Boss Katana gen 3…SOON

• Thread starter complex-barb.0t
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It seems like very small changes on the generations of Katanas. I am not even sure what Gen 3 is changing, other than letting you change the order of effects blocks.

I have even been looking at the GT-1000 CORE, wondering if it would be a good effects loop effects unit. It still seems like more of the same though.
Yeah the only thing I'd use the GT1000 series for is for effects and clean tones via 4cm

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah the only thing I'd use the GT1000 series for is for effects and clean tones via 4cm
Yeah, I am kind of wondering if it would be more transparent than Fractal units, and the HX Stomp. I know they have the lowest latency of them all.

I have been listening to some videos of them, and I am like, yup, sounds like a Boss modeler, lol. Sounds like a 90's distortion pedal sound.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, I am kind of wondering if it would be more transparent than Fractal units, and the HX Stomp. I know they have the lowest latency of them all.

I have been listening to some videos of them, and I am like, yup, sounds like a Boss modeler, lol. Sounds like a 90's distortion pedal sound.
Idk about the Fractal stuff but I've had bad luck with Helix stuff when it comes to using their FX loops. Noisy as all hell with high gain amps, and I've heard a couple of others with the same issue. Feel like the Boss would have it beat there.

But I mean you got a lot of pros using the Fractal stuff in their amp's FX loops, so I guess there's a reason. :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
Idk about the Fractal stuff but I've had bad luck with Helix stuff when it comes to using their FX loops. Noisy as all hell with high gain amps, and I've heard a couple of others with the same issue. Feel like the Boss would have it beat there.

But I mean you got a lot of pros using the Fractal stuff in their amp's FX loops, so I guess there's a reason. :lol:
I have used my Axe II and FM3 with my tube stuff, and it is pretty clear, but I notice it changes the dynamics. It loses some punch and smears the low end some. Many people probably dont care, or notice, but when critically listening, it is enough to bug me. I do think it is less noticeable as you go louder, so maybe it doesn't matter at 130db with IEMs, lol.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have used my Axe II and FM3 with my tube stuff, and it is pretty clear, but I notice it changes the dynamics. It loses some punch and smears the low end some. Many people probably dont care, or notice, but when critically listening, it is enough to bug me. I do think it is less noticeable as you go louder, so maybe it doesn't matter at 130db with IEMs, lol.
The amp's fx loop works better with line level devices (usually rack fx units), not instrument level ones 😉

Shask

Reaction score
The amp's fx loop works better with line level devices (usually rack fx units), not instrument level ones 😉
I tried it in the loop of my Synergy Syn 2, and also in between the Synergy and poweramp. Same difference.

Shask

Reaction score

Do all the effects on the HX Stomp allow you to do 100% mix? I wonder how it would work in a parallel mixer for effects.

torchlord

Reaction score
They need to add the slot for the Bluetooth adapter (like the Katana Bass amps have), along with a mobile version of Katana Tone Studio. They also need to put a power section in the head version that can drive a 4-ohm cabinet with authority.

Boss have yet to bring their more serious efforts in amp modeling to the Katana amps. Even then, I wouldn’t count on them being at the top end of amp modeling platforms. Have you noticed that the Katanas tend to specialize in modeling Boss pedals more than anything else?

I think that gimmick has run its course.

There’s no way I’d buy it if they put tubes in it. Part of the appeal of the Katana Head Mk II for me was the consistency and convenience of a small solid-state amp paired with pretty extensive app capabilities.
Oh, of course likely because it wouldn't be cheap anymore. I just hope they have updated the components in the Katana's since the first one came out. I had to replace the transformer one time and on the second failure the board to the amp had some thing go bad. I got it back from the amp fix guy and it went down again. I haven't touched it since. My tube amps have been more reliable.