Bareknuckle Pickups in a PRS 7-string ?

• Thread starter Vinny554
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny554

Reaction score
Seriously, if your main goal is to record any of those will work, specially if using boosters. I'd rule out the Juggs for reasons above but the rest are fine.

I'd also add the Impulse set if you like the guitar's natural sound as they are quite flat compared to other pickups. They are a different (less compressed) take on the Blackhawk.

Definitely reassuring. A pretty top-tier engineer also told me recently that Juggs weren't impressive in the mix, so thinking Black Hawks are it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Go with the recommendation by BKP and go with the Black Hawks.

I'm not sure about the SVN's but the pickup routes for my SE-7 were pretty small. I had a tech install my Duncan Pegasus/Sentient set and he had to file the tabs to get them to fit; even so, the pickups fit very snug. I know others who put Dimarzio's in their SE-7's and they had to route pickup cavity's. Not sure how BKP's will fit, but be sure to take this into consideration when installing your new pickups!

Vinny554

Reaction score
Go with the recommendation by BKP and go with the Black Hawks.

I'm not sure about the SVN's but the pickup routes for my SE-7 were pretty small. I had a tech install my Duncan Pegasus/Sentient set and he had to file the tabs to get them to fit; even so, the pickups fit very snug. I know others who put Dimarzio's in their SE-7's and they had to route pickup cavity's. Not sure how BKP's will fit, but be sure to take this into consideration when installing your new pickups!

Are we talking about the same guitar? The SE "SVN" is an SE 7, unless there's another model I'm unaware of.

If so, thanks for the heads up! Dreading this potential :coffee:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Oh shit yeah, when I tried to install Fluence Moderns (the non-soapbar sized ones, PROBABLY about the same size as the Black Hawks), same deal. The routes were too small for my SVN. The Blackhawks appear to be squared off, like their covered passives. The SVN routes are more rounded to fit around standard 7-string passives.

I'm glad @AkiraSpectrum brought that up because I completely forgot. :lol:

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Are we talking about the same guitar? The SE "SVN" is an SE 7, unless there's another model I'm unaware of.

If so, thanks for the heads up! Dreading this potential :coffee:

The PRS SE-7's were the earlier versions. Basically the same guitar but they had a 25.0" scale length instead of the 26.5" scale length of the SVN's. The SVN's also use different pickups.

My assumption is that the routes are likely the same. So be prepared to either file some of the tabs or slightly route out a bit of the pickup cavities.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
My assumption is that the routes are likely the same. So be prepared to either file some of the tabs or slightly route out a bit of the pickup cavities.
Yep. Corners need to be squared off, sides need to be widened slightly, and I THINK the tabs did indeed need some embiggening as well. Don't remember there.

Vinny554

Reaction score
The PRS SE-7's were the earlier versions. Basically the same guitar but they had a 25.0" scale length instead of the 26.5" scale length of the SVN's. The SVN's also use different pickups.

Yep. Corners need to be squared off, sides need to be widened slightly, and I THINK the tabs did indeed need some embiggening as well. Don't remember there.

:wallbash:

Thanks for the heads up boys. Have a good tech around here so won't dare try this myself. I'll keep you all posted...try to record a sample before and after!