Big cabinets going out of style? (New cab day)

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Are big cabs a dying luxury?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Are big cabs a dying luxury?
Or “are roadies more or less affordable in 2023?”

Running my twin and 2203 at the same time was so damn glorious yet we ran a/b anyway :lol:

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I went from a 4x12 to 2x12 to 8x10 and back to 2x12. I think the larger cabs are overkill at this point. Any place that doesn't mic you is probably small.

That's where I'm at, too. 2x12 is a really good general purpose speaker cab configuration -- can get pretty loud with a decent amount of range, while not being overly large to move and store.

nyarlathotim

Reaction score
I wouldn't say they're a luxury, they're just inconvenient and perhaps unnecessary in many situations, assuming your cab isn't integral to the tone you want.

For guitar: my 4x12s never leave my house any more. At some point I went to a 2x12. But when I started using a Helix, I eventually just got one of those little 8" Headrush FRFR powered speakers. So much more convenient than dealing with the cabs (and heads). And of course the venue is going to take a DI line, which some sound guys seem to prefer.

For bass: My 4x12s were bad enough but the 4x10 I have is just misery to transport. So similarly, I started using a Helix, a 12" Headrush FRFR and a high-pass from the Helix to the Headrush. The full signal was too much for the Headrush and it would smell like melting electronics. Anyway the venues are going to take the full DI signal and put it through their PA, so we're not relying on the Headrush for volume, just for me to be able to hear it.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
When I asked Avatar if they were going to have 412 cabs again, they said they dont sell them anymore because "No one wants 412 cabs these days".

Yea, no one wants to buy a new 4x12, especially not one from Avatar.

gnoll

Reaction score
The future of guitar is a cheap modeler through a 1x10 with the tone knob rolled down. Sounds just as good! Tone is in the fingers! No wait, in the balls? Well it's sure as fuck not in the gear.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
I’ve got seven 4x12 cabs that I rotate around between home and my jam space. Each one sounds different, even with the same speakers loaded in them. I bought an empty 2x12 to make lugging equipment around easier, hated it. No matter what I put in it sounded way worse than the 4x12’s at any volume. Big boy cabs ftw!