Best gig bag for your used prestige?

• Thread starter l1ll1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey,

just found a dream guitar of mine (NGD post incoming) and since I had such a good experience with Mono gig bags traveling with my strat I'd like to find something as fitting and rugged for the 7621 I just scored. The Mono bag I have fits, but the longer 7string and deeper angled headstock is bends the bag and it's not as protected as the Strat it normally holds.

Any experiences?
Thanks!

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Zup,

It didn't come in a prestige hard case? Most prestige models have dedicated hard cases, try calling Ibanez and seeing if they can point you in the right direction.

If you have a nice guitar and use a gig bag, shit's gonna happen. You won't like it. You will wish you used a hard case.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.
Bought the RG from the first owner who had no case (the guitar is from '99) and it was a really good price. Since I'm travelling a lot via train a hard case is too much and I really had good experiences with Mono bags.
Ibanez suggested their Powerpad Ultra.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trem licking

Reaction score
If you're gonna be wearing it on your back and not hauling it with other equipment, a GOOD softcase might be fine, but for any hardcore travel or potential roughness a hardcase is a must

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I know, im not asking for touring with a van but light traveling where a case is just too bulky and a good gig bag can be worn over a shoulder.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
I don't know if they come in different lengths OR if they are long enough to fit, but the Reunion Blues gig bag that my Caparison came in - that thing is built like a tank.

Next (down) in my personal experience is the Gator Transit series. Not quite as tough as the R.B. and not quite as padded, but pretty nice.

Reaction score
I'm in love with Gator's GoPro gig bags for electric guitars, have 2 of these. Ibanez RGs fit quite well in these and I think they're compatible with either 25.5" and 27" RGs.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I carry my expensive guitars around in a Mono Vertigo. It's expensive, but I wanted no compromises to carry around my favorite guitars.
It fits everything I own save for my classical, acoustic, and archtop guitars. That includes my Carvin DC727 7-string and even my Boden 8. I'm curious if it will fit my Oni 8 once I get it, but that guitar probably won't leave home for a while.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heyyy thanks for your input! Never tried the Gator ProGos, definitely gonna try those if I can find them around here.
The Mono Vertigo seems to have more space for the angled headstock then the Mono bag I have (a Sleeve), also gonna try that.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
I am very happy with my Roadrunner Avenue series gig bag. You can get them in sale from MF and GC pretty often. Scored a deal for a discontinued red color for about $40 each and they are about on par with my PRS SE bag that I would consider the bar in that price range.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Heyyy thanks for your input! Never tried the Gator ProGos, definitely gonna try those if I can find them around here.
The Mono Vertigo seems to have more space for the angled headstock then the Mono bag I have (a Sleeve), also gonna try that.
Yeah, I considered the Sleeve too because it looks super cool, but the Vertigo is a fucking tank and the neck support is massive. There's a lot of room for headstocks and I'm sure it'll do the trick for the problem you're having. Then again, it IS pricey, but I think it'll probably last forever.

Sadly, it doesn't protect against my biggest fear when I walk around with my favorite guitar in it: being mugged and have my guitar taken away from me 😅 a low probability of that happening where I live (forever thankful for that), but I've seen enough shit in my life to ever shake the paranoia. :lol:

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I have an Ibanez Powerpad bag and it works just fine for me. It mainly gets used for fitting my guitar in the trunk of my guitar without putting the back seats down to fit the hard case.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Which specific Mono do you have? My Aristides 080 came in a Mono and it fits the guitar very well. Not sure which Mono model this is specifically, but I don't think it was exclusive to Aristides. My H/08 came in a Quantum Industries bag that is great as well. Perhaps a bit less nice than the Mono, but has some very clever and useful design upgrades.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So for all the nice people who posted here:
Had a case of dumb luck and found a Mono M80 bag for dirt cheap in a store. Has a tiny bit more depth (not length tho) for the headstock of my 7string RG than the Vertigo they also had in stock, but the M80 fits the guitar really well. Downside is, the body has a little play in the gig bag, so I definitely wont use it when traveling in a packed van, but for all the train rides ahead it feels perfect.

Thanks again for all your input!