Beware of Blackouts Metal

• Thread starter blackrobedone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blackrobedone

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wanted to give everyone a fair warning to save their money if they were thinking about trying a Blackouts Metal 6 string pickup for bridge. They should bill this thing as a Metal Zone pedal in a pickup. It sounds so nasally it's ridiculous. If you are only playing power chords it might work. However anything past the D string sounds like it's played through a cheap distortion pedal with the mids all the way up. The clip for extra gain is ridiculous as well and adds tons of noise to the sound. It's useless.

I installed it in an SG Supreme and played through a Marshall SLX and Rivera K Tre and a Bogner Alchemist and it sounded like anus through all 3. I put an EMG 85 in it this morning and breathed a sigh of relief.

Listen to me now and believe me later . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
aren't these the former 'livewire' pickups made for dave mustaine? your description would even suit his tone :lol:

blackrobedone

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I think the only guy it says who uses these is the guy from Dark Funeral. That's about all you'll get out of it. Possibly good for a wash of black metal fury, but not much else.

frank falbo

Reaction score
These are Blackouts version of the Livewires Heavy Metal, which required 18 volts and 100k pots. We are very clear about that in our literature. They sound basically the same. I had to release a Blackouts version of the Livewires Heavy Metal because it was the most popular of the Livewires, and has a cult following. I couldn't just pull it from the line and not replace it. So now anyone who wants that sound can have it with quick connection plugs, 25k pots, and 9 volts. I'm sorry if it's not the sound you were looking for, but hey that's what the 21-day exchange is for, right?

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
It's not a bad pickup, if you don't already boost your amp with an overdrive. The huge mid hump has the same effect as a TS9, IMO.

If you don't like the sound of your amp boosted, or like a particular overdrive, this is definitely not the pickup for you.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
To be fair, the Livewire Heavy Metal does a fairly good job in my DK2, even through the XT Live it can be made to sound quite thick and articulate, you just have to allow for the added gain and the Mid/Upper Mid spike in your EQing. Yeah, there are better pickups out there, but I think you're being a bit harsh on it.

Just my 2c

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
These are Blackouts version of the Livewires Heavy Metal, which required 18 volts and 100k pots. We are very clear about that in our literature. They sound basically the same. I had to release a Blackouts version of the Livewires Heavy Metal because it was the most popular of the Livewires, and has a cult following. I couldn't just pull it from the line and not replace it. So now anyone who wants that sound can have it with quick connection plugs, 25k pots, and 9 volts. I'm sorry if it's not the sound you were looking for, but hey that's what the 21-day exchange is for, right?

I think the issue is that tons of people are confusing these pups with regular blackouts. they see "blackouts", which is highly recommended as an EMG alternative, then they see "metal", hell, they play metal, must be a match made in heaven? lol.

Maybe if they were called "Blackouts: Livewire HM", that would make it more clear. I've had to explain this to a few people on different forums that were upset and didn't understand why their pups didn't sound like everyone else or any of the clips they've heard.

Rashputin

Reaction score
I installed it in an SG Supreme and played through a Marshall SLX and Rivera K Tre and a Bogner Alchemist and it sounded like anus through all 3. I put an EMG 85 in it this morning and breathed a sigh of relief.

Listen to me now and believe me later . . .

:partyhat::lol:

blackrobedone

Reaction score
Nothing against Seymour Duncan or anything. Actually, I am going to exchange it for the regular blackout so I do appreciate their policy.

I agree that it is like an overdrive pedal inside your guitar - just one that overpowers the sound of your amp and one that you can't adjust.

I actually recorded with it so there may be some sound clips coming if I decide to leave the tracks. My band has recorded a song for a Dissection tribute album and it may or may not work for the style - I'll have to wait for the re-amping and mixing stage.

Thanks bros.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Maybe if they were called "Blackouts: Livewire HM", that would make it more clear.

+1 to this, I haven't tried the Blackout Metals yet, but I would have expected them to be more like Blackouts, not like Livewires.

Also, I can attest to Livewires sounding like anus, IMHO. They were one of the worst, most nasally, brittle sounding pickups I've ever played, while still having stupidly high output. Imagine taking a 10-band EQ, pushing the first 8 or 9 sliders all the way down, and the last one(s) (the highest freqs) all the way up, and then pushing the level all the way up, and you'll have an idea of what it was like (actually, after typing this, I'm thinking they'd probably be perfect for old school Black Metal tone... or Dave Mustaine).

I played them in either a Dean or a Washburn that my local store had a while ago, and positively hated them. I would take any model Duncan Designed pickup over those any day.

Hamatha

Reaction score
Hey guys, when I jerk off I sweep the shaft like a guitar neck
Edit: My friend is a penis face, and about Blackouts Metal you were a bit harsh Bro. They might be to middy for you, but for people like me who like mids WAY to much it could be awesome.

Last edited: