.

But yeah, he's correct. the SVN is a surprisingly warm sounding guitar.

Vinny554

Reaction score
The few PRS seven strings (Private Stock) I saw in Japan that came with BKP pickups from the factory were either Aftermaths or Juggernauts.

Hmmm....good find and beautiful guitars

Man if the Black Hawks are meant for brightening a warm guitar, then I need to try those.

But yeah, he's correct. the SVN is a surprisingly warm sounding guitar.

Considering he made the recommendation on the hawks specifically because the guitar is warm (which is most certainly is), leaning in this direction. If you listen to any TesseracT, the guitars are distinctly bright and twangy. Love that sound, although guitar type and tone has a lot to do with this also.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, if your main goal is to record any of those will work, specially if using boosters. I'd rule out the Juggs for reasons above but the rest are fine.

I'd also add the Impulse set if you like the guitar's natural sound as they are quite flat compared to other pickups. They are a different (less compressed) take on the Blackhawk.