Boosting an ENGL!

• Thread starter Scoop_89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scoop_89

Reaction score
Allright. People say that certain boost doesn't work that well with ENGL amps, like the tubescreamer. So just to make it clear.

What is your experince with boosting ENGL amps? Tubescreamer or any other pedals, which one have you tried?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drummerboy7816

Drumitarist
Reaction score
Tried my LoC SD-1 in front of my Engl SE, made no difference what so ever (except add background hiss).. It was 100% essential with my VHT UL.

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
you'd have to ask joe that yourself i think, i dont really know the answer to either questions. all i know is it worked wonders for my tone as a boost

Scoop_89

Reaction score
Yeah, but I was thinking of just the "boosting ENGL" thing since there's people saying the don't like boosters and ENGL.

klutvott

Reaction score
Hmm. I have been using a ts7 with a powerball and my invader 100. I think they both work great with a tubescreamer infront

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Not found the most boosts to make THAT much of a difference to the Engls, at least the ones with mid boosts (then again the ones I've experimented most with are the ones with most mids anyway, the Invader and the Thunder).

However, I LOVE a treble booster in front, for leads it adds a VERY nice quality, where sustained notes tend to go into a pleasing feedback (Brian May style :D) and on rhythm it clears up the low end a bit for times you need that.

I guess it depends on which one you use, but I find Engl to be an amp that doesn't need boosting to "sort" the tone out.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I heard pretty much 0 difference with my TSovChaos in Hot (TS808) mode in front of Velocity's Powerball vs it off.

i'd say ENGL's dont need a boost - nothing really changes lol.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
With a clean boost, the Invader sounded like shite ahaha the bass got totally out of control and boomy. With a BBE Green Screamer I can back way down on the gain, get a tighter tone, and still have super brutality. Tightens up the lows and gives it a nice mid bump that sounds different than using the amp's EQ to do the same thing.
Isn't a necessary thing like using a boost in front of my Rectifier was but still adds a lot to the tone IMO

Scoop_89

Reaction score
I've heard some about the green screamer being good for ENGL's but I don't know much about them.

How many uses one here?

turmoil

l0rd of teh shr3d
Contributor
Reaction score
I heard pretty much 0 difference with my TSovChaos in Hot (TS808) mode in front of Velocity's Powerball vs it off.

i'd say ENGL's dont need a boost - nothing really changes lol.

Yeah, i'd agree with this statment 100%
I used the rackmount Bloody Murder in front of my Powerball and it really made no difference at all. The Powerball anyway is already super tight and has so much gain on tap that boosts really aren't going to make a world of difference like say they would to say a Rectifier or a JCM 800.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
there's pretty much zero difference with the Savage 120. Channel 4, at least the way i have it set, already reacts like it has a boost in front.

Loserchief

Rokuban Taicho
Reaction score
I found out that my Sovereign(imo a lot like a savage 120 but a 100W combo) doesn't need a boost. it's tight and gainy enough without it.

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
Boss GE7 infront.

+100

i took johns advice and it made the tone Soooo much tighter and focused for rythm playing. i just cut out the low bass a bit and add a bit of trble and mid and add a bit of level and Presto

tighter than an alterboy's anus

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
You guys really need to try the GE7 infront of the engls.

Makes a WORLD of difference to my Invader 100.

Cuts the fart, makes it djent more.

Latest posts