Best Thrash in a pedal?

• Thread starter Bentaycanada
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
What’s the best thrash tone in a pedal?

I personally view that old school Marshall JCM800 sound as the pinnacle of thrash tones.
Interms of Marshall in a box, ive heard great things about the little Mooer UK Gold 900 OR Tone City Golden Plexi

preview.jpg

71674-tmp6DA6.jpg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Try a fuzzrocious demon.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
redstuff 1987- nails that classic mid 80s Mark sound.

mooer 018- pretty damn good at old school thrashy stuff ime.

I know you had the sandman pedal . I think that did a pretty solid job of nailing old school thrash tones.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Tight Metal Pro or ISP Theta is the direction I'd go for a thrash sound. Both have built in boosts, gates, and flexible EQs to nail about any tone you want. Hell, the Tight Metal Pro has a thrash switch built in.

McBrain

Reaction score
If you are looking for at preamp to use with a poweramp/cab or IR's then definitely the KSR Ceres.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I personally view that old school Marshall JCM800 sound as the pinnacle of thrash tones.
Interms of Marshall in a box, ive heard great things about the little Mooer UK Gold 900 OR Tone City Golden Plexi

preview.jpg

71674-tmp6DA6.jpg

These are top of my list atm! So good call!

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
The rig I leave at our practice space is Line 6 Spider 240 MkII which sounds like absolute garbage (I took it as part of a trade). I run the Ceres into the front end with the Spider set up as a power amp and it is truly amazing how great it sounds. Every knob and switch is useful. It would be nice if it had some of the I/O the Victory V4 series has but it absolutely keeps me from having to lug my amp heads and cabs to practice and I still don't feel like I'm missing anything.

edit: I forgot to add in the relevance of the Ceres to your question. All of your Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth tones can be dialed in pretty easily.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So basically all the stuff that’s good for modern tight metal too :lol:

He wasn't too specific about which era of thrash. :lol: Plus I like the Ceres because it covers a shit ton of ground. Sounds like an amp already boosted to the gills.

As said above, the Theta can sound really thrashy too if set right. If you can figure out how the preamp works, it gets tight and heavy as shit.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Get something that's good for modern metal and set the eq knobs backwards to everybody else's settings. Done. :yesway:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Not technically a pedal, but a very cheap thrill would be the Hotone Heart Attack.

And yes, the ISP Theta does thrash exceptionally well.

I could honestly recommend that pedal for any genre of metal, though. It’s highly tweakable. The second video is actually mine from 5 years ago, admittedly looks like it was filmed with a potato but it does show how the tone sounds in the room pretty well. It was dialed in more in the death metal realm at the time.

Last edited:

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Not technically a pedal, but a very cheap thrill would be the Hotone Heart Attack.

And yes, the ISP Theta does thrash exceptionally well.

I could honestly recommend that pedal for any genre of metal, though. It’s highly tweakable. The second video is actually mine from 5 years ago, admittedly looks like it was filmed with a potato but it does show how the tone sounds in the room pretty well. It was dialed in more in the death metal realm at the time.

Nice, I had the Theta in 2016, it was REALLY impressive, I think it’s still in my top 5 preamp pedals.