Brand New Ibanez Prestige Neck Problem

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Hey guys, I posted a NGD a while ago with my RG652 AHM. Ive always set up my own guitars but I was having some trouble getting the buzz out of this one and could see a clear "hump" on the low E string side only and no truss rod or bridge height adjustment could get it to my satisfaction in terms of playability without buzz so I brought it to the best tech in my city.

After we worked on it for about an hour he came to the conclusion that this hump in the neck is causing the problem. He explained that maple fretboards are the most volatile of woods and this can happen. Its kind of disappointing as I love the guitar but I know it could play so much better if it werent for this problem.

The guitar plays pretty well, but for the price of it, I wanted it to be the best. The high E string action and playability is consistent all the way through, but the low E A and D strings have that buzzing in the 2-5th freth, and of course to remedy that the action is higher and quite high over the 12th fret despite the neck being set straight, which makes it not that much fun to play.

I got the guitar from from an online retailer and have had it for a while now. Im in Canada so its possible it was fine in the factory and through shipping the wood "shifted" into the cold climate.

Anyway, Im pretty disappointed, I can get the action better on my $500 Jackson guitars and just wanted to share my frustration and ask if anyone has any ideas, at this point I dont think returning it is an option and Id rather fix it if possible.

Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
if it's a neck warp or a hump it's a pretty complicated procedure to fix. Where is it on the fretboard?

neoclassical85

Reaction score
I think you should bring it up to the retailer who sold it to you, as it sounds like a warranty case issue (and you should be able to claim that for at least 1 year after purchase, I think - 2 years actually here in Europe).

Ill give them a call at lunch and see what they say. This is the problem with buying online, I got rid of the box a long time ago. Going forward I think Ill always buy guitars from our retail store in Canada, even if it takes 6 months for it to come in (which is what they quoted me, which was why I went the online route and got it in a week).

Phlegethon

Reaction score
I think you should bring it up to the retailer who sold it to you, as it sounds like a warranty case issue (and you should be able to claim that for at least 1 year after purchase, I think - 2 years actually here in Europe).

This. You bought a 652, and not some 300 or 400 series MII RG. Considering how much more MIJ is in Canada compared to the overinflated prices retailers are asking for said MII RG's? No sense in keeping the guitar given the kind of problem you have. No excuses for Ibanez on this issue ... it should've never left the factory.

That being said, what happened to the case? Last time I recall all MIJ instruments came with one along with the case candy.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
This. You bought a 652, and not some 300 or 400 series MII RG. Considering how much more MIJ is in Canada compared to the overinflated prices retailers are asking for said MII RG's? No sense in keeping the guitar given the kind of problem you have. No excuses for Ibanez on this issue ... it should've never left the factory.

That being said, what happened to the case? Last time I recall all MIJ instruments came with one along with the case candy.

Hey thanks for the response. I do have the beautiful case it came in, but I don't have the box sweetwater shipped it in which is required for returns. Im going to call them.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Definitely try to return it.

This isn't really an Ibanez problem as much as it is just the nature of things made from wood. Every guitar could have this problem regardless of who makes it or how much it costs.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick update, I contacted sweetwater and they have such amazing service (highly recommend), they offered me 3 options:

• Exchange for a new guitar once it arrives. I would put you in line for a replacement and you would be welcome to play the guitar you have until the replacement arrives.
• Exchange for a different color or model of guitar. This would actually be a return/sale of a different guitar. I will be glad to help with this.
• Take the guitar to a local repair tech for a second opinion. We would be glad to reimburse you for the repair cost, up to $80

So it seems like Im taken care of! Just out of curiosity, what other guitars would you guys consider in that price range $1600USD or more, I might as well look at some other options in case I decide to get a different guitar instead of replacing this current one. I was going to go for a EBMM JP6 originally but Im not a big fan of owning a signature guitar with someone elses name on it, and I wasnt big on any of the colors/finishes they had in stock. I mainly only play lead and solo stuff over backing tracks. Thanks!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick update, I contacted sweetwater and they have such amazing service (highly recommend), they offered me 3 options:

• Exchange for a new guitar once it arrives. I would put you in line for a replacement and you would be welcome to play the guitar you have until the replacement arrives.
• Exchange for a different color or model of guitar. This would actually be a return/sale of a different guitar. I will be glad to help with this.
• Take the guitar to a local repair tech for a second opinion. We would be glad to reimburse you for the repair cost, up to $80

So it seems like Im taken care of! Just out of curiosity, what other guitars would you guys consider in that price range $1600USD or more, I might as well look at some other options in case I decide to get a different guitar instead of replacing this current one. I was going to go for a EBMM JP6 originally but Im not a big fan of owning a signature guitar with someone elses name on it, and I wasnt big on any of the colors/finishes they had in stock. I mainly only play lead and solo stuff over backing tracks. Thanks!

Honestly, that Ibby is a pretty good value compared to other stuff in that price range. You don't really get something comparable to the Prestige line through most other manufacturers until you quite a bit more expensive. Since Prestige are Ibanez's top tier (other than J Custom) and made in Japan. Country of manufacture isn't everything, of course. However, a Japanese ESP, US-made Music Man, Schecter, or Jackson is going to set you back a lot further than a comparable MIJ Ibanez at this point in time.

However, I get not wanting to wait however long it would take to exchange for another similar one.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Honestly, that Ibby is a pretty good value compared to other stuff in that price range. You don't really get something comparable to the Prestige line through most other manufacturers until you quite a bit more expensive. Since Prestige are Ibanez's top tier (other than J Custom) and made in Japan. Country of manufacture isn't everything, of course. However, a Japanese ESP, US-made Music Man, Schecter, or Jackson is going to set you back a lot further than a comparable MIJ Ibanez at this point in time.

However, I get not wanting to wait however long it would take to exchange for another similar one.

Thanks man, I don't mind waiting, the guitar is still very playable just has some annoying buzz and the action isnt as good as I'd like on the low strings on the higher frets. I love Jackson's

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Thanks man, I don't mind waiting, the guitar is still very playable just has some annoying buzz and the action isnt as good as I'd like on the low strings on the higher frets. I love Jackson's

And would definitely consider something from their lineup even if it were more expensive.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering sending back my 652ahmfx. Sighting the neck, it seems like the bass side past the body joint has a touch of heel rise but the treble side does not. I've adjusted the neck from barely any relief all the way up to .010 and can't seem to rid the buzz from the low E and partially on the A. Fret rocker shows a couple frets BARELY high, but so minor that I don't think the action I have it set at should be buzzing. When I got it, it played pretty decent but the action was set to 6/64" bass tapered to 5/64" treble which will make most guitars play cleanly, but I bought a prestige for low action so mehhhhh. I gotta do some more investigation.

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
This thread hits a recent sore spot for me.

I recently scored a pristine RGR5221 off reverb and the day I got it I felt like something wasn’t quite right on it but it didn’t play horrible. Took it to my tech the next day and he looked down the neck and said it had a twist. It was a 2020 manufactured guitar. I sent it back to the dealer the next day for a refund which I got. It really sucked though because it was beautiful and MINT

Ibanez is having a major issue with their neck QC. I thought a 5pc laminate neck was supposed to be bulletproof against warping but apparently not

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
MIJ guitars can be over 4 grand up here . Hit up the dealer and get a replacement . I’ve returned expensive instruments for less than that , no shame

lost_horizon

Reaction score

Can you return it for a refund?

Yamaha YSG-T2 US $500 delivered
14inch radius
25.5 inch scale
Set Neck
Maple Top Alder back
Yamaha Branded Gotoh Magnum Locks
Made in Japan
Jumbo Frets
Trem if you want to w@nk out
only downside is 3 piece maple neck 😜🤔

ysg.JPGysg2.JPGysg3.JPG