Blu Guitar Amp-X

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
Ahhh that’s pretty cool. Didn’t realize you could plug right into a cab with it. I guess it’s not fair to compare the two. I had the Axe 3 and I agree on the amount of menus and options got a little too much. Had the 2 and loved that so who knows. I’m back to tube amps regardless. The Amp X does seem like a cool unit, wish we had some proper demos. Also I like the Mark IV knobs on there for tweaking the amp.
I'd honestly buy the Amp 1 power section alone if they made a separate unit out of it. It's great.

I think we will see more demos later in the year as it gets more fleshed out. NAMM unit seems a bit like "this is held together with bubblegum and sticks" level stuff where it works but can't do all the things promised yet. But that's pretty normal for trade shows regardless of industry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I'd honestly buy the Amp 1 power section alone if they made a separate unit out of it. It's great.

I think we will see more demos later in the year as it gets more fleshed out. NAMM unit seems a bit like "this is held together with bubblegum and sticks" level stuff where it works but can't do all the things promised yet. But that's pretty normal for trade shows regardless of industry.
It's not like anyone can do a proper demo in NAMM, it seems, because it's so busy and noisy.

4Eyes

Reaction score
I'd say that 2k is rather brave pricing.. especially with user interface which looks like at least 20years old, now. They also need to hire a sales representative, no offense to Thomas Blug, I see he is passionate about the project and he trusts his technology, but he can't sell it. what should turn potential buyer from other solutions (either going full digital or some can include real tube amp) into Amp-X?

laxu

Reaction score
I'd say that 2k is rather brave pricing.. especially with user interface which looks like at least 20years old, now. They also need to hire a sales representative, no offense to Thomas Blug, I see he is passionate about the project and he trusts his technology, but he can't sell it. what should turn potential buyer from other solutions (either going full digital or some can include real tube amp) into Amp-X?
I think Thomas sells it very well. He's likeable and a great player and knows how to get good results out of it. The few Amp X videos haven't been the best though. In their own preview he seems pretty jet lagged and they have probably worked late nights to make it all work.

The Amp 1 and Amp X are built as live tools first and foremost so their feature sets are to make those situations as friction free as possible. Even the most compact tube amps will be less versatile, more noisy, higher weight and certainly not 100W. You could cram the Amp X into a carryon bag and travel the world without needing anything but a cab provided/rented.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
$2k puts it in line with a Helix or Fractal, and it arguably has similar overall capabilities at the outset.

Don't underestimate Blug's name recognition.

laxu

Reaction score
I think Helix or FM9 is not the appropriate comparison as it's not meant to compete with those in the first place.

The Amp X to me is a highly configurable analog 4 channel amp with analog and digital effects. You probably cannot even use it as an fx only box. For 2K euros you can't buy anything as versatile on the amp market.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
How do you owners out there like the nano tube in combination with the class-d power going on in comparison to actual tube amp feel, break up etc.?

I find class-d an odd choice, not for power, weight etc, but because the way it pumps at louder volumes is quite unsavory ime. It smacks your ear a certain way and can be harsh.
- I'm thinking the nano tube might solve the problem by smoothing out things, so the smack is now a smack of goodness instead. Anyone have experience with this and know what I'm saying? Any thoughts are appreciated.

-. The demos are sounding good. I haven't once thought it sounded bad. I can't wait another year. Guess we have to. $2k seems right to me though.

- I think this approch is most pragmatic compared to basically everything else other than a pedal board rig with nano amp maybe. That'd be cool / maybe better, too. To have it all in one and seperate products would be awesome. I think eventally everything leads to the pedal board platform. You gotta be able to foot contorl stuff or automate it somehow otherwise.

- Out of the 3 out there which is best for Boogie style chug metal? The Iridium from what I can tell, is that right? Can Iridium handle blues somewhat too anyways though?

laxu

Reaction score
How do you owners out there like the nano tube in combination with the class-d power going on in comparison to actual tube amp feel, break up etc.?

I find class-d an odd choice, not for power, weight etc, but because the way it pumps at louder volumes is quite unsavory ime. It smacks your ear a certain way and can be harsh.
- I'm thinking the nano tube might solve the problem by smoothing out things, so the smack is now a smack of goodness instead. Anyone have experience with this and know what I'm saying? Any thoughts are appreciated.

- Out of the 3 out there which is best for Boogie style chug metal? The Iridium from what I can tell, is that right? Can Iridium handle blues somewhat too anyways though?

I put the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition head to head against the Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead I had. Through the same cab, at stage volume, measured by decibel meter. I had an offer to buy the Bogner so I was testing if I want to sell it or not. I no longer have the Bogner. I could make the Amp 1 sound and feel very close if not identical. This was dialing the shared EQ for each channel and testing them individually. In actual use you would have to make some compromises for all channels to work well together.

So to me whatever they do with the nanotube in conjunction with the Class D poweramp, it works just great. I've also cranked the Amp 1 against the Bogner. The Amp 1 was louder, as it should be for 100W vs 45W.

The Mercury Edition at least likes darker speakers. I use mine with a 4x10 with Greenbacks. You can dial pretty much any Marshall-based tone out of it plus a Fender clean channel. What cab/speakers you use determines where the sounds lean.

The Iridium would be the better option for Mesa style tones. I think BluGuitar's YT channel even has a video where they match it to a boosted Dual Rectifier. Basically the Iridium can sound like a boosted Recto before you apply its own boost.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I put the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition head to head against the Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead I had. Through the same cab, at stage volume, measured by decibel meter. I had an offer to buy the Bogner so I was testing if I want to sell it or not. I no longer have the Bogner. I could make the Amp 1 sound and feel very close if not identical. This was dialing the shared EQ for each channel and testing them individually. In actual use you would have to make some compromises for all channels to work well together.

So to me whatever they do with the nanotube in conjunction with the Class D poweramp, it works just great. I've also cranked the Amp 1 against the Bogner. The Amp 1 was louder, as it should be for 100W vs 45W.

The Mercury Edition at least likes darker speakers. I use mine with a 4x10 with Greenbacks. You can dial pretty much any Marshall-based tone out of it plus a Fender clean channel. What cab/speakers you use determines where the sounds lean.

The Iridium would be the better option for Mesa style tones. I think BluGuitar's YT channel even has a video where they match it to a boosted Dual Rectifier. Basically the Iridium can sound like a boosted Recto before you apply its own boost.
This is very promising.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
FInally some real-life sounds! New SPJ video/interview with Thomas is up. It appears they're recording direct into an interface.

In case the time code link doesn't work, start the video around 10:10.

And maybe there are still some bugs to work out. Thomas starts fiddling with one of the parameter knobs while Sean is playing at 13:00 and it sounds like the signal cuts/glitches out. WIth the camera angle I can't tell what it is.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So this is how the slated effects chain works:
analog Wah > analog Boost > analog Drive > "Special" digital effects (apparently pitch shifting?) > Modulation > Delay > Reverb > (Amp) > Stereo modulation > Stereo Delay > Stereo Reverb > Cab sims
...this is actually perfect for me. :lol:

EDIT: Also, yep, sounds like an Amp1. This is good.

Last edited:

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
So this is how the slated effects chain works:
analog Wah > analog Boost > analog Drive > "Special" digital effects (apparently pitch shifting?) > Modulation > Delay > Reverb > (Amp) > Stereo modulation > Stereo Delay > Stereo Reverb > Cab sims
...this is actually perfect for me. :lol:

EDIT: Also, yep, sounds like an Amp1. This is good.
And a compressor slot in there too, I think before the boost?

If he does end up putting some pitch effects in there I will become a bit more interested/persuaded to switch over and maybe ditch the HX Stomp/Amp1 IE combo.

Though I think I may wait a while to see how the dust settles. I have a feeling it's gonna take a year or so to hit the sweet spot.

Last edited:

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
And there will be space for 99 effects in each slot. That should be ... sufficient.

laxu

Reaction score
If he does end up putting some pitch effects in there I will become a bit more interested/persuaded to switch over and maybe ditch the HX Stomp/Amp1 IE combo.

Though I think I may wait a while to see how the dust settles. I have a feeling it's gonna take a year or so to hit the sweet spot.
The NAMM unit is obviously got its own share of bugs and missing things that will go away as it gets closer to release and the firmware gets polished.

I agree about waiting to see what it will have at release and whether it makes sense over my Strymons + analog pedals + Amp 1 ME setup. I'm happy with how that sounds into my 4x10 with Greenbacks and the only thing I'd really like from the Amp X is the easily adjustable power drive, the cab sims and being able to setup separate settings for clean and each drive channel. But I have other tools on my board to shape the sound so it's not 100% necessary, more like nice to have.

Ultimately using real guitar cabs with this will have the same limitations as running any modeler into that kind of setup. The cab determines a huge portion of the overall sound and it's just not worth having tons of amps if you use the same cab with all of them.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
The NAMM unit is obviously got its own share of bugs and missing things that will go away as it gets closer to release and the firmware gets polished.

I agree about waiting to see what it will have at release and whether it makes sense over my Strymons + analog pedals + Amp 1 ME setup. I'm happy with how that sounds into my 4x10 with Greenbacks and the only thing I'd really like from the Amp X is the easily adjustable power drive, the cab sims and being able to setup separate settings for clean and each drive channel. But I have other tools on my board to shape the sound so it's not 100% necessary, more like nice to have.

Ultimately using real guitar cabs with this will have the same limitations as running any modeler into that kind of setup. The cab determines a huge portion of the overall sound and it's just not worth having tons of amps if you use the same cab with all of them.
I thought you were also using an HX Stomp with your Amp1 like me?

laxu

Reaction score
I thought you were also using an HX Stomp with your Amp1 like me?
Nah I've never owned the HX Stomp. I used the full Helix Floor with it but sold it and built a pedalboard around the Amp 1 instead. In hindsight the Helix + Amp 1 setup was more convenient.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I bought a HX Stomp XL in hopes of using it with an Amp1 in the future, but my unit seems to really hate running 4-cable method. Noisy-ass hiss when going into the input of the amp. Seems to be a common issue.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I bought a HX Stomp XL in hopes of using it with an Amp1 in the future, but my unit seems to really hate running 4-cable method. Noisy-ass hiss when going into the input of the amp. Seems to be a common issue.
Experiment with your input/output impedance settings for the loops on the Stomp XL and see if Instrument vs. Line Level works better. Some amps have really finicky effects loops for their input/output impedance. Usually Instrument level works best.

Finally, within the HX Stomp, you can add a noise gate to your input block without using a signal chain block. Then you can use the added noise gate on the Amp1 to clamp things down in the loop.

This is a good post to read about signal flow characteristics on the Helix. (Applies to the Stomp as well.)

Noise floor increase due to the introduction of Sends and Returns

When using the Helix sends and returns the noise floor can be increased. This is due to the number of A/D converters now used in the signal chain. Most of the increase is negligible. However, it can become more noticeable if the sends/returns are placed in front of a high gain amp model such as the PV Panama (Peavy 5150) due to its inherent high noise floor. This phenomenon occurs on the Pod HD series as well.

Last edited:

4Eyes

Reaction score
Ground loop? Some setups are pain to get right. I used Lehle P-Split in front of the amp to solve this when running Decimator G-string in the same way (4CM)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Ground loop? Some setups are pain to get right. I used Lehle P-Split in front of the amp to solve this when running Decimator G-string in the same way (4CM)
Nah, it's the nature of the Helix series apparently. It's not a hum, it's a hiss.