Best 7-String Electric Guitar Models of All Time

• Thread starter hamoftruth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aynirar27

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d put strandberg on the list, and not just because I’m a fanboy.
They really are wonderfully designed guitars with a clear vision done successfully. They stay out of your way and just let you play.
They are definitely priced at a premium but I’ve found lots of good used deals to be had

jco5055

Reaction score
As far as RGD 7 strings, the RGD2127z was the first Prestige level RGD released. And yeah, I think that did start the bevel trend along with BTB basses.

You forgot this pointy one.

warlock002.jpg

Was this BC Rich actually an all time great 7 string? Or was it more a case of importance/significance as like the first Neck thru production 7 that was not a budget model?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Another vote for the top probably being a MM JP# or Majesty. There are a lot of minor but valuable innovations on those guitars. The craftsmanship is also arguably some of the best, though not a Mayones.

I have very little desire for any MM guitars all the same. The Kaizen seems pretty cool, but not enough for a blind date on my behalf. Until they make a Morse sig 7 (never) I'll stick with my Prestiges.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Was this BC Rich actually an all time great 7 string? Or was it more a case of importance/significance as like the first Neck thru production 7 that was not a budget model?
It was important and significant being that it was an early adopter to 7 strings and was one of the earliest neck through seven stringers, though production of the USA BCR models were fairly limited. It was one of the seven strings that was always an out-of-reach dream guitar. I have yet to ever get my hands on one of those.

Compared to the Ibanez Prestige 7s many of us own or have played, the BC Rich USA 7s were at least a worthy footnote in the early history of production sevens.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
It was important and significant being that it was an early adopter to 7 strings and was one of the earliest neck through seven stringers, though production of the USA BCR models were fairly limited. It was one of the seven strings that was always an out-of-reach dream guitar. I have yet to ever get my hands on one of those.

Compared to the Ibanez Prestige 7s many of us own or have played, the BC Rich USA 7s were at least a worthy footnote in the early history of production sevens.
I believe I'm correct in saying the Ibanez Universe was the first production 7-string, with 7-string RGs following shortly behind as the first non-signature / more affordable production 7-strings. This makes them pretty significant "footnotes".

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I believe I'm correct in saying the Ibanez Universe was the first production 7-string, with 7-string RGs following shortly behind as the first non-signature / more affordable production 7-strings. This makes them pretty significant "footnotes".
Uh, yeah. Refer to my prior comment in this thread, quoted below, for reference.
Ibanez Universe - it was the first widely available production 7 string that was worth a damn.
Ibanez RG7620 - This was a mainstay follow-up to the Universe.
Ibanez RGD2127z - A modified RG with sharper aesthetics and an extra inch of scale length. Add the titanium supported neck and decent V77/V87 stock pickups (easily swappable for Duncans) for the win!

1999 B.C. Rich USA Warlock 7 string - One that got away.. This US made pointy 7 string featured a semi-hollow body with a four hole sound chamber, low B boost circuit, and those nice mother-of-pearl large diamond inlays on an ebony fretboard. Oh yeah, it was also neck through body construction!

Jackson Misha 7 string - The USA made version was all types of fun for drop G# tuning. Oh yeah, and it came stock with Bareknuckles.

Ibanez K7 / APEX200 - Korn definitely left a mark on the 7 string world and the K and APEX series signature models were well-deserved.

Personally I have an RGD2127z, an RGDR3127s, and an RG3727fz. Ibanez has some pretty great reputation with 7 strings. It is really hard to go wrong with any 7 string out of the Fujigen facility.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I'm chipping in for the RG7620. Even though it's not the OG 7 string production model for rock and metal, it has been the guitar that brought 7 string out of obscurity. They simply look and play great, my definition of a work horse guitar. I own two and will probably never get rid of them.

That said, after the first time I got an Aristides 070 in my hands I discovered something next level in feel and sound though. So an honorable mention for these.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
"Best" is subjective and - in some cases - comes down to luck of the draw when buying production models.

I agree with putting Ibanez on the list, but I definitely also need Schecter on there, so I'm glad that they've been mentioned. We can't ignore ESP/LTD because they also had some great models out there.

My personal list (in no specific order):
- Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR
- Ibanez RG2027X
- ESP LTD SC607B

Also, who pioneered multiscale? I feel like that might be worth a spot on the "Best" list?

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, it depends on what your requirements are. For me, It's an affordable guitar that I can mod the heck out of it and not worry about it. So I would say that the best 7 string guitar for modding is the 2000/2001 Squier Stagemaster 7. It came in two flavors: a hard tail and a Floyd Rose licensed locking bridge.

Floyd Rose (licensed):
View attachment 133689
Factory set up was HxH. I changed it to HSH using DiMarzio Blaze pickups, a brass trem block, & strap locks.

Hardtail:

View attachment 133690
This one is a hardtail. Factory HxH. Converted it to a HSH. Pickups are DiMarzio Illuminator 7 bridge, Blaze 7 middle, PAF 7 neck. Bone nut & Schaller strap locks. It's my go-to 7 string.
Wow. Nice conversion!

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
@TheBloodstained when referring the Ibanez RG2027X, which one are you talking about, the one from early 2000's with the piezos or the latest one?
Both models seem to be pretty highly thought of, but I assume he means the 2000-2002 RG2027X, as the current model is RG2027XL.
I was thinking of the early 2000's piezo one. A friend of mine had one that I got to play a lot. The new XL one is on my personal "most wanted" list currently though.

Reaction score
I was thinking of the early 2000's piezo one. A friend of mine had one that I got to play a lot. The new XL one is on my personal "most wanted" list currently though.
2x of the early 2000's live with me, one bought new in early 2002 and the other more recently used... and I managed to have an RG1527 modded to feature piezos as the older ladies... super cool guitars.

The 2027XL is also one of those that keeps blinking its eyes on me... those are sexy...

crik

Reaction score
the first production 7 was a gretsch george van eps.