Best Strap Locks: Schaller, Dunlop, other??

• Thread starter neum18
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neum18

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm done taking chances on a regular strap. I just got an EC-258 and very unfortunately after a week my strap fell off and the guitar fell face down. I got a little dent in it. I tried the d'addario clipping strap or whatever and unfortunately it leaves a little ring on the satin finish. Otherwise it felt great and very secure.

Anyone have opinions or suggestions for strap locks? I've heard also horror stories from these (i.e. stripping/them falling out). I emailed esp for screw sizes.

Any help appreciated.

gclef

Reaction score
I got a set of schaller straplocks way back when with my first real guitar, a '90 strat plus deluxe. Since my strap was set up with the schaller hardware, all my subsequent guitars got them as well.

Its a great design. If you install the cups facing up, even if the strap lock mechanisms fail, the pins will rest in the cups.

I like this belt and suspenders aspect.

Compared to dunlop straplocks, which can drop out of the ends of the pins.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
if you don't need to take the strap off, just swap out the lugs for washers

lewis

Reaction score
Literally any rubber washer ala the Beer bottle style.

I've used rubber washers for years now with oversized strap buttons to really wedge them on and They never fail

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Go full on Zakk Wylde mode and install some big ass eye screws and mountain climbing clips to your strap if you don't mind the clanking noises that come with that setup :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zakk-Wylde-by-Ivan-Chopik-2.jpg

I've used Shallers for years on all of my guitars. I recently got a set of Dunlop straplocks for my Goldtop and they both work well!

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
They seem to work for others but I've tried schaller, dunlop, and the dimarzio cliplock system and the moving parts failed on every single one within a year or two of gigging. I am a firm believer that fewer moving parts=better design.

Now I just buy strap buttons with larger ends, anchor them with longer screws (use a drill, kids), and only take the strap off for maintenance so the eyelets don't get worn out. No moving parts, nothing to break, no worries ever.

This is the most recent set I bought, they work great, but there are lots of designs out there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LDZYFFS/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

død

Reaction score
I’ve had Dunlops on all my guitars for the past 16 or so years and never had them fail on me. Apart from that fucking washer that secures the locking mechanisms together being the hardest thing in the world to get in place, they’re great.

Lax

Reaction score
Honestly I have fender beer type rubber washers on all my guitars...Even the 4k€ one :D
Strap locks are ugly and don't fit some guitar cases.
I had schallers on a JP6 in the past and they sure worked fine, but the nut couldn't stop unscrewing even with a little loctite...

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You won't get a definite answer out of this thread because:

- I use Grolsch washers. I don't want to modify my guitar! (I guess these guys don't use cases)

- Dunlops are the best, you can use regular straps too! (but if they fail your guitar is dead)

- Schallers are the best, since even if they fail the guitar will never drop. (but they annoyingly unscrew
over time, and are noisy)

- Dimarzio Cliplock is where it's at. Never had a failure in 20 years (even though you're restricted to use their straps).

I've just heard them all over and over :lol:

I'm in the Schaller camp just because that's what was available when I started playing (and what some of my more recent guitars came with). The newer S-Locks basically solve all the problems mentioned above, so if you are not concerned about changing a screw on your guitar (and not being able to use regular straps), they work flawlessly.

Last edited:

foreright

Reaction score
I like the Dunlop recessed / flush mount strap locks and have used them on pretty much all my builds as they aren't as ugly as most strap locks. Not sure how I'd feel about drilling 10mm holes into a finished expensive guitar though :)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
There's no best way.

I've tried them all.

Started with Dunlop. Looks nice, seems to work great... until it fails and your guitar unexpectedly eats it. I guess 15 years is fine, but 16 years is too long to rely on them. :shrug:

Next - Schaller. Kind of cumbersome and a bit large for my taste. Once Planet Locks were available, I switched to those. But then the company was bought out and now it's something else... whatever, still a better strap and a decent idea. Never had trouble with them.

I've tried the Dimarzio system. It's not really a hassle, but meh.

I've done a couple setups with a fricken nylon tiedown ratchet strap bolted into the guitar. It works and it looks... punk rock, but if the threads every work loose, the entire guitar will be looking pretty punk rock to match.

I guess what I'm saying is just do whatever matches your style.

Matt08642

Reaction score
I put DiMarzio ClipLocks on most of my guitars, but the one I have with a satin finish got Schaller S-Locks because they sit off the body and don't make contact with any of the finish.

sleewell

Reaction score
rubber washers failed me at a gig so never again on those. just be careful if you had an odd shaped guitar. i was using a RD shape guitar and somehow the strap got around the horn and snapped the strap off while i was going nuts. was really embarrassing, guitar hit the ground and was really out of tune so i had to grab my back up mid song. with a regular shape guitar and less spazzing around on stage they probably work fine.

i like the straps with the built in locking systems but who really knows, maybe the same thing would have happened.

Latest posts