Blown Resistors = Dead Amp?

SilenceIsACrime

Indeed.
Reaction score
Alright, so this post is to try and help out a buddy of mine who is having some serious amp troubles (a three year old EVH 5150 iii). Hopefully I get the story right because I am just going off of what he told me last night....

So yesterday he was warming up to practice with his band (if you're into post-hardcore stuff check out Come Home Geoffrey from Reno, NV) and everything seemed to be in fine working order. I believe he said he played for like 20 minutes or so before turning everything down to wait for everyone else to get ready. When he turned back up and the like, his amp started literally smoking and he shut it off immediately. Soon after, he takes the amp into Guitar Center to have it looked at. The dude says that he blew two resistors and that, luckily, he had some random junker bass amp that he can cop them from to replace. After an hour the amp head is fixed, but the guy who did the repairs told him that "this can basically blow up anytime now and will not be worth the cost to fix it - your best bet is to trade it in tomorrow and get something new."

So I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys: is this true? Would it be more worthwhile for him to just trade it in/sell it and then buy a whole new amp, or would it be easier to just fix/keep fixing the amp the next time it happens?

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say, thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Alright, so this post is to try and help out a buddy of mine who is having some serious amp troubles (a three year old EVH 5150 iii). Hopefully I get the story right because I am just going off of what he told me last night....

So yesterday he was warming up to practice with his band (if you're into post-hardcore stuff check out Come Home Geoffrey from Reno, NV) and everything seemed to be in fine working order. I believe he said he played for like 20 minutes or so before turning everything down to wait for everyone else to get ready. When he turned back up and the like, his amp started literally smoking and he shut it off immediately. Soon after, he takes the amp into Guitar Center to have it looked at. The dude says that he blew two resistors and that, luckily, he had some random junker bass amp that he can cop them from to replace. After an hour the amp head is fixed, but the guy who did the repairs told him that "this can basically blow up anytime now and will not be worth the cost to fix it - your best bet is to trade it in tomorrow and get something new."

So I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys: is this true? Would it be more worthwhile for him to just trade it in/sell it and then buy a whole new amp, or would it be easier to just fix/keep fixing the amp the next time it happens?

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say, thanks!

I dont know if would trade it in, buy better resistors and try. And of course GC would tell him to trade it in, they wont give him shit for it because its 'broken' and they will try to sell him another 2k amp when he already has one :wallbash:

i would take it to a legit amp tech :2c:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
IF resistors went, there is likely some other problem with the amp going on. The tech probably just replaced the resistors, you need a real one. Resistors don't just decide to burst into flame without reason.

Latest posts