Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scordare

Reaction score
No, but I always wanted to!

When they first released the original Wurm I emailed KMA trying to see if they could make me a custom one with yellow eyes (leds) and led clipping and making so the leds only lit when guitar signal was passed through etc

I have the cool orange and black one! Just a heads up on the eq on the Wurm..the High Mids is equal to the H control on the HM-2. The Highs is a more like a presence and Low Mids is a mid control. I set the Low and High Mids like a normal HM-2, then add Low Mids to smooth things out, then add Highs to taste depending on how much gain you’re using. It’s a killer pedal..I haven’t really messed with the frequency centers because they sound great at 12 o’clock.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
It's real!
20210830-190242.jpg

olejason

Reaction score
Got this yesterday! Unfortunately won't get a shot at trying it until the weekend. See how it stacks up against the OG HM-2 mij for bass.

Interested in your thoughts on this one. Looks perfect for HM-2 tones on bass.

0rimus

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been dying to give it a run. Unfortunately my bass is under the knife right now and needed custom strings from Kalium. So I gotta wait a bit and revisit the OG hm-2 rig so the comparison is fair.

Good news is I also bought an HM-2W lol. Got the tracking # but no estimated ship date.

Most youtube reviews seem disappointed with the custom mode, but to me the custom mode sound samples sound the best.

0rimus

Reaction score
I had a feeling a few smaller online retailers would get small batches. So I waited rather than preorder. The Music Den got 4 in. 3 sold in the shop over the weekend. The last one was listed on their site, and snagged by yours truly in Phoenix, Az, September 3rd. Super stoked.20210903_162123~2.jpg

kleinenenten

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a feeling a few smaller online retailers would get small batches. So I waited rather than preorder. The Music Den got 4 in. 3 sold in the shop over the weekend. The last one was listed on their site, and snagged by yours truly in Phoenix, Az, September 3rd. Super stoked.View attachment 97374
I believe I saw this picture on the HM-2 FB page! Congrats! I haven't ordered one either, and am waiting a bit for the demand to lessen. A buddy of mine has one on order though, so I'm hoping to hear it when he gets it. What are your initial impressions?

0rimus

Reaction score
Oh man. Idunno if it's the fact the OG HM-2 needs 12v (which I never once gave it), the fact that mine's old (1987) or what. But damn does the new one sound better!

I did a quick little 30 minute jam on my 7 string today since my bass is still in limbo. But yeah, for me it pretty much goes:

MIJ HM-2 > HM-2W in S mode > HM-2W in C mode

Once I put it in custom mode I almost couldn't bring myself to go back. Kinda surprised so many Youtubers are shitting on the Custom mode.

If I had to pick only one mode for it to be stuck on for eternity, Custom mode no doubt. But even in Standard mode it's noticeably less fizzy than the original.

I fucking love it.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
My hm-2w just showed up today. Going to try it out tomorrow. Never had one of the old ones before so it should be fun.

kleinenenten

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On the fence as I’ve picked up a V2 Angry Swede, do I need another one?
Yes.

I'm set for guitar HM-2s, but will likely get the HM-2w down the road. A buddy's got one on order, so I'll see what he thinks and likely give it a go. On the bass front, I'm looking at picking up a second Dunwich DIY HM-2. I wish I could build pedals as I know he's released the PCB etc.

MrWulf

Reaction score
If anyone wants a HM2 in plugin format for PC then Audiority just released the VST version of the Grindstein. It has additional pedals in the chain such as Klirrton's gate/boost and EQ pedal. I paid for that shit immediately and god does run it in front of a bass amp sounds godly

Necky379

Reaction score
I’m told Bear does wonderful HM-2 mods to MT-2’s. That’s all I know. I almost bought one of his MT-2’s last year used but I had to back out due to unexpected expenses.

kleinenenten

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m told Bear does wonderful HM-2 mods to MT-2’s. That’s all I know. I almost bought one of his MT-2’s last year used but I had to back out due to unexpected expenses.
I think I may HAVE to get one. He's about as "local" as it gets for such a niche pedal (he's in the same US state as I am, tough still a few hours away). I may need to find a reason to get in that area and meet the man in person.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Ordered a HM-2W, pretty excited. I'm also on a waitlist for the BYOC clone, but no idea when that'll be back in stock so I can build one.

I modded a bunch of MIJ HM-2s awhile back to be able to use 9V DC Jacks (one wire mod) and they still sounded pretty great. I'm interested to see how the Waza Craft one sounds. I've been listening to too much Gatecreeper..

kleinenenten

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ordered a HM-2W, pretty excited. I'm also on a waitlist for the BYOC clone, but no idea when that'll be back in stock so I can build one.

I modded a bunch of MIJ HM-2s awhile back to be able to use 9V DC Jacks (one wire mod) and they still sounded pretty great. I'm interested to see how the Waza Craft one sounds. I've been listening to too much Gatecreeper..
Is that a BYOC clone of the original, or the HM-2w? Because I rather like my BYOC Swede. It's my 2nd favorite HM-2 on guitar thus far, second only to the Peper's Pedals HM-TMC, but they're both incredibly close. As much as I like my modified HM-2s for bass, it seems I really just want a modern 4 knob clone for guitar. Gotta get the HM-2w one of these days.