[Bass] Which cab for F#0 bass? Live situation

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Hello friends!

Sorry for the multiples threads, but I don't want to mix different subjects, as things will get more simple! :)
As an 8 strings guitarist I'm gonna buy a Dingwall Combustion 6 strings, tuned in low F# to match my 8 strings guitar tuning BUT for playing djent but also jazz/funk music.
I really need that versatile use.

I've currently an Axe FX2 XL+ which I mainly use in live situations for guitar.
Guitar > Axe FX 2 > EXH 22 caliber > Carvin 2x12 open back Cabinet

I'd like to keep this kind of configuration for my Dingwall:
Dingwall > Axe FX2 or Darkglass B7K (useful compared to axe fx?) > EXH 22 caliber > Bass cab

Which Bass cab configuration could be good to have a good definition of the sound with this low F#0 tuning?

I was thinking about an Orange 1x15" cab, that I could bring with me more easily than a more robust cab, but as I don't know anything in bass, I'd like your advices.

Thank's in advance for your time and wisdom! :)

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Hello friends!

Sorry for the multiples threads, but I don't want to mix different subjects, as things will get more simple! :)
As an 8 strings guitarist I'm gonna buy a Dingwall Combustion 6 strings, tuned in low F# to match my 8 strings guitar tuning.

I've currently an Axe FX2 XL+ which I mainly use in live situations for guitar.
Guitar > Axe FX 2 > EXH 22 caliber > Carvin 2x12 open back Cabinet

I'd like to keep this kind of configuration for my Dingwall:
Dingwall > Axe FX2 or Darkglass B7K (useful compared to axe fx?) > EXH 22 caliber > Bass cab

Which Bass cab configuration could be good to have a good definition of the sound with this low F#0 tuning?

I was thinking about an Orange 1x15" cab, that I could bring with me more easily than a more robust cab, but as I don't know anything in bass, I'd like your advices.

Thank's in advance for your time and wisdom! :)
Tuning bass that low, i would suggest a cab with neodymium speakers.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Thank's Lewis, I know that neodymium speakers are made to be lightweight right?
Are they good for the low definition of notes?

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Ahaha yes I saw this video too, but I guess 6x10 won't be doable ahaha!
I need something more compact so I wonder if a 2x? or 1x? can be efficient?

lewis

Reaction score
Ahaha yes I saw this video too, but I guess 6x10 won't be doable ahaha!
I need something more compact so I wonder if a 2x? or 1x? can be efficient?
yeah for sure :)
I would go 2 personally if it needs to be a smaller cab.
a 1 just wont have enough "thump" i wouldnt have thought.

lewis

Reaction score
Thank's! Even 15" in a 1x15 wouldn't be efficient?
Not sure really.
The low end thump is to do with how big the cabinet is right?
Smaller it is thinner the bass or low end.

You might be fine though. Its a tough one to know without being able to try things before buying.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Thank's again for your time Lewis!

Yes, so I should consider buying a 2x? minimum.
I saw some cabs with multiples speakers in it, for example 1x15+2x10, but I bet they weight a ton?

Any advices for good 2x? cabs?

I was thinking about MARK BASS just because I find their white cabs wonderfuls, or Orange for their great color :D But without knowing anything about the sound... I read reviews, but nothing replaces a real test!

Thank's for your advices, I'd like to choose soon, so what cab could do the job in the low end, without being too dark for other genres ? =)

broj15

Reaction score
2x10/1x15 in the same enclosure is gonna be the best of both worlds imo. The 15" will help keep the low end big while the 2x10"'s will add definition, clarity, attack, etc. They're a little harder to find but keep an eye on your local classifieds for one of the old 70's silver stripe Peavey cabs. Should run you about $100-$150. Then ditch the original speakers & swap em out for some nice neodymium speakers of some sort. For frequencies that low I'd honestly look into PA speakers.
Also your EHX 22 caliber probably won't cut it if you're trying to push frequencies that low at any measurable volume. The lower the pitch the more power you'll need to make yourself heard.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You should look into Mike Arnopol Soundworks. I have a MAS-112, abs that’s designed to go really low. I have a bass tuned to C#0 that I use it for.

Also look at the Greenboy designs. The older, DIY ones were the fEARful series. The newer ones that you buy prebuilt are called fEARless. They’re also specifically designed to go super low and produce the fundamental.

Kalium has a cool sub you could consider, too.

One thing to keep in mind is that the size of the speaker cone is not related to how low of a note it can produce. There are plenty of 10” speakers that can produce fundamentals well below 15” cones.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Thank's so much for your advices!
Cardinal: do you have your bss set to low F#0? I saw "F# dive bomber" :)
Unfortunately, the Whappo cab is too expensive for me, but I'll keep it in mind...

Thank's for the brands name, but I guess you're all USA located, I'm in Europe, and the postal service is awful here... + fees for purchasing outside EU, it will be a bit complicated, but maybe in used condition, we never know =)

I was thinking about a PA Speaker too, but I guess the sound will be too flat, without personality right?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Thank's so much for your advices!
Cardinal: do you have your bss set to low F#0? I saw "F# dive bomber" :)
Unfortunately, the Whappo cab is too expensive for me, but I'll keep it in mind...

Thank's for the brands name, but I guess you're all USA located, I'm in Europe, and the postal service is awful here... + fees for purchasing outside EU, it will be a bit complicated, but maybe in used condition, we never know =)

I was thinking about a PA Speaker too, but I guess the sound will be too flat, without personality right?

I use 8-string guitars with Floyd trems.

I do have a 6-string bass with an F#0 string. The problem isn't string gauge or scale length I think. It's that at least with my amps and cabs etc., I cannot hear those low notes.

I use an SVT/810 or a 800rb/Bag End S15s. Both set ups are known to have pretty heavy roll off around 50 hz I think, so that may explain why I just can't hear the extra low notes.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Also look at the Greenboy designs. The older, DIY ones were the fEARful series. The newer ones that you buy prebuilt are called fEARless. They’re also specifically designed to go super low and produce the fundamental.
Not the fundamental of F#0 though =)
fEARfuls were specifically designed for tunings down to F#0, and are shelf-port tuned to 46Hz to have flat response down to 46Hz, the 2nd harmonic of F#0, not the fundamental (which is unnecessary).

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Not the fundamental of F#0 though =)
fEARfuls were specifically designed for tunings down to F#0, and are shelf-port tuned to 46Hz to have flat response down to 46Hz, the 2nd harmonic of F#0, not the fundamental (which is unnecessary).
True. There’s a point (which is academic, because it doesn’t matter) at which nothing is going to produce a low pitch at significant volume. Greenboy’s stuff (and others) gets lower than regular cabs, but there’s only so much we can do.

@ixlramp do you know much about Skip’s TruSub stuff from Kalium? I talked with him about it, but never bought one because it’s so expensive. Do those get lower?

Edit: looks like according to the website the trusub with the truprocessor can get down to 20Hz. Is that possible? Seems CRAZY low....

Last edited:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
True. There’s a point (which is academic, because it doesn’t matter) at which nothing is going to produce a low pitch at significant volume. Greenboy’s stuff (and others) gets lower than regular cabs, but there’s only so much we can do.

@ixlramp do you know much about Skip’s TruSub stuff from Kalium? I talked with him about it, but never bought one because it’s so expensive. Do those get lower?

Edit: looks like according to the website the trusub with the truprocessor can get down to 20Hz. Is that possible? Seems CRAZY low....

Certainly possible as far as the speaker goes - but I'm fairly sure the active processor is some kind of low shelf to extend that flat response. May be wrong!

As far as cabs in Europe - https://trickyaudio.com/wp/ in the UK is the builder I got my fEARless pair from

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
If you are trying to reproduce the fundamental, nothing on the market designed for a bass rig currently will do it.

You could build a 48 foot tall narrow column of subwoofer drivers (36 18 inch drivers could do it, but 48 12 inch drivers would have better transients ceteris paribus), but that's not practical for anyone not touring with the Grateful Dead.

A custom build using Eminence Lab12 or Lab12C drivers horn loaded (low efficiency drivers) would be your best bet. John Inlow has a wonderful set of plans using 2 of these drivers that run flat down to 25Hz in a 2'x4'x4' format which is about as small as you can get with wavelengths that large. Would need a supplemental cab to carry the sound from 100Hz and up though.

Latest posts