Better hope you never have an issue with your ESP guitar

• Thread starter Sacha
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
I tried smoothing it down with a card and it started flaking right off, maybe it has a beautiful natural stain hidden underneath? fml

View attachment 139681

Air bubbles with vinyl wraps are not uncommon. For large air bubbles, the method to treat is to use heat:

How to Remove Vinyl Wrap Bubbles with a Heat Gun

A heat gun is a better option if your vinyl wrap has larger air bubbles. Here's how to remove air bubbles from vinyl wrap with a heat gun:

1. Clean the area around the air bubble with mild detergent and water.
  2. Use a heat gun to warm the vinyl wrap around the air bubble. Be careful not to overheat the vinyl, as this can cause it to shrink or melt.
  3. Once the vinyl is warm, press the vinyl down with your fingers or a squeegee.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Sucks that it happened, but if I paid four grand for a guitar (never would, and this is part of why) and there was a problem I wasn't sure how to handle, I'd have taken it somewhere to let someone handle it who knew what they were doing.

Good luck, dude. I guess take the rest of it off and either work with the finish under there or have someone airbrush it.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Big yikes. I'd expect it on an import Jackson but not this. Every time I think I want to take the plunge on a very expensive guitar expecting it to be the best, I see something like this and crawl back to my imports which are also chunks of wood with strings. :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thesius

Reaction score
Can you return it and buy the other two on digimart that are half the price?

Edit: Just saw you tried to get the bubble out. God damn sorry to see that man

Last edited:

RRD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a serious bummer, and I'd be pretty pissed that the finish flakes like that after attempting to fix.

I have a limited series ESP USA that's showing signs of localized clear coat delamination that I'm pretty annoyed and bummed about. I looked into any correction short of actually contacting ESP and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't correct it, best case the would take it back and offer a similar model (which now costs like 30% more, which I would be on the hook for covering the spread) and I would be out the limited part of it.

Edika

Reaction score
From the first pic, I thought the lines were clear coat cracks and noticed the swelling after the second photo with the flake. That sucks man, it looks too detailed to be painted but I would never expect a vinyl wrap on such an expensive instrument. It's a shocking to hear ESP basically telling to go f yourself but I'm guessing it's location and time passed since purchase.
I never understood what those limited warranties cover, as every issue arising can be attributed to user error. Probably the speed which the issue arises since purchase plays a role? As things are It's a refinish for sure, now if ESP can be shamed to so remains to be seen! Hopefully it works out for you!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sucks to see but I don't know of any company who is going to do a commendable job with warranty stuff on their budget lines, especially when it's not a widespread issue, when the guitar is out exposed to different environments. Man, my Parker Koa fly clearcoat kind of delaminated and fogged up underneath. That's going to cost me something huge whenever I get around to getting the clearcoat redone. Of course Washburn wouldn't do shit about it. And that was basically the highest end guitar they ever made.

Only thing I could possibly happening is trying to get in touch with one of the ESP USA painters, and maybe be able to get a galaxy finish put on it that would be implemented better, and look better, and maybe they could find a way to do it pro-bono or at discount given the situation.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There was another one of these on Reverb with the finish lifted and cracked in the same way. I’d bet this is a known problem, and ESP is actively trying to dodge it.

I think you should post this all over social media and tag them. There is a solution here where they can do something to help out. Maybe it’s not a refinish or a new guitar, but something.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Wow...that is crazy! Sorry this happened to you. Maybe i missed it, are you talking about ESP USA or Japan?

I have an ESP Custom Shop Toshihiko Takamizawa Flying A (1 of 3). The sparkle finish I found out a couple years back must be some kind of vinyl top.

It has a similar bubbling between the humbuckers, only its about 1/8" wide and 1" inch long. I can easily just push it back down with my finger and it stay down for a time. It will eventually raise up again, but not sure how long it takes since it just sits in its case. I need check it again, it's been a couple years...

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Tbh I wouldn't even bother trying to repair that. Send that shit back for a refund.