Best Digital Audio Interface (Focusrite vs Behringer vs Audient)

Lukhas

Reaction score
Has anyone here had success with the Steinberg ur22mk2 for guitar recording and vsts?
I have it and use it for my system audio and for amp sims in REAPER as I don't own a physical amplifier. While the interface originally advertised a buffer size of 64 samples, Steinberg has implemented support for 32 samples through driver updates. That said, and while it's not the purpose of the thread, I prefer it at 64 samples when doing something more intensive on the whole system like gaming. 32 samples works pretty much only in DAW for me, be it with a Intel i5-6600K (16GB DDR4 3000-CL15) or an AMD R5-3600 (16GB DDR4 3600-CL16 memory). When multi-tasking at 32 samples, I tend to have audio dropouts: the audio just dies for a couple of seconds and comes back.

Aside from that, I think it's fine. It wasn't built for 32 samples of latency, but I don't have much to complain about otherwise. You won't turn the Input Gain knob very high, but Gain on an interface is like Gain on an amp: higher isn't better, and you're not necessarily missing out on something just because you can't turn the gain very high.

That said, for the same price and if I had to buy an interface today, I probably at least would try a Behringer UMC404HD. The price is way too good to not at least try it, and the reviews seems rather positive. It also has more features; I kinda regret not having two high impedance inputs on my UR22MkII to switch between instruments seamlessly.

Other than that, a DI box is most likely the way to go with such interfaces if you're really worried about the preamp quality.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skmanga

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I am considering trading my basically new and unused 11 rack for a UR22mk2.
I am just hoping that it works well for guitar+vst's.
From everything i gather it should do the job fine.

Thank you for the replies!

Lukhas

Reaction score
I wonder if I would trade a Eleven Rack for a UR22mk2. I do understand the Eleven hasn't been updated in quite a few years, but it's still a very capable processor. Think about it this way: would you sell it used for 120$/€? Because that's the price of the Steinberg interface. And it doesn't come with anything but a cheap Cubase license. At least, even though it's very barebone in terms of features and wouldn't be my first choice for that reason, the Focusrite units come with a good software bundle, and the Behringer comes with a good price.

Unless you really don't like the Eleven Rack, that's not a trade I would make.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
I wonder if I would trade a Eleven Rack for a UR22mk2. I do understand the Eleven hasn't been updated in quite a few years, but it's still a very capable processor. Think about it this way: would you sell it used for 120$/€? Because that's the price of the Steinberg interface. And it doesn't come with anything but a cheap Cubase license. At least, even though it's very barebone in terms of features and wouldn't be my first choice for that reason, the Focusrite units come with a good software bundle, and the Behringer comes with a good price.

Its a pain to dial patches but it sounds great. Very nice option.

Focusrite Gen 1 and 2 are riddled with issues, once can get a good piece, but why risk it ?
Behringer sounds really good, but its best tested with your machine if it has latency issues or not.

skmanga

Reaction score

I have been debating trading because like you said it isnt an equal value trade.
Thing is my presonus audiobox usb has shot inputs and crap latency.

I tried setting up my 11 rack as a secondary interface to route my guitar through, while keeping my audiobox on with my monitors to output sound and couldnt get it working.
My daw's would recognize that the device was intalled but they wouldnt get any signal from the device. Meters showed nothing.

Its possible that not having my monitors through the 11 rack was causing issues but that seems weird.
I did read something about the 11 rack taking control as the only sound device on a system but was not sure what it meant.
I also dont think I would be able to use Vst's which wouldn't be exactly necessary with the 11r but it would be nice.

Itd be nice to get the 11rack working the way I need.
There are also issues with updating the firmware on windows and having to revert and uninstall Internet explorer to get it working on win7.

All of that got me going in the direction of a new interface.

Reaction score
Focusrite Gen 1 and 2 are riddled with issues, once can get a good piece, but why risk it ?

You know... I keep seeing that the Gen 1 units had issues but every bit of googling I've turned up pointed to the 1st and 2nd Gen Scarletts that had the red outer housing.

I have the 1st Gen 8i6 (pictured below). I've not once had an issue with it other than having to unplug it and plug it back in because Windows went to sleep and the driver couldn't recover. I'd say if you can find either this unit or the 18i6, you're golden.

Focusrite-Scarlett-8i6.jpg

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
You know... I keep seeing that the Gen 1 units had issues but every bit of googling I've turned up pointed to the 1st and 2nd Gen Scarletts that had the red outer housing.

I have the 1st Gen 8i6 (pictured below). I've not once had an issue with it other than having to unplug it and plug it back in because Windows went to sleep and the driver couldn't recover. I'd say if you can find either this unit or the 18i6, you're golden.

Quality control is a hit and miss, I am happy that you got a good piece.
I've had much better results with cheapest Behringer (both preamp quality and longetivity).

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score

When I was shopping for interfaces the local sales guys told me to avoid focusrite because of the high volume of returns on them.

Reaction score
When I was shopping for interfaces the local sales guys told me to avoid focusrite because of the high volume of returns on them.
See, that's just odd because I swear by my Scarlett. Like I mentioned, googling seems to lead to the ones with the red shroud around the body, but I can't find anyone reporting problems with the units that have red faceplates (8i6 and 18i6)

Vinny554

Reaction score
For the sake of updating everyone who’d like to hear if the issue was resolved...I ended up returning the iD14. It appears that it just did not have a high enough headroom for my pickups and hard strumming. So, I bought a 3rd gen Scarlett 2i2 temporarily to test out. Headroom issue was definitely improved. No clipping, but still getting pretty high levels close to clipping (mostly yellow ranges - unsure of what dB range this is).

for peace of mind and because my Sweetwater rep gave me a discount for the hassle, I ended up with an iD22. Few bucks more than the previously mentioned, but massive headroom and wonderful preamp (so I’ve heard). Haven’t done any vocal recording yet, but for SM7Bs the iD22 is supposed to be a great fit due to the clean gain.

Once we finish the new record/single, I’ll post a song here so y’all can get an idea.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Really curious how the performance compares to Scarlett gen 3 , the usb C is suposed to improve performance.

binz

Reaction score
The recommended RME products seem far out of my reach, but the praised Audient products seem feasible.
Do I get this right that e.g. id14 and id22 only differentiate in inputs/outputs? I dont really need much, guitar and microphone (SM7B), so I guess an id14 or even a id4 could do the trick for me.