What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Shask

Reaction score
Spent a couple hours this afternoon with my HX Stomp to finally learn how it works and also I was curious about the built in drives and how they compare to my pedals. The drives are really good, I just dismissed them as being digital and that they wouldn't sound that great outside of with their modeling, but I was definitely wrong. As a boost, I like it better than anything else on my board.

My individual pedals definitely seem to have quite a bit more gain range than the similar models in the Stomp for the most part. The KoT is similar in range to my Golden Boy, but the Golden Boy absolutely destroys it as a drive in front of a clean amp - as a drive into a dirty amp, the Stomp's KoT is much better. I don't really care for the RAT in it, so I'm hoping the Large Mouse module for my Asabi works better there. The HM-2 also isn't nearly as good as the OD-200's X-Metal, which is similar in grind but better in every single way - still, not really a sound I need since I have several high gain amps. The boost on the Asabi still fairs really well to the Stomp, but my main boost on my board has been the OD-1 setting in the OD-200 and I much prefer the SD-1 in the Stomp.

Gonna give it some more time and decide what to do next, but I might end up selling several of my ODs in favor of the Helix models. That said - I also made a bunch of patches with my expression pedal and that thing is just way too fun. I spent at least an hour messing around with the pitch and wah effects. Also pretty cool to assign a drive's gain control to it and play clean passages and then switch to super heavy chugging and back without any effort.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with all the empty space on the board if I do end up moving some drives... Was gonna pick up a Wampler Pantheon Deluxe and a Kernom Ridge but I'm not sure if I need either now...
Just reduce down to a smaller board :)

I know I have tons of pedals, but I rarely ever use more than like 3 or so at a time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Just reduce down to a smaller board :)

I know I have tons of pedals, but I rarely ever use more than like 3 or so at a time.
I just bought my board and downsized quite a bit from the old one (in size, not pedals) :lol: Doubt I'll get as good a deal as I got on it. Maybe I'll just add a second expression pedal or something? Or maybe wireless??

Shask

Reaction score
I just bought my board and downsized quite a bit from the old one (in size, not pedals) :lol: Doubt I'll get as good a deal as I got on it. Maybe I'll just add a second expression pedal or something? Or maybe wireless??
Do you run in stereo? Something like a Mimiq pedal could be cool. I have been looking at those.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
So in an exceptionally high level of fail this item that was listed as "Used Fender Tone Master 100W Tube Guitar Amp Head" is actually one of these

So that will be going back as soon as I get a chance to run it over to GC
Fucking CLASSIC Guitar Center. What a bunch of pud stains.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Spent a couple hours this afternoon with my HX Stomp to finally learn how it works and also I was curious about the built in drives and how they compare to my pedals. The drives are really good, I just dismissed them as being digital and that they wouldn't sound that great outside of with their modeling, but I was definitely wrong. As a boost, I like it better than anything else on my board.

My individual pedals definitely seem to have quite a bit more gain range than the similar models in the Stomp for the most part. The KoT is similar in range to my Golden Boy, but the Golden Boy absolutely destroys it as a drive in front of a clean amp - as a drive into a dirty amp, the Stomp's KoT is much better. I don't really care for the RAT in it, so I'm hoping the Large Mouse module for my Asabi works better there. The HM-2 also isn't nearly as good as the OD-200's X-Metal, which is similar in grind but better in every single way - still, not really a sound I need since I have several high gain amps. The boost on the Asabi still fairs really well to the Stomp, but my main boost on my board has been the OD-1 setting in the OD-200 and I much prefer the SD-1 in the Stomp.

Gonna give it some more time and decide what to do next, but I might end up selling several of my ODs in favor of the Helix models. That said - I also made a bunch of patches with my expression pedal and that thing is just way too fun. I spent at least an hour messing around with the pitch and wah effects. Also pretty cool to assign a drive's gain control to it and play clean passages and then switch to super heavy chugging and back without any effort.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with all the empty space on the board if I do end up moving some drives... Was gonna pick up a Wampler Pantheon Deluxe and a Kernom Ridge but I'm not sure if I need either now...
I do like most of the drives in the Helix except for the SD1. Compared to my real one, it's got waaaaaay too much midrange. Adds an unpleasant mid character to anything I tried to boost it with. So I use either the Pillars or the Compulsion drive.
Finally nailed it down, I'm gonna ditch my Gus G & Hellraiser to pick up an EC-201FT and just throw an EMG81 in the bridge. Last time I bought a new guitar, it was my Tele and it's been dynamite to me, so I like to think it'll be another W.

I don't need anything fancy, just a no frills riff machine and that's what these are meant to be.
Yeeeeas. I really am thinking about getting an M-201HT to do the same thing.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeeeeas. I really am thinking about getting an M-201HT to do the same thing.

I was a fool to let my other Eclipse go, but c'est la vie, not gonna cry over it since I'm sure it's getting use, and I know this one will beat any Epi LP Jr any day of the week for value.

If the M one didn't have side dots, it'd also be in the running.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Do you run in stereo? Something like a Mimiq pedal could be cool. I have been looking at those.
I don't. I mean, I could since I have more amps than slots on my head switcher. I'll have to check out the Mimiq. I was looking at the Strymon Deco earlier and that might be a consideration. Tape Saturation plus a doubler would be cool and it has MIDI so it'd fit into my board perfectly.
I do like most of the drives in the Helix except for the SD1. Compared to my real one, it's got waaaaaay too much midrange. Adds an unpleasant mid character to anything I tried to boost it with. So I use either the Pillars or the Compulsion drive.
Interesting. I've never actually owned an SD-1, but I really liked the OD-1 setting on the OD-200. The Helix isn't as aggressive in the top end as the Boss pedal is, but it seems to tighten an amp way better - the Boss actually gets it tighter but it adds this weird metallic clang that's almost like a feedback undertone. I tried to gate it out but no dice; funny - I didn't even notice it until I was A/Bing it with the Stomp, though. The Pillars is definitely the best one in there for this application though.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I talked myself out of a Fender DeVille 410, I'm so proud of myself. It would be a sick pair with the L7 but I have already spent waaaaaay too much on gear this summer.
I had one of these back in my gigging days, pretty sweet amp for the money, especially these days. You'll end up grabbing one someday and I bet you'll dig it. Making a little cart with casters for it was a must as well, thing is so top heavy.

Shask

Reaction score
I don't. I mean, I could since I have more amps than slots on my head switcher. I'll have to check out the Mimiq. I was looking at the Strymon Deco earlier and that might be a consideration. Tape Saturation plus a doubler would be cool and it has MIDI so it'd fit into my board perfectly.

Interesting. I've never actually owned an SD-1, but I really liked the OD-1 setting on the OD-200. The Helix isn't as aggressive in the top end as the Boss pedal is, but it seems to tighten an amp way better - the Boss actually gets it tighter but it adds this weird metallic clang that's almost like a feedback undertone. I tried to gate it out but no dice; funny - I didn't even notice it until I was A/Bing it with the Stomp, though. The Pillars is definitely the best one in there for this application though.
The SD-1 is basically an OD-1 with a tone control.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
The Viper never gets enogh love. I think it's cooler than the proper SG shape.
my options for a new viper are 256 or 1000 or the viper 7 black metal IM STILL FUCKING MAD ABOUT THAT WHY JUST A 7 AND NOT A 6 TOO

Im nearing narad levels of "ESP is allergic to my money"

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
my options for a new viper are 256 or 1000 or the viper 7 black metal IM STILL FUCKING MAD ABOUT THAT WHY JUST A 7 AND NOT A 6 TOO

Im nearing narad levels of "ESP is allergic to my money"
Don't forget the RM-600. Also look into the guild polara. It has SG/viper vibes but single humbucker.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

From what I can tell it sounds like the frequency of the midrange of the Helix Stupor Drive is brought down a bit. It still cuts the same amount of bass but it's less trebly and more midrangey. A real SD-1 is crazy bright

Shask

Reaction score

I think the HX Stomp has some sort of double tracker effect that is based on the Mimiq, but I am not sure if it is as good.

Could always go the other way and get something like a Q-Tron pedal.