BLIND TEST! Guess the amp!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'll be doing a series of blind tests where you can guess which (or what type of) amplifier I used in the clip. I think it's 1 simply a lot of fun. And 2 it's interesting to see how people's ears work when they don't have any visual reference of what they're hearing. Maybe in a sense this can be 'ear opening' in some ways. Perhaps some of us will find out that we like amps that we thought we didn't like the sound of after all. Revelations like that would be cool but who knows....

So I'm very curious to know what you guys think of this first one. It would be very impressive indeed if anyone guessed this exactly right, so it's OK to be wrong. But your observations about the tone could be helpful too. So to describe what you're hearing and what you think it sounds like.

So here we go, good luck and have fun:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
A grindy crunch with a little flub and dash of smoothed sear. - I'll guess it's an Orange Rockerverb going through an Ownhammer IR of v'30's and sm57. I have no basis for that other than my imagination and feelings.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I dunno what, if any, processing was done, but it's not hitting any familiar notes for me. (I assume it's a cab sim at least.) I'm most familiar with Mesa stuff, and it doesn't sound like that to me. It also doesn't sound like what I think of as Marshall-y - but closer to that maybe? I was also going to guess Orange, before I saw I got ninja'd a bunch of times on that guess.

It's not enough wub-wub for a recto. It's not enough bark for a Mark. It's not enough crunchy dryness for a Marshall. It's not enough chainsaw for a 5150-type thing. My ears aren't good enough at picking out tones to have a better guess than that.

It's not a bad tone, but I find it pretty generic sounding. It's not very exciting, so to speak.

jarledge

Reaction score
I feel like it is something more in the marshall-y style. I also thought Orange but I am going to go out on a limb and say it is something a little more out there like a Rivera Knucklehead tre. There is a little more mid shaping and control in addition to the thicker sounding lowend which makes me think it might not be an orange.

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
I used to have a micro terror and it really reminds me of that. I know a few said orange and a few said solid state, even before I read where you said mini amp my first thought was micro terror.

laxu

Reaction score
I want to say it's something fairly low power in the 15-20W range. It's not my favorite tone from what you have gotten. I wanted to say it's that H&K amp you have but you have gotten way better tones out of that one.

So I guess it's either the Bogner Mini Ecstacy or some small Orange.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
My first guess would be an Orange amp. It's got that raunchy tone going on.