Best playing low end 6 you have owed?

• Thread starter Detested
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Detested

Reaction score
Thought I would post this to maybe help newbs or maybe a newb you know,decided to get my omen 6 string through up and running again,new strings,neck back in whak and man this thing plays better than I remember,sustain and arch top feel good,pups decent, only bad is strings are off center of neck,hehe.
Please tell of your cheap 6's.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
I still have my first-run Santana SE from 2002. That thing has been my main axe throughout undergrad and g rad school. Made me fall in love with a rounder fretboard radius and thicker neck. Its been through a few pickup changes bit it is probably the last guitar I would ever sell. :shred:

Matt_D_

Reaction score
Ibanez SZ520FM.

they were awesome guitars. I'd love to see them return in some shape!

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I've mostly played low-end gear and only recently starting graduating to main-tier production stuff so yea, could probably fill out a whole sub-genre but I'll try and limit myself.

If you want a basic strat style, Japanese Squiers kick all kinds of ass, but the new Classic Vibes aren't bad. Standard Strats are very good now too since Fender upgraded the hardware and designs a bit. I'm having to do more work to my LTD ST213 than I did any of the Fender cheapies otherwise I'd recommend that.

If you want a nice super strat, Japanese RG's are still pretty much where it's at in the value department. Newer Indonesian RGs aren't bad either and I didn't really dislike my RG350 vs my original RG550. Both were purchased sub $300 so take that into consideration.

As far as 7s go, you can still find the occasional awesome deal on RG7321 or 742X style. My first 7 was an RG7321 I grabbed for $150.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I still have my first-run Santana SE from 2002. That thing has been my main axe throughout undergrad and g rad school. Made me fall in love with a rounder fretboard radius and thicker neck. Its been through a few pickup changes bit it is probably the last guitar I would ever sell. :shred:

I guess we have very differing opinions on what 'low end' means. :lol:

Where I am, owning a PRS SE would be a dream for most unemployed players ie students. It just costs too much to be considered a low end guitar.

I was thinking one of those older SX Teles which were priced at US$99. Those were mean playing and sounding guitars!

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I guess we have very differing opinions on what 'low end' means. :lol:

Where I am, owning a PRS SE would be a dream for most unemployed players ie students. It just costs too much to be considered a low end guitar.

I was thinking one of those older SX Teles which were priced at US$99. Those were mean playing and sounding guitars!

Yea, it would help to define 'low end.' Personally, anything under $700 USD new is low-end as far as I am concerned. Hell, I was able to afford a $500 Epiphone Les Paul back when I was 15 from my janitor job at a local movie theatre.

There's low end and then there's super budget. SX, Douglas and Xaviere all fall into that. I've had a half decent SX and the Xaviere HSS w/ the setneck I had was surprisingly awesome.

wrongnote85

Reaction score
this dude right here

93 korean squire strat that i've modded to high heaven

954019942_photobucket_72655_.jpg

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
A lot of Schecter's lower end stuff is really good. My Gryphon is amazing. Still play that thing. SO HEAVY! Just throw some better pickups in and you've got a good setup. They're built really well, too.

I liked the lower end Joe Satriani Ibanez, too. I paid about 300 for it in excellent condition at GC, so I don't think they'd be much over 500, if at all. Really poor setup, but with a little time, I got it perfect. Decent pickups for the price and very playable after setting it up.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I had an RG380DX that someone else had modded with a lo pro and dimarzio pickups (HH on a 5-way), I paid about R3500 for it at the time, in my country just the pickups would have cost half of that, so it's technically low end but not off the shelf :)

For those who don't know the RG380DX was made in Japan in the early 90's and was a budget instrument in many respects, the weird thing is that the body was resin cast, so essentially sawdust glued into solid form. Despite not being made of wood the thing still sounded baller - My best friend currently owns her, so I may even buy her back one day :D

RG390GX_PL.jpg

Philip N

Reaction score
First run Chapman ML1. This thing is ridiculously good.
Still own it and will never sell it!

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I guess my Squier Jazzmaster is low-end and it's fantastic. It's quite an expensive Squier though... sort of the high end of low-end.

My Vintage V100 (Les Paul copy) is really, really good too.

It's very rare so difficult to find, but I just snagged a Japanese-made Tokai PRS clone for significantly less than the price of a new SE.

s4tch

Reaction score
Ibanez RT250 is not low-end, but ridiculously cheap, even cheaper than a new low-end guitar. I got this one for the price of a new GIO, or even less, and after a setup, it played like a champ and sounds like a beast. Best sustain on any trem-equipped guitar, too.

BTW I dig Squier Bullets, those are genuine low-end guitars. My brother has one, I've set it up with a fairly low action, it plays effortless. Electronics and tuners look and sound cheap, though.

DrZoidberg

Reaction score
I've owned two Epiphone Les Pauls that have been nothing short of stellar for the price. I believe they were $325 and $400.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
the new charvel desolation series is amazing. smooth unfinished wood neck, locking tuners, and good pickups. they are a win straight out of the box :)