"Best" Noise Supressor pedal

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

grim505

Reaction score
sometimes i just put my amp on stand by when im on stage and pretend im :shred:...takes care of the noise perfectly fine :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I use a standard ISP Decimator which is fantastic :yesway:

I wonder how the new MXR Noise clamp compares to the Smart Gate... or the new Rocktron Reaction HUSH to the ISP...

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
After using an ISP Decimator, it is the only pedal I consider mandatory for ANY rig.

The other ISP options are probably even better, but the Decimator functions so well I don't see how things could be better, things are dead silent, and it doesn't rape soft notes too fast (that seems to be the main problem of other pedals, the older MXR noise gate especially)

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
decimator is said to be sonically transparent and has 1 less knob, ns-2 has the decay knob and is said to color tone a bit at high levels

Both will kill your noise though, and you need to buy the much more expensive decimator to do what the ns2 can do for like 40$ used.

I went with the ns2 myself, its probably the only boss product that I'd use.

Well, if money is your only concern, then you might as well just get the Behringer NR300, because it literally does what the NS2 does and is cheaper still. :lol:

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
DV016_Jpg_Large_150366_V.jpg

/Thread

Not a pedal.

Thread title: "Best" noise supressor pedal.

One of these things is not like the other....

Angus Clark

Reaction score
As an owner of the noise clamp, I can surely say it rocks! I tried it side by side the NS-2 and it did hardly nothing to the tone, whilst the NS-2 killed some high end. Haven't tried any ISPs though.

Oh, and http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2580620-post3.html is the 'X connection' deal. There's also the method of [(guitar---gate input---gate output---chain of non noisy pedals---amp input)(gate send---chain of noisy effects---gate return)] (put your non noisy pedals in your effect loop if you guitar has one).

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I see that the ISP only has 1 knob on it ... I like the idea of the Decay knob for "ultra tight riffs" ... does an ISP pedal not do that at all?

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
I have an ISP Decimator that I ran in a 6505+. I should have probably gone with the Decimator G-string. I never really found a happy medium between losing sustain on the clean channel and hum reduction/unwanted feedback protection on the lead channel. I understand that this could be corrected by the addition of an NS-2 and using both in their specific way. But I'm attempting to sell off my live gear because from here on out I'm pretty much just recording and I'll be using an Axe-fx II.

I think that what most guys here are saying is valid: you may want to hold off for a bit, if possible, and just get yourself the Decimator rack. No one has ever complained about the rack. Ever. And yes, budget is always a concern with gear, but nothing is worse than buying gear only to find out that you will have to buy more gear because you need something else. Yuck.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty cool stuff. But if you can't adjust the decay on the ISP surely it's never "really" where you want it to be at?

The way the knob works is like this, at 3.5 it kills all buzz, and at 4.5 it starts to effect decay.

So there is no real need for two knobs, by the time you are starting to adjust when you want your notes to decay it has already removed noise/buzz.

It is used before the amp in the signal chain for best results, in the effects loop it just doesn't work as well (cuts notes too fast).

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
And what about the rocktron hush pedal? It in the middle of the NS2 and ISP price wise.
from the demos I've seen the mxe noise clamp works a lot better.

danieluber1337

☻☺☻☼☺☻☺
Reaction score
I always thought that the ISP was a gate whose ratio was dependent on the decay rate of the source signal... if the signal's decaying slowly, ISP gates it softly, if it's decaying quickly, ISP gates hard.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty cool stuff. But if you can't adjust the decay on the ISP surely it's never "really" where you want it to be at?

The decay is faster and smoother than the NS-2 from my experience, even at it's fastest setting the NS-2 was a bit slower in comparison IMO and always sputtered a tiny bit as the gate closes.