Best phaser for Dave Murray powerslave solo tone?

• Thread starter JediMasterThrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Yeah, the Boss Choruses tend to add that upper mid clarity to the overall sound. The Dimension does it, but the CE-2 does also. I have been comparing some of my CE-2 clones the last few days, and this really stood out to me. That Chorus seems to have more clarity than say the EHX versions, but it is just because of those booster upper mids.
When did we all become Eric Johnson? :lol: It used to be... "Hello, GC. I need a chorus pedal. No, no... the Boss is too expensive. Just gimme that DOD one. No, I don't need the box."

Shask

Reaction score
When did we all become Eric Johnson? :lol: It used to be... "Hello, GC. I need a chorus pedal. No, no... the Boss is too expensive. Just gimme that DOD one. No, I don't need the box."
I love my Chorus, lol. I probably have 10 Chorus pedals. Many of them I built.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Check out the Seymour Duncan Polaron phaser. Analog but digitally controlled, so there are 3 presets. 2,4,6,8,10,12,14, or 16 stages (how many phasers have this option?!). Tap tempo. The usual LFO mode and an envelope follower mode which reacts to the dynamics. Envelope up or env down. It has a second Key input to trigger the envelope follower: when using distortion or compression, there isn't much dynamic range for the env follower to react to, so I split my signal at the first pedal and send one to the Key input and the other thru the chain. The phaser is in the FX loop and it applies the effect post-distortion, but it's reacting to the dynamics of the dry signal.
It can get some nice vocal tones going.
Like most mods, it lacks a dry/wet blend. I think every mod should have this. So I run my mods in a Tri-Parallel Mixer so I have a dry blend option, and can run multiple mods in parallel.

With all these controls, you can recreate pretty much any phaser sound with the Polaron.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
It's definitely not just a phaser. I always figured it was a phaser and wah, but I don't know for sure either.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
Back to the OPs question for a mo, I added a univibe into the Maiden ish patch I have on my axefx.

Lower all the settings, reduce the mix a bit and you have that instant chorus-y subtle cocked wah sound.