Best "boost" pedal?

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
So I recently pulled the trigger on a Bugera 6262 head and (as mad as this sounds) it doesn't have enough gain for me (despite all the reviews saying it has "more than you'll ever need.") Either that or the head didn't come perfectly biased or the tubes are already dead.

So I'm looking to boost it up a little ... I've read good things about Tubescreamers and stuff but I don't know which pedal to go for. I will be using it for 7 and 8 string Metal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AzzMan

Reaction score
You shouldn't be running the gain on that amp at max; if you run a tubescreamer, you should back it off to like noon. If something else is wrong with the amp, fix it.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
You shouldn't be running the gain on that amp at max; if you run a tubescreamer, you should back it off to like noon. If something else is wrong with the amp, fix it.

Gonna do some checks on the amp of course, but I still feel I need a booster pedal of some sort.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Heh to noon? If the 6262 is the 6505+ copy then I would say if you boost it you won't need to go much past 3 on the dial to get monster gain from the thing. If it is not the 6505 or 6505+ copy then I am talking out of my ass, of course.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Heh to noon? If the 6262 is the 6505+ copy then I would say if you boost it you won't need to go much past 3 on the dial to get monster gain from the thing. If it is not the 6505 or 6505+ copy then I am talking out of my ass, of course.

I'm not entirely sure, but if the gain is really that ridiculous on this thing then there's something wrong here ... could be my tube bias, tubes, emg batteries or even cables.

nonr

Reaction score
My friend has a 6260 and it pretty much kills small animals when the gain is set to about 9 o'clock (about 3). A tubescreamer tightens the sound somewhat but the 6260 is pretty tight already as is.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
If it doesn't have enough gain for you already, nothing will ever have enough gain for you, boosted or otherwise :lol:

But strictly speaking of boost pedals, the Green Rhino from Way Huge sounds excellent. It's more or less a tube screamer that doesn't kill your low end.

groph

Reaction score
Yep, if an amp that is based off of a 5150 II doesn't have more than enough gain then it's an issue with the amp or you just don't like how the amp is voiced/don't like the pre-amp or power amp character. I assume this amp is pretty much all pre-amp gain, which tends to be rougher and colder sounding than a clipping poweramp. So, get it looked at if there's a lack of gain because there should be a shitload.

Boosts aren't really used in high gain amps to increase gain, they're usually used to tighten the low end up a bit and change the dynamics. A boosted amp feels a bit "squishier" when you play through it (you will palm mute for 3 hours, trust me it's awesome) due to the added compression. You're putting a bigger signal through the amp when you run it through a boost and that in turn drives the tubes harder. You typically lose a bit of low end with such a pedal, which helps tighten things. The Ibanez TS-9, Maxon OD-808, and MXR GT-OD are commonly recommended on this board. They all do the same thing.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if it's a bias problem ... where can I buy a kit to check that in the UK?

groph

Reaction score
You don't get a kit, you'd use a volt meter to check the bias. Not sure if you can bias the tubes yourself with these amps and if you don't know what you're doing, take it to a tech, there is electricity in the tubes and you could shock the living fuck out of yourself. You might be referring to a bias mod kit? Since 5150's have fixed biases, meaning you can't actually change them without getting the amp modded (as far as I understand), people opt for this mod and set the bias a bit "warmer" (higher) so the tone in the end comes out "warmer," a common complaint is that 5150-like amps sound cold out of the box. Your 6262 is based off of the 5150 II so I assume it also has a fixed bias but I certainly don't know for sure.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
You don't get a kit, you'd use a volt meter to check the bias. Not sure if you can bias the tubes yourself with these amps and if you don't know what you're doing, take it to a tech, there is electricity in the tubes and you could shock the living fuck out of yourself. You might be referring to a bias mod kit? Since 5150's have fixed biases, meaning you can't actually change them without getting the amp modded (as far as I understand), people opt for this mod and set the bias a bit "warmer" (higher) so the tone in the end comes out "warmer," a common complaint is that 5150-like amps sound cold out of the box. Your 6262 is based off of the 5150 II so I assume it also has a fixed bias but I certainly don't know for sure.

There's a knob inside the head called "Bias Adjust" ... I just need to know where to go in the UK to get what I need.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Just changed my EMG batteries and this amp still isn't blowing me away at all ... gain at 10 and it's nowhere near "killing small animals." Single note riffs sound especially thin and lifeless and soloing/scales/sweeps seem almost unresponsive, as if I haven't picked the notes hard enough but I know I am. This thing is fizzy as fuck ... somethings definitely up here, but I'm not sure what?

groph

Reaction score
Yeah, really, the gain set to 3 or 4 should be more than enough. 2 with a boost. Try setting all of the controls to 6 (6-6-6 bass/middle/treble) as it's a good place to start with these sorts of amps just to make sure it's not an EQ issue. Sounds like there's an issue with the amp.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure how close the 6262 is gain-wise to the 5150ii, check this out. The guy's got the gain maxed in this vid. Maybe they just have less gain :shrug:

Anyway, in my experience, I like the TS-808 the best. That being said, I haven't tried a Maxon OD-808, but from the clips I've heard, I like it more. Because it's also cheaper than a TS-808, I'd take it over it for sure even though I haven't played one. I find the 808s to be tighter, dryer, warmer, and smoother.

My Bad Monkey does the job, but it's kinda noisey, harsh, and a little "particley", like hearing added distortion (as in pure noise) over top of your core tone. It works and I use it now but I'd like to upgrade. Also, apologies for the nonsense post.

Nesty

Reaction score
There is 100% something wrong with the amp if you think it doesn't have enough gain. Sounds like dead tubes to be, get it checked out.

If you are looking at an OD pedal, then I suggest the Maxon 808. Gain set to 0 and tone and balance set to your tastes will tighten up the sound nicely. I wouldn't typically fiddle with the gain knob considering I have plenty of that with my 6262.

When I think of boosting I thinm of an MXR 10 band EQ. Typically used to "boost" the signal for example, when you're playing a solo in a band situation and want it to stand out.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
There is 100% something wrong with the amp if you think it doesn't have enough gain. Sounds like dead tubes to be, get it checked out.

If you are looking at an OD pedal, then I suggest the Maxon 808. Gain set to 0 and tone and balance set to your tastes will tighten up the sound nicely. I wouldn't typically fiddle with the gain knob considering I have plenty of that with my 6262.

When I think of boosting I thinm of an MXR 10 band EQ. Typically used to "boost" the signal for example, when you're playing a solo in a band situation and want it to stand out.

I'll get the amp looked at ... there's something definitely not right about it, do you reckon I'll just have to buy all new tubes? When the amp is on all 4 of them glow a light red, I thought that meant they were fine?

EDIT: Nevermind, now that I look carefully I can see that one of the tubes isn't glowing red in the middle at all, it was the reflection off the other tubes that made it look like it was fine.

Nesty

Reaction score
I'll get the amp looked at ... there's something definitely not right about it, do you reckon I'll just have to buy all new tubes? When the amp is on all 4 of them glow a light red, I thought that meant they were fine?

EDIT: Nevermind, now that I look carefully I can see that one of the tubes isn't glowing red in the middle at all, it was the reflection off the other tubes that made it look like it was fine.

La Qotsa?

You made the exact same thread in Ultimate-Guitar haha!

OT: It should be an easy fix, let us know how you get on.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
La Qotsa?

You made the exact same thread in Ultimate-Guitar haha!

OT: It should be an easy fix, let us know how you get on.

That's me haha ... I've kind of strayed away from UG onto here, but I always like it for a second opinion.

The amp is 2 days old ... I emailed Thomann about hooking me up with a replacement tube, 1 is definitely dead and it came like that.

Unless I should use this an excuse to get better tubes? I assume Bugera stock ones are the greatest.