Betcha Can't Play This

• Thread starter ThePIGI King
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
He was in this little known band called Megadeth. Give them a listen.
I saw them live once, true story. I was 20 years old. Some skinheads (the nazi kind) mistook me for a good ol' yt boi and made me part of their pit crew. I gracefully allowed myself to be swept away to an area of the pit occupied by regular, non-nazi neckbeards. Also, MegaDave stopped the show to yell at the security guys for... idk what. Existing, I guess.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I remember this exact video.

Another buddy of mine did a couple of these vids and I think he caught a bunch of shit in the comments.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood gearwhore
Reaction score
Anyone remember this?

I was digging through my saved guitar Youtube videos and saw this. I had forgotten how old the video is and how crazy that is.

I never really listened to any bands Chris was in...did he never make a shred solo album??

You never listened to Nevermore? Megadeth? Jag Panzer? (understandable on the last one)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
In hindsight, this sounds like a more convoluted way of doing Michael Romeo's

Moongrum

Reaction score
I remember as a teenager playing Mark Morton's Betcha Can't Play This thinking I had arrived as a guitarist, even though Mark Morton specifically said he thought most people could play it.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Anyone remember this?

I was digging through my saved guitar Youtube videos and saw this. I had forgotten how old the video is and how crazy that is.

I never really listened to any bands Chris was in...did he never make a shred solo album??

Yeah, Chris Broderick's Chaos Theory articles/Youtube videos from Guitar World magazine. They (Guitar World magazine) transcribed all of his lessons/guitar playthroughs and it was fun to play. Difficult but also fun. Chris never released a shred solo album but he did form Act of Defiance after he left Megadeth. Chris was the only guitar player in that band so he, IMHO, was able to showcase his guitar skills without any restrictions.

Here's a 2018 Youtube compilaton video of him playing some of his solos from Act of Defiance.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw them live once, true story. I was 20 years old. Some skinheads (the nazi kind) mistook me for a good ol' yt boi and made me part of their pit crew. I gracefully allowed myself to be swept away to an area of the pit occupied by regular, non-nazi neckbeards. Also, MegaDave stopped the show to yell at the security guys for... idk what. Existing, I guess.

Fun fact. DrewH was also at that show.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
You never listened to Nevermore? Megadeth? Jag Panzer? (understandable on the last one)
So I actually never cared much for Megadeth outside a few songs. I actually know Jag Panzer because Phil Togus wore a shirt in a playthrough he did. And i didnt know he was in Nevermore.

None of those bands I listen to much at all. I meant in the OP did he do a solo album or instrumental album with someone else.

neurosis

Reaction score
So I actually never cared much for Megadeth outside a few songs. I actually know Jag Panzer because Phil Togus wore a shirt in a playthrough he did. And i didnt know he was in Nevermore.

None of those bands I listen to much at all. I meant in the OP did he do a solo album or instrumental album with someone else.
Off topic. How do you save old videos like that? I have to constantly go add old things back to my playlists as they get removed.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off topic. How do you save old videos like that? I have to constantly go add old things back to my playlists as they get removed.
It's been in my "watch later" for years. I assume the videos that you have to re-add have been taken down by the uploader or youtube and then re-uploaded.

neurosis

Reaction score
It's been in my "watch later" for years. I assume the videos that you have to re-add have been taken down by the uploader or youtube and then re-uploaded.
I wondered if it was something like that, although many removals happen on my Videoclip list which I keep for art reference so I was hoping there would be a workaround. Thanks for confirming. I thought I was imagining things.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Some of those were pretty funny because they were really bad, but Chris's one is the one I always remember. Never bothered to even try to learn it though :lol:

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I learnt the first shape
Then learning the second shape would have erased the first one, because I can't manage to remember the solos I study...not even from Iron Maiden

I think I remember G'n'R "Don't Cry", Skid Row "18 and Life", Megadeth "Tornado Of Souls" and "Symphony Of Destruction", Testament "The Electric Crown", Dream Theater "Pull Me Under" and "Under A Glass Moon" and the first 2-3 minutes of Cacophony "Concerto" and Yngwie "Far Away From The Sun"...
Basically stuff I learnt before I was 20 that I still rememeber...stuff that I learn now fail to stick in my brain

Latest posts