Boss MS-3 Multi Effects Switcher

• Thread starter xCaptainx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Setup complete! Smallest 4CM multi effects I've ever had.

lpiLKFl.jpg

yqQsvCa.jpg

rte0CIN.jpg

Last edited:

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
How is this pedal much different or better than something like the gt-100. Besides its a little cheaper. But what can it do that the gt100 cannot?

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
That's quite a large question.

This is primarily a loop controller first. It's not the first that Boss have created, they have larger ones for 5 and 8 loops.

This is primarily for people who may want to control three seperate loops.

The major selling point for me was that it has 112 build in effects from the existing GT range. FX1 slot, FX2 slot, Delay, Reverb, Mod plus the three loops, tuner, noise gate, expression pedal for volume/wah/pitch/effects parameters.

I'm using it as a smaller mini multi effects as the Boss GT range of effects are strong and by using this, I replaced my existing pedalboard and added much more functionality.

So it really had two purposes. It allowed you to control existing pedals via the loops and/or minimise the rest of your pedalboard through the use of it's in built effects range, which themselves are very good.

It's not a GT-100 replacement, as it doesn't do amp modelling or the sort. It's a looper with in built effects.

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
I just received mine Friday and I am in love. It is exactly what I needed. I no longer have to dance around my pedalboard to go from a dry heavy sound to a clean with chorus and reverb. One click, instant change with no lag whatsoever.

nerdywhale

Reaction score
Necrobump, just wanted to see what Ross is thinking about the MS-3, coming up to the 2 month mark. Getting an itchy trigger finger for one! :)

hvdh

Reaction score
Bit late to the party. This thing is so advanced that it can trigger and control everything in Tha House.
A BOSS indeed!

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
I was reading up on the MS-3 and found that if you setup 4ch with Loop 2, then Loop 1 can be in front of the amp, and Loop 3 can be in the fx loop. See here:

BOSS said:
Connections would be as follows: (For this example use LOOP 2 (PRE AMP of AMP)
This will allow for the effect/stomp box in LOOP 1 to be before PRE AMP and the effect/stomp box in LOOP 3 after PRE AMP)
- GUITAR/BASS to INPUT of MS-3.
- MS-3 LOOP 2 SEND to AMP INPUT.
- AMP EFFECTS LOOP SEND to MS-3 LOOP 2 RETURN.
- MS-3 OUTPUT L/MONO to AMP EFFECTS LOOP RETURN.
- ACTIVATE turn ON LOOP 2 (PRE AMP of AMP)

https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowledge_base/115002871046/

PBGas

Reaction score
I have 2 of these units! One of them I use with my amp pedalboard via 4CM and the other goes to my board that I use to run direct to FOH. I had one go bad on me in the summer and returned it so I decided to re-visit it again and now with the editor and software updates, it is a fantastic little unit. No issues and works great! So easy to edit and update via USB.

hvdh

Reaction score
Great unit. Small multi multi flexible and paid Euro 380.
Perfect volume mitigator for and with my EVH 5153 50.

matisq

Reaction score
I'm having it too and love it!
Great MIDI functionality, very good drives.
I'm using it to control Strymon Timeline and Marshall JVM205 and it's just perfect!
qIvfhysJ3IglljYKnnEEacMQP_v4D6oJrbd5wr7X81oOQphyiJePFtJ_Ex2QV4WVXBOe-gLBb6QM4J1laFoUBFkoyuexj8PFA9-BHYjX4EzTFj6nX5KYG_vVnCj3_v6Bn2wz39l2BD1er42Pnh1Y_070Odvu6sYajAKW8tHquye-P7iIqBPRQ1dAwL9hbEbYzQhfXN3WL1YC3qQOpId7VW8sbjdGoBBLc56BU44huzi0Jo6-AD0C1bSI71ometZilA42qHYKSi90TyMZm4HEy2r8nczRkcG1h619ydM5RutxVhj3eimslbpKq4o2anx1QMjFx7a8h1CVU9srEs9Ibg6kmlzAFEZOglERZVZ518WIY9MU5V0ybJmED-SivrhDvlIWrCJX-2qadYHje8xMp9Gqy70VklufsUy5O0vESPwqckEFUKMMxqvBCCEaFihPA9kL0U1fntfNGAHEHTFDANFsUYEQvIrGprD4vfRyqIRI64OpCgqsu_6EDOjUm_n46mXVRPZwEAwNn8r4so7G5z2N6EqcTY6i08bUtHWTv4M-Ro9z-SJRQheLsmk0opV_AZMsvkcYbibmQCym8NjiQvfiWkYaPC_SD1jokh2V3Mg1EuOHwfKk3adhcS-9qULjQxRzT9GJf4xiwR59C-YHluqyaOk=w1544-h1029-no

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
What kind of tone suck are you seeing with the MS3 as compared to the pedals direct?

tupesaku

Reaction score
I got a MS-3 a while ago and gotta say it's pretty amazing! And the price is really reasonable too...only thing is that I had to wait for a looooong time to get it, it was out from every where I was looking for. Finally Thomann got one that I ordered the second I noticed it :)

I'm using mine in 4CM with a Taurus Stomp Head 4 HG. Also have a Precision Drive in the loop, and a Mini Cry Baby and a Whammy Ricochet in front of everything.

Really loving this setup...everything in one very compact pedalboard!

20180127_210603_resized.jpg

PBGas

Reaction score
What kind of tone suck are you seeing with the MS3 as compared to the pedals direct?

I am not experiencing any tone suck whatsoever. I’ve switched it out and take it out of the loop of my BE-50 and tried to hear a difference and there is not. Works great!

hvdh

Reaction score
Bit of a necro bump. But experiencing some trouble with the unit.
1 signal clipping when strumming hard or digging in E and A
strings. Reducing signal with volumepedal block does not help. There might be a buffer problem.
2 1.9 dB increase in the mid frequencies bandwith around 2,2 KHz.

any of the owners here experiencing one of the same problems?

BTW to make sure it is the unit I changed guitar, cables, headphones, I even connected my headphones directly in to the unit. The clipping and freq bump stay.

Already have an appointment at the Boss/Roland repair man.
So wish me luck.

maggotspawn

Reaction score
I just snagged another one, making 3 for different rigs.
Running them 4CM. It is like a Swiss Army Knife.
Does everything I need.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I just snagged another one, making 3 for different rigs.
Running them 4CM. It is like a Swiss Army Knife.
Does everything I need.
Curious as to how you use them. For switching and the built in effects? I've considered grabbing one for my stereo preamp pedal rig.