BKP equivalent of Duncan's Alpha/Omega?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that surprised myself also... I loved the CS in the bridge while I had it.

Why is it surprising? It just proves that everyone's taste is different. I've gone through 3 sets of BKPs already whereas SD sets always stay as soon as they land on the guitar. It depends on the sounds you're after.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

potatohead

Reaction score
Why is it surprising? It just proves that everyone's taste is different. I've gone through 3 sets of BKPs already whereas SD sets always stay as soon as they land on the guitar. It depends on the sounds you're after.

Everyone's taste is different, absolutely. But to say it should never be used is a bold statement.

Zhysick

Reaction score

Everyone's taste is different, absolutely. But to say it should never be used is a bold statement.

As said by @potatohead. Surprised because I can't find anything so bad about the pickup to say such a thing. I mean, it's not a C-Bomb... :lol: (yeah, the C-Bomb is the one I think it should never be used :lol:)

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
As said by @potatohead. Surprised because I can't find anything so bad about the pickup to say such a thing. I mean, it's not a C-Bomb... :lol: (yeah, the C-Bomb is the one I think it should never be used :lol:)

TBH the only pickups I've ever played that felt like unuseable garbage were the 90's "Duncan Designed" pickups.

Zhysick

Reaction score
TBH the only pickups I've ever played that felt like unuseable garbage were the 90's "Duncan Designed" pickups.

:lol: I think the HB103 is a really nice pickup actually! The bridge and even the neck one :lol: But the 101 or 102 aren't nice...

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: I think the HB103 is a really nice pickup actually! The bridge and even the neck one :lol: But the 101 or 102 aren't nice...

Dunno which ones they were. I just know they sounded horrible :lol:

moonbox

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I try not to speak about the Nailbomb because I seem to be on the minority because most of the people love that pickup but I hate it. Loose bottom end and shrill high end. Just impossible to EQ it right because if you try to tame the high end the overall sound just becomes mud paradise and if you try to brighten up the lows then he highs pierce your timpani.

But whatever...

Be aware of the shrill high end.

Do you recommend any alternatives?

Zhysick

Reaction score
Do you recommend any alternatives?

Not really, I have never tried the Alpha, or the Omega, I don't even know which one is the bridge pickup, but if you think the C-Bomb is kinda similar but just a bit harsher you could try the A-Bomb, the alnico magnet "should" roll of some of that high end, making it a bit sweeter.

Reinholderx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Like someone above mentioned, if you contact Bareknuckle they are quite helpful and quick to respond in my experience. FWIW I have the Holcomb SE with the Alpha/Omega set and a PRSCU24 with BKP Juggernauts. I prefer the Juggernauts personally but it's probably personal preference. I also whacked a set of Juggs in a 7string and like them in that also. I don't know how to describe the difference they made other than to me it sounded like I'd been playing with a blanket over my speaker cab and the juggernauts took the blanket off.
I have a silo set I'm wanting to try too once i get a chance.

jasperdunn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know I’m super late to the party, I currently have Aftermaths in one guitar and C-bombs in another. Compared to C-bombs, Aftermaths are beefy in the bottom end, and less shrill in the top. C-bombs may cut through and sound clearer in a mix.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Honestly, the black dog bridge has the closest snarl to the snarl of the Omega bridge. Nothing else in BKP's lineup really comes close imo. The painkiller is too icepicky and upper mid focused, warpig is too big and chunky on the low end, juggernaut has that weird cocked wah vocal midrange, holy diver is too tame (though still awesome), blackhawk is more growly than snarly (plus they're higher output).

As far as neck pickups I honestly don't even remember what the alpha sounds like so I'd say just go with a cold sweat neck. It's one of the best neck pickups for lead/shred wankery out there. Like a liquifire but clearer and still just as buttery smooth.

I would say if you want a pretty balanced tone go with impulses but I don't know if they're doing those in slanted variants yet.

I think lots of people sleep on the black dog bridge (but I am becoming increasingly A5 PAF-pilled)

Latest posts