BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

• Thread starter laxu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lewis

Reaction score
You won't find a single guitar poweramp on the market that does not have some "color" to its poweramp. I have run modelers with full amp models through my Amp 1 Mercury's poweramp and they have sounded pretty great. I don't think it's perfectly neutral but good enough.

EDIT: Listened to your videos and I'm just not hearing what you hear. Those sound alright to me but to me you could get similar or better tones just using the Iridium's own preamps. I don't see a reason to insist on the Herbert pedal. Since it's just a phone mic that probably makes it sound vastly different from being in the room so maybe you hear something we don't.

Seems like you are running everything at very low volume since we can hear the strings on your guitar so clearly. Just try turning up the volume and see if that fixes your issue. If it does, you are simply dealing with too low volume and no amp sounds great like that. It's a compromise you have to make if you need to run at that low volume.

The powersoak feature in these is perfect for this. You can have the master cranked to get that perfect amp tube saturation and compression when the unit is really cooking - then using the powersoak via midi, turn the overal output to whatever volume you want, therefore having sweet cranked tube amp tones at bedroom volumes.

Its why I desperately want the BluGuitar midi adapter for mine.

lewis

Reaction score
as requested here is my WIP, unmixed, Amp1 Iridium demo. Only high/low pass on the guitars. Pickups are Fishman Moderns, which is why they are super HIFI/tight.
Bass is using Darkglass X7 Ultra

This is using the direct recording output, 3rd party IR straight into the interface. I did plug in a cable to the speaker output whilst tracking to trick the unit into thinking a Cab was connected so it activates the Nano tube and colours the recording out sound (it sounds loads loads better doing this, and is also louder a signal)

For some reason i accidentally used my very old, very dead soundcloud login by error so ignore that.

https://soundcloud.com/eridium/isolate-2021-update/s-OkFXPy13TFJ

@Backsnack incase you missed this heres my iridium recording

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
@Backsnack incase you missed this heres my iridium recording
I listened to it a few times on my way to work. Good song!

I want to listen again on my studio monitors at home. There’s definitely a “quack” to the tonality that I would personally dial back a couple of dB. Otherwise I tbink it sounded great, and nice playing and riffs too! I was a little curious about the low end response but then when you got to the bridge or middle section on the palm mutes it sounded pretty badass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Yeah. It sounds ok tbh. The preamp just needs a boost like what others have already said. Not all power amps are made the same. But also, not all preamps are made the same. Some just don't jive with each other.

lewis

Reaction score
I listened to it a few times on my way to work. Good song!

I want to listen again on my studio monitors at home. There’s definitely a “quack” to the tonality that I would personally dial back a couple of dB. Otherwise I tbink it sounded great, and nice playing and riffs too! I was a little curious about the low end response but then when you got to the bridge or middle section on the palm mutes it sounded pretty badass.
combination of those damn fishman moderns and the Boss SD1 model inside the HX effects i used to boost it i think haha
super snarl.

cheers though dude :D appreciate it
some of the riffs are hardwork haha

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score

This is going to be an interesting watch

Oh definitely! I usually don't have time to watch the entirety of those livestreams, they get a little long-winded! I'll probably wait until after it's done so I can skip through it a bit.

By the way, I read a review of the AMP1 IE on Thomann where someone said he had "constant background noise" that was noticeable at low volumes, and was one of the reasons why he returned it. Have you experienced a similar thing?

laxu

Reaction score
By the way, I read a review of the AMP1 IE on Thomann where someone said he had "constant background noise" that was noticeable at low volumes, and was one of the reasons why he returned it. Have you experienced a similar thing?

My Mercury Edition is pretty much dead silent. Of course adding a ton of gain will increase the amount of noise but that's entirely normal.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
My Mercury Edition is pretty much dead silent. Of course adding a ton of gain will increase the amount of noise but that's entirely normal.
Right, that’s obvious. He claims it’s the only amp that he’s used that’s had the problem.

He’s the only person I’ve seen write or say that about either Amp1 so I’ll chalk it up to a fluke or user error. Could have had a defective unit too.

lewis

Reaction score
Oh definitely! I usually don't have time to watch the entirety of those livestreams, they get a little long-winded! I'll probably wait until after it's done so I can skip through it a bit.

My Iridium is completely silent. These are often paired with HX FX units and early HX FX's had efx loop problems that lo and behold, were creating major efx loop noise for these units (Amp1's). Line 6 recalled stock and fixed all the issues.

Im half wondering if he had this pair, and wrongly diagnosed the problem as being with the Mercury and didnt think it could have been the HX FX instead?

But yeah ive never had noise
my Darkglass X Ultra pedal for my bass - now THAT creates noise. That XLR out is noisy as hell

lewis

Reaction score
Interesting little tone comparison in Keith Merrow's latest video. Featuring the Amp1 Iridium alongside the main stay full tube amps people are used to, and it holds its own no problem -

skip straight to 5:35 to hear the amp comparisons. Boss Tube Amp Expander vs Torpedo Studio

King Belial

Reaction score
Interesting little tone comparison in Keith Merrow's latest video. Featuring the Amp1 Iridium alongside the main stay full tube amps people are used to, and it holds its own no problem -

skip straight to 5:35 to hear the amp comparisons. Boss Tube Amp Expander vs Torpedo Studio

what i see... their giving a bunch of these amps away for endorsement purposes. having a crappy fl loop ruins it for me.

lewis

Reaction score
what i see... their giving a bunch of these amps away for endorsement purposes. having a crappy fl loop ruins it for me.

???

The dude in Keiths video is the owner - he bought it as far as im aware. nothing to do with endorsement.
also, I still dont understand how the Fx Loops are "crappy"?
mine literally works flawlessly.

laxu

Reaction score
???

The dude in Keiths video is the owner - he bought it as far as im aware. nothing to do with endorsement.

You can ignore him. He's salty he can't figure out how to get his Diezel Herbert pedal to work to his satisfaction apparently through a number of amps. There is nothing wrong with the fx loops on the BluGuitar amps. They both perfectly fine for both line and instrument level devices.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score

Maybe my perception is skewed because I'm a bit tired after just getting home from my workday, but ...

My takeaway is that the biggest difference in overall sound for that whole comparison is the loadbox/IR loaders: the Torpedo Studio and the Wazaa TAE. Sometimes the Wazaa sounded better with certain amps, but most of the time the Torpedo Studio sounded better. The Wazaa had an overly bright fizzy thing many times that I didn't like.

Each of the amps, including the Amp1 IE, sounded excellent. And like the guys said at the end, each of the amps had their own little subtle flavors. Clearly they know what they're doing when it comes to dialing in amps to get good metal tones.

lewis

Reaction score
Maybe my perception is skewed because I'm a bit tired after just getting home from my workday, but ...

My takeaway is that the biggest difference in overall sound for that whole comparison is the loadbox/IR loaders: the Torpedo Studio and the Wazaa TAE. Sometimes the Wazaa sounded better with certain amps, but most of the time the Torpedo Studio sounded better. The Wazaa had an overly bright fizzy thing many times that I didn't like.

Each of the amps, including the Amp1 IE, sounded excellent. And like the guys said at the end, each of the amps had their own little subtle flavors. Clearly they know what they're doing when it comes to dialing in amps to get good metal tones.
bingo!
it was a main comparison of said products :)
I also had the same opinion that for the most part, i prefered the Torpedo Studio over the Boss. That fizzy thing I dont like

The Iridium really can hang with the boy boys in tone.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
guyz why doesn't my $200 pedal sound like the $4000 amp it's named after???

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
guyz why doesn't my $200 pedal sound like the $4000 amp it's named after???
LOL

There are SOME companies that can make some legit amp tones *and feel* crammed into pedals: Origin Effects, KSR, BluGuitar. Victory Amps too, but those are effectively the preamp sections yanked out of their heads and put into rather large pedals and fed by tubes.

King Belial

Reaction score
???

but... your not running a high gain pream pedal or module through the fx loop. weve already been over this. when you do... let us know. we know youre a huge fan boy this company. very biased opinion. as ive also stated numberous times... this amp sounds good by itself. doesnt really need a boost

Status
Not open for further replies.