Best Tube Screamer: What's your favorite ?

What's the best version of the Ibanez Tube Screamer?

• TS9

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • TS808

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • TS Mini

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Recently got a new rig (PRS MT 15 w/ PRS Stealth 2x12 - V30 and Greenback), and I'm looking to add a tube Screamer to the board to complete it. Honestly, I don't think it needs it! But, I figured it'd be good to have to push the rig here and there.

So, what's your favorite version of the Ibanez Tube Screamer and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I have 20 or so... and I can safely say... all of them.

Anyone that has more than just a single tone control knob, unless it's tuned like a 33.

You only want Ibanez/Maxon models or any clone?

efiltsohg

Reaction score
the ibanez ones are all basically identical if you are using them for boosting

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Of the listed, TS9, because it's the same pedal as the 808 but much cheaper.

The real answer is Ghoul Screamer set to Compression 2, Body switch on.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I've found that the full-sized Ibby TSers sound better than the mini ones. That said, I like the SD-1 better than any of the Ibby TSers. For me, it just feels less "hollow" sounding than a ts, if that makes any sense.

The Seymour Duncan 805 sounds pretty good on the various YT demo vids out there. Might be something for the OP to also consider?

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I am a huge proponent for the SD1, I like what it brings to the table more.
I have been toying with a fulltone fulldrive 2, which is basically a TS with an additional boost stage. It doesn't quite make the mids as aggressive as a TS9, but is close and has more tone shaping options than the TS.

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Woah! I guess I never realized how popular other overdrives were even compared to the Ibanez models.

So, I would be looking to mostly use it as a boost to bring just a little more tightness to my tone. I would image that my drive knob would usually stay very low because my rig already has an insane amount of gain. Also, just for reference, I play mostly metalcore (i.e. Invent Animate, Architects, This or the Apocalypse, August Burns Red, etc.).

Does this change anyone's response?

Bearitone

Reaction score
Woah! I guess I never realized how popular other overdrives were even compared to the Ibanez models.

So, I would be looking to mostly use it as a boost to bring just a little more tightness to my tone. I would image that my drive knob would usually stay very low because my rig already has an insane amount of gain. Also, just for reference, I play mostly metalcore (i.e. Invent Animate, Architects, This or the Apocalypse, August Burns Red, etc.).

My vote is for a Maxon OD808 or 808x. The 808x is my personal favorite. I feel like it’s the only OD that boosts the mids in the right spot for my taste.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score

Do you wnat that distinctive ts mid hump, or do you just want to boost what you already got? If you just want to boost then consider getting a clean boost type of pedal.

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you wnat that distinctive ts mid hump, or do you just want to boost what you already got? If you just want to boost then consider getting a clean boost type of pedal.
Good question. I guess the mid bump? I've honestly never used an OD pedal. I've always relied on the gain from the amp. However, I recently came across the Tube Screamer because apparently a lot of metal guys use it in front of the amp to tighten up when chugging.

Mike_R

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan 805. I know it isn't on your poll, but IMO it does anything a regular TS does and then some. I can dial it to essentially match my Ibanez TS but then it has an active 3 band EQ with a bunch of boost and cut instead of a single tone knob.

etohk

Reaction score
I run it in the pretty standard way with the gain at zero, volume full and tone about 55%. I am curious to try other boosts with it though.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Good question. I guess the mid bump? I've honestly never used an OD pedal. I've always relied on the gain from the amp. However, I recently came across the Tube Screamer because apparently a lot of metal guys use it in front of the amp to tighten up when chugging.
If you're using a 6 string then something like a ts or variant thereof will be just the ticket to tighten your tone up. If you're using a 7 or an 8 then try a Fortin Grind or a 33.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
Oooo...now this is intriguing. Do tell more!
TS clone

The overdrive in front of a high gain amp isn't really to drive it, well not entirely. The TS and all other circuits based on it or similarly to it are all changing EQ values. The TS cuts bass, and adds low mids - thus the tightening effect that is desired. I prefer the sounds that the SD1 provides, but it is basically a shift in how much bass is cut and higher mid frequency. It adds a bite that I really like in my tone.

The TS is a venerable circuit, it has been modded and cloned, and repackaged thousands of times. Basically what you've asked with your question is which flavor ice cream we all like.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Another boost thread? Never heard of them.