Baritone 30-inch scale in Alternate Drop D tuning

soundbase

Reaction score
I had a bit of fun with my Squier Jazzmaster Baritone. I've been fiddling with the Architects-style alternate Drop F# tuning. And thought it would be fun to take this tuning down even further. So I have done the same type of tuning but down to low D on my Baritone 30-inch scale length.

So the tuning is D-D-G-C-E-A. Definitely try it out. I used the Ernie Ball Baritone set, and then chucked the 72, and threw a 90 on the bottom. Tuned really well down to low D. You can check my video on it here. I go through what I did with the setup, and then play through a couple of Architects, and Wage War songs in the lower tuning.

I might even go lower and try a 105 on the 6th string and then maybe even try a low B alternate tuning :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Sounds killer! I love all forms of Bass VI - think they are some of the most fun and best sounding guitars for '8 string' music haha. I had one in E with 90 as is common, and one in B with 118

soundbase

Reaction score
Nice. Yeah E with a 90 feels great on a 30 inch scale. My 90 in D is a little loose. Still playable but a tad loose. A 105 would probably feel better. I’m keen to try and see how possibly low can go on this Squier. It’s such a fun guitar to play. And it’s really cool it can accommodate so many tuning options. Like it comes shipped in A Standard but you can really tune it super low with a few modifications.

soundbase

Reaction score
Sounds killer! I love all forms of Bass VI - think they are some of the most fun and best sounding guitars for '8 string' music haha. I had one in E with 90 as is common, and one in B with 118
How does the low B sound when is is super gained?

stockwell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice to know people are using .90s with 30" scales, I thought .72 was too flabby on my 30" in E, but everyone says .90s are too bassy sounding. Not that I mind bassy sounding.

soundbase

Reaction score
Nice to know people are using .90s with 30" scales, I thought .72 was too flabby on my 30" in E, but everyone says .90s are too bassy sounding. Not that I mind bassy sounding.

I think they are a little bassy the 90's over a 72. But with some post processing you can get it sounding right. Cut out some of the lows, and do a low midrange boost and it should work fine.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I think 80 or 85 is good for E at that length, and lovely and bright.
The B was great under high gain - it was the fender pawnshop HSS so nice and bright.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
At some point , but right now I'm pretty limited for expansion just in terms of capital

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Wow really, I think .090 or .092 is enough to go down to A on my 30 inch scale 9 string. Might try a .095 whenever stringjoy finally makes it official. (As of now .090 is the thickest guitar string they make)

soundbase

Reaction score
Yeah a pity Stringjoy doesn’t do heavier gauges. Options are pretty limited between La Bella and Kalium. Maybe haven’t heard good things about Kalium’s service. Least La bella has single guitar strings going up to 120 I think.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Check out Newtone in the UK, they'll do anything via email - good to have another option.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Nice video!
Actually you can try 72 D on your 30‘
It will feels a little bit loose but you will get a ridiculous clear and tight sound.
Personally I dropped E with a 74 on my 27.5',it's not the best feel but definitely playable,the tone sounds super clear and that is the sound I need.Also,I just covered an Architects song which is Doomsday with 56,tuned to F#, actually sounds decent when you put a thin string and tune to a low note

Bearitone

Reaction score
Nice video!
Actually you can try 72 D on your 30‘
It will feels a little bit loose but you will get a ridiculous clear and tight sound.
Personally I dropped E with a 74 on my 27.5',it's not the best feel but definitely playable,the tone sounds super clear and that is the sound I need.Also,I just covered an Architects song which is Doomsday with 56,tuned to F#, actually sounds decent when you put a thin string and tune to a low note

Sounds like flop city. Don’t you find you have to pick TOO gently when it’s that thin?

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Sounds like flop city. Don’t you find you have to pick TOO gently when it’s that thin?
Actually,not Too gently
A Floyd rose guitar has lockers,so thats not a thing
And also,I think I'm not playing too gently.On my 27.5,56F# still have about 10lbs of tension,which is definitely playable.I picked some notes even so hard,the pitch maintains good.But definitely can't smash F#,it will definitely out of pitch.Normal picking and playing aren't a thing actually.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
And actually,I tuned to Drop E with 56, covered a Chelsea Grin song.I think 56E is the point for what you've said,have to pick gently.But thankfully that song is chugging from start to end,only some E notes which I could pick gentlyBut at the outro open string I'm out,I have to hit harder and I could definitely hear some out-of-pitch notesnot a semitone,but between F and E

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Yeah a pity Stringjoy doesn’t do heavier gauges. Options are pretty limited between La Bella and Kalium. Maybe haven’t heard good things about Kalium’s service. Least La bella has single guitar strings going up to 120 I think.
Labella is who I got the .092 from! But I think .090 is enough for C# all the way down to A

soundbase

Reaction score
Yeah i tried a 72 in Drop E and Drop D but it was just a bit too floppy for me. The 90 seems to work well for E and Maybe D for me. Definitely gonna see how far can go on the 30-inch for fun.

I also got a 28-inch 7 string and that works nicely with and 80 for Drop F.

Yeah string gauge is quite a preference thing. I tend to hit the strings pretty hard. Which is why need the tension. I’ve tried playing a bit softer but just ain’t my things. Each to there own.

soundbase

Reaction score
Labella is who I got the .092 from! But I think .090 is enough for C# all the way down to A
How long did it take you to get your La Bella Strings? I’ve heard Kalium can take like months for your order to arrive.