Best P90 for Detuned Metal

• Thread starter ErockRPh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just got my new Harley Benton baritone in. I haven't decided on the tuning I'm going to use just yet, but I'm leaning towards F# standard/Drop-E, or just going all the way to low E standard. I don't need the full range of an 8-string, but I want the lows.

The P90's it comes with are decent, but I want something a bit more brutal and djenty. I'd prefer not to route the body or modify the pickguard to fit actual humbuckers, but I definitely am looking for a pickup with more chug. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement pickups that will fit a p90 soapbar route to get me a chunky, low-mid oomph? I was looking at Pig 90's and Supermassive's from BKP, and the Lace Aluma 90 Riffian, but do any P90's actually handle low chugs that well?. An EMG P60/P81 combo is my last resort, but I hate the idea of actives when the battery is under the pickguard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score

He also does custom winds

LCW

Reaction score
OP - Have you tried the Seymour Duncan Hot P90?

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a P90 pickup in humbucker size. He needs a P90 route pup.
Right, I'm more looking for the opposite - a humbucker (or something that sounds like one) that i can drop in a P90 route.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Right, I'm more looking for the opposite - a humbucker (or something that sounds like one) that i can drop in a P90 route.
DiMarzio Super Distortion P90 sounds great in my opinion, but I've heard a couple guys on here have their qualms.

Guitar Fetish has a pretty good budget option that I tried, although a tad muddy but I didn't keep it long enough to really play around with EQ's.

oracles

Reaction score

Linked the wrong one earlier, but I'd still very much back Avedissian for this. Custom wind options for whatever you want, very reasonable pricing and quick turnaround

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
BKP Pig 90 could be a solid option.

Purelojik

Reaction score
another pickup to add, the McNelly STagger Swagger, I'll be posting my NGD for my own personal build that has them in it tuned to drop E on a 7. and damn its nice. might edge out a buncha others I like.